1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] What are you playing? (Omikron Edition)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Beezy

Beezy Member

Currently playing Diablo 4 on Series S (I have a PS5 also but do most of my gaming on Xbox). Runs perfectly fine and controls very nicely with a controller.

You can buy a 1 year Xbox Gold subscription (or longer) and pay for 1 month of Game Pass Ultimate, and your entire Gold subscription will be converted 1:1 to Game Pass Ultimate.

#361 Beezy, Jun 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Someday when I sell my Andre the Giant action figure (still in the box) I'll be able to afford subscriptions. Until then I'll be buying discounted gift cards at Dollar Tree and drinking wine from Costco (Joel Gott Cabernet ftw).

FranchiseBlade and ThatBoyNick like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You know how you can go to Walmart and buy a movie disc for 19.99, or subscribe to Netflix and have digital access to thousands of movies for 9.99 each month?

Now you have the same choice with games. Game Pass is the name of Xbox's gaming subscription service, and PS Plus is the name of the Playstation subscription service. You no longer need the physical game discs to play games, you can just download them digitally on the console.

Depending on which generation console you have, a new game will usually cost you either 59.99 for old gen (Ps4 / Xbox One) or 69.99 for the new gen (Ps5/Xbox Series S or X)

The subscription services cost around 10-15 per month. Xbox's Game Pass, for example, has the newest MLB game, Halo game, and Forza Racing game (amongst hundreds of other games) These are 3 games I play and would buy new, to buy all 3 of them individually would cost me $210 on my next-gen Xbox. If I were to instead buy a Game Pass subscription for a year, it would only cost $120. All 3 of those games are included in the subscription service, so I could get access to those same 3 games I want and still have access to literally hundreds of other games to play on top of those, for a hundred dollars cheaper over the course of a year.

It's a good value for most people, but not everyone. If you only play 1 new game a year, or prefer to buy games older, on sale, used, or physical discs, and perhaps don't care to get a new generation system, then buying a PS4 or Xbox One, and your 1 or 2 games that you want would be the way to go. If your fine going used you can get a pretty decent haul of old gen console + game packages on Ebay or at GameStop for cheap.

#363 ThatBoyNick, Jun 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
    Deckard and peleincubus like this.
  4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Back to not-E3 stuff, Ubisoft is making a Star Wars game...and I think I like it?

Deckard and Yung-T like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. There are tons of options for mining, crafting, base building, ship customization, and you can have a fleet of ships. There are more than 1000 planets to which you can travel and explore. They said that if you are on a planet and see a moon, you could fly there and explore it.

I could see myself doing so much of the other stuff that it would take me one thousand hours of gameplay.

It is Bethesda so there will undoubtedly be bugs at release, but I feel like that's kind of to be expected. I just hope some of them are funny.

I'm basing all of this just off of their presentation. I'm beyond excited.

Andre0087 and Blatz like this.
  6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Bought myself a 7900XT. I probably shouldn't have since I didn't need to. My 3060Ti FE that I got at launch has been solid for games I play, which aren't AAA titles and have simpler graphics. I ordered a 1440p 165Hz monitor that I had to import from China since the US market hates 24" monitors.

Now with the Steam sale, I'm looking into getting Elden Ring. Never played any Souls games or had any interest, but I figured I should make use of these upgrades. Or maybe Jedi Survivor. Never played Fallen Order and not a Star Wars person, but I did like Jedi Knights 2 back in 2002. Diablo 4 is on the maybe list, but from what I've heard, it's nothing special that Diablo 3 or POE haven't done. I'm welcome to any opinions.

RC Cola likes this.
  7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Congrats on the new card!

24 inch and 1440p is not a good combo from a math standpoint. Its technical, and a long explanation, but the science suggests you should either go 24 inch 1080p or 27inch 1440p, for the best experience.

Some graphical standout games, which includes using the Ray Tracing setting (real life reflections-gorgeous but demanding)
    Cyberpunk
    God of War
    Forza Horizons 5
    Death Stranding
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    The Last of Us
    Farcry 6
    Control

Yung-T and RC Cola like this.
  8. RC Cola

FYI if you're sensitive to inconsistent frame times/poor performance (especially shader compilation stutter), Jedi Survivor is possibly one of the worst games to get:

I think it received a few patches, and might be slightly better, but still fairly poor IIRC. If you have no idea what any of this means, just forget what I'm saying and you'll likely enjoy the game. :)

FWIW, most *big* console games that received PC ports have similar poor performance/issues. The Last of Us, Dead Space, Callisto Protocol, Forspoken, etc., all had issues along these lines (and occasionally isues with poor texture quality). Probably not worth getting into specifics, but there's basically a huge flaw (IMO) in how games are developed on PC right now (vs console), and all these games suffer from those flaws.

CyberPunk and a few other games are pretty awesome technically speaking. I criticized CyberPunk *hard* on their terrible launch, but honestly their tech and general technical quality (especially now) is much better than most others (especially excluding consoles).

Elden Ring is a technical mess and not very impressive technically, but I think with decent specs, you should be able to get pretty good performance from it. The games are usually so good that we all just overlook that each of these games are the development equivalent of a Dillon Brooks contested jumpshot.

Yung-T likes this.
  9. Duncan McDonuts

I understand the PPI part for 24" and I don't necessarily agree with it. 24" 1440p PPI is a little less than 32" 4k which people seem to like. Plus I'd rather stick with 24" monitors as it's the preferred size for FPS games. 27" is too wide for my desk size.

The console exclusive ports never really interested me. Plus, like RC Cola said, the ports have been terribly optimized for PC. I don't expect my hardware will have any issues, but still, kinda meh to me for gameplay.

