1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Udoka/Stone changed the entire Rockets culture in 24 hours.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mdoggnic, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Nash

Nash Member

The changes Stone and IME have made are much better than being stuck in "middle mediocracy"..the reality is Houston is not a desirable destination right now, and and only a few FA players want to sign up for this phase of the development..Stone and IME convinced those few that this is a franchise on the way up, that the players will enjoy playing for the team.. Players generally will play hard for a coach who makes them better, and helps them to make more $$$.

IvanLCPM, Y2JT, Losmi_34 and 4 others like this.
  2. Ashes

Ashes Member

If there's one man that screams loyalty and integrity, it's Ime Udoka.

Zen Tabak, joshuaao, Scarface and 4 others like this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So the wives of Celtics staff would agree.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

To really change the culture, head honcho needs to go.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We weren't in middle mediocrity.
    We are aspiring to that.

We were in "cellar dweller catastrophe".
    Now the moves we made might see us get 30-40 wins, and if it does, our rookie contract guys might significantly increase in value.

We are still waiting on one of them to break out as a star OR for a chance to acquire a star elsewhere

Drift Monkey, seclusion and mdoggnic like this.
  7. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Culture matters.
    Give a big shout-out to Ime, all in a sudden three (FVV, Mills, Uncle Jeff) outta five vets we landed had championship experience; Fred, Dillon n Patty are pretty strong-minded, can be pretty v

@WestendMassive Besides, they've brought two aussies (Australia National Basketball Team) on same team, without any question chemistry already in place.

WestendMassive likes this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

I was looking for this comment; found it on page 4. :D

Jontro and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

We weren't winning anything with dame. We don't need him.

10. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Brooks jacking up 17 shots a game will make us miss the Head Honcho, and I was one of the KPJ at PG detractors.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can change the look of your entire house in 24 hours by lighting your curtains on fire....but it's not recommended.

joshuaao, Bo6, pr0wler and 1 other person like this.
  12. WestendMassive

We only had Mills for about an hour. :( I was looking forward to buying a Mills Rockets jersey too.

DeBeards likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And Alpha has to arrive.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

All in all, not a great day.

FVV - great signing; especially with only 2 yrs guaranteed

Dillon Brooks - 4 yrs $80 mil is a terrible contract for a wing who only brings defense. People can spin it however they want, but