1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutch] TyTy & Garuba were casualties 4 Lopez chase

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 2, 2023.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

No.

This is the point of the moves made.

We had the 21ish million in space to offer Lopez.

So we set up a trade looking like this from the Rox perspective:
    Out
    Garuba + Christopher + TyTy + Martin + two 2nds

In
    Brooks and a second

Because the trade had been agreed, we go ahead with it.
    Lopez takes more $ to stay in Milwaukee.
    We pay Landale...

vince likes this.
  2. a time to chill

So, we traded Garuba and TyTy to Atlanta to clear cap space for Lopez, and once Lopez pulled out we still had to go through with the trades? Doesn’t really make sense if true. I thought the Rockets were always intending to sign Brooks, so they were going to have to clear cap space anyway.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

and honestly...
    if Lopez used us as leverage to get himself a better contract... i can live with that, it is what it is... at least we didnt help that narcissistic b*stard Hard-on put the screws to Morey... lol! ;)

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

what? 'compensation' for an expiring contract? but but but... i was always told expiring contracts were a good thing. lol

vince likes this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I really liked garuba.

Didn't think he was gonna b a star but he was a smart player u would want on your bench. Hopefully he comes back to us in the future

6. a time to chill

7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We really need a interior defender, who can block shots and Sengun does not offered that. This was a great free agency but we need a interior defender. Sengun can still start but we need a Capela or a Myles Turner to block shot under our basket. We do not have a interior stopper. I think Amen and FVV are going to very good defenders who can put pressure on the ball handler especially Amen being 6’7 and Dillion Brooks to be our perimeter defender, to go against the team top scorer. Brooks plays like a Ron Artest. However, we do not have that interior defender who can stop layup drills from the other team. We almost had Lopez but it’s hard to take a player from a Championship Team. Honestly, they have a chance to win the title this year.

Hui likes this.
  8. Rokman

Rokman Member

And he did a solid on the Rockets org. If this $hit is true and they fueking traded TyTy and Garyba for nothing Tilman should 100% fire Stone!!!

I'm PISSED!!! WTH is wrong with this org. Back out of the other deals you damn morons!!!

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sengun blocks more shots than Jokic does. We will be fine, especially now that we have much better defenders around Sengun.

All of our young high potential guys need to step it up, but most of all, it's Jabari, who was awful for 3/4 of last season.

10. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Garuba + Jaygup + TyTy + Martin adds up total $9.33M, that's not even half of Brooks' contract, i assume it takes a big part of the "21ish million in space to offer Lopez" to offer Dillon?

another way to sum it up, we had at most $64M before free agency starts, adding that $9.33M and minus Mills' $6.8M come in, we have around $67M to work. FVV takes around $41M, that leaves roughly $26M. they saves $6M to sign uncle Jeff so that's the $20-$21M left to sign ONE of Brook or Brooks.

can't imagine if we could have signed all FVV $41M + Brook $21M + Brooks $20M = $82M, no matter how they shed the youngsters' rookie contracts

11. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

upload_2023-7-2_12-33-3.jpeg

12. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Would've been a great backup PF or depth center. Now our PF rotation consists of 50 TS% Jabari Smith and 6'4 JaeSean Tate. Well done, Stone.

vince likes this.
  13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

So basically Stone didn't read the room correctly and then made the moves. honestly in pretty annoyed at all the assets given up with nothing to show for it. You should have contingency upon contingency.

Drift Monkey and bcast89 like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This whole story feels like PR to cover up for Stone's failures.

He could have just agreed with Atlanta to do this, contingent upon the Lopez deal going through.

Also:

Anyway, just trust in Alpi like Denver trusted Jokic.

Drift Monkey, invocux and vince like this.
  15. vince

vince Member

Brook and his agent apparently screwed over the Rockets big time. Wow!!!

With Brook Lopez on the team, the team was going to be a premier defensive team. Now there is a gaping black hole at the rim for the defense. Segune is great, but he’s a below average defensive player.

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like they had a verbal agreement with Brook and he backed out on the deal. Not sure how you can blame Stone for not reading things correctly? He needed to make the moves to make sure it all fit.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’m not mad at losing these guys, Garuba will probably be in Europe soon, TyTy can be a decent backup point but would be 4th string on this team. JC could be a nice scorer off the bench but had to be moved for a variety of reasons

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Because Stone made.moved based on expectations that he should know might not pan out (players back out all the time).

So his failures are:

Poor read on Lopez

Gave up too much just to open space

Not signaling to other teams there's contingency (Morey always says he can open up space but don't do it until bird in hand).

Still going through with it, like does he really need good will with the Hawks?

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

Stones smugness makes me sick. I don't like him at all!!

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

If you're not mad about how badly the Rockets allowed themselves to get clowned on all this, you're a much better person than me because I'm pretty damn pissed. Yesterday was a **** show of epic proportions. A professional organization doesn't run like this.