Cyberpunk is a maybe. I've heard the updates make it more playable. Bought Farcry5 a month ago to scratch that FPS itch. It was fun, but I ran into the same repetitive gameplay boredom that I felt in FC2.

If I do try Jedi Survivor, I heard that I should play Fallen Order first. Maybe it'll give the developers time to iron out the bugs.

I haven't really been too interested in any AAA games lately. I mostly play Genshin still and Mordhau every night lol. But I gotta justify this GPU upgrade somehow.

RC Cola likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Whatever works for you is best. I game on an ancient system that is a 2-monitor setup. The main one is a 32" 1440p monitor in landscape mode and the 2nd one is where I dump my chat windows and other apps that are running - it's a 27" in portrait mode. That works for me. I can't see myself ever gaming or typing on anything smaller than a 32" monitor anymore, though.

Even on the new one I'm building (uh, someday), though I'll be getting a new 32"-ish main monitor, I still think I'm leaning toward a 1440p monitor instead of a 4k. I need to head to MicroCenter and check out some 4k monitors with text. I don't want to keep scaling stuff to make things just right and text used to be wonky on 4k monitors even though games were awesome. I'll be using my PC for things other than just games, so that would make it more important.

The other thing you need to make sure is the CPU you're using isn't the bottleneck or the performance of the video card won't matter because the CPU will bottleneck it.

11. RC Cola

FWIW, I wouldn't count on them ironing out the bugs (well performance issues to be more specific). At least not significantly. Besides the fact that many devs just dump games on PC and never bother to support them beyond release (and *any* support should be met with immense praise), I think the issues with Jedi Survivor are pretty deep. Unless Epic puts out a huge UE4 update *and* Respawn thinks it is worth incorporating that update into a new patch, doubt it happens.

Also the stutter will likely happen on any hardware, though the better the hardware (usually CPU moreso than GPU), the less significant it will be. That's what makes these ports so bad. Doesn't matter if you spent $10K on PC components. You still get performance issues worse than consoles (though you can at least up the resolution and whatnot).

Played CP2077 a little while back (maybe 6-9 months? probably talked about it here?). It was fine for me, and if anything, I was very impressed by it. I have an Nvidia GPU (so I used DLSS hard), but guessing it should still perform well on AMD GPUs.

Yung-T and Duncan McDonuts like this.
  12. Duncan McDonuts

To be honest, I'm pretty sure my monitor has been the bottleneck lol. I have a 5800x and 32GB DDR4 that I built in late 2021. My 3060Ti was capable of 1440p gaming but I couldn't find a good 24" 1440p with high refresh rate. I use 27" monitors at work where the size is better for productivity. But I just don't like that size for gaming.

My new monitor should arrive sometime soon. Shipping from China is slow. I didn't plan to get a new GPU, but these AMD price drops were too enticing. My work computer is gonna get the 3060Ti, which'll be a nice upgrade from the old 770 I put in there.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. I was ready to build a PC but then saw the issues with overheating/fire that 4090s were having and some new AMD cpus were having combined with needing a separate nuclear reactor to power Intel CPUs and 4090s. Then I started seeing a lot of mobo issues from big manufacturers and thought I'd wait... again. I think AMD dropped the price on 7900 XT's by about a $100 just because it was overpriced, but I'm still pissed a lot of the higher-end overpriced cards are still priced where they are even though they have dropped a bit. Right now, I'm still leaning toward a 7900 XTX for my next build but not happy about the price.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Yeah, the 4090 connector cables were melting due to poor contacts being bent. Now the 7800x3d is melting because there's no temp failsafe on the motherboards. I have no plans to upgrade to those premium parts but I like keeping up with the hardware youtubers.

I was seriously eyeing a 6950xt as their prices have been dropping, but my hesitation was the power draw turning my room into a furnace. For that reason, the 4070 was a good competitor, but the low VRAM seems like it'll limit the card's lifespan. I was constantly checking open box cards 4070s, 4070Tis, and 7900XTs from Best Buy. Open box excellent conditions are automatically 20% off if you can find one that ships to you.

The only reason I jumped on the 7900XT is because the Sapphire went down to $720 on Amazon and that brand seems to have the least coil whine issues. That seemed like the best value with longevity in the $500-$800 range I could budget. The 7800XT doesn't seem like it'll be anything special.

Andre0087 likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They've since found out that cables that were seated properly and "clicked" were still melting. Even 3rd party cables/adapters from guys like CableMod because even though it's still built under spec, they were still wiggling in the GPU socket. That was when I basically said I'll wait and see what all is going on with the latest CPUs, mobos, and GPUs. These are freaky times. lol.

Yeah, I try to keep up with the latest stuff when I'm buying because I generally buy mid-range to lower-upper range parts and then use them until they either die or become archaic.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  16. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Diablo 4 on ps5 is awesome.

17. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Anybody playing Demeo? Never played a tabletop rpg but this got its hooks in me.

RC Cola likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I’ve surprisingly enjoyed NFS unbound since it came out on gamepass

I haven’t liked a NFS game in over 15 years, this one is oddly fun

RC Cola likes this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Stupid D4 stealing my valuable time when I know I'll probably never beat Echo of Lillith, yet here I am grinding stupid gear over and over.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I know you're not complaining about grinding gear in DIablo. :D Is there another reason to play Diablo?

I actually haven't played Diablo IV, but maybe it adds something else to it. Although I have to admit some of those boss fights in the earlier Diablos were some of the best fighting fun I've ever had.

clos4life likes this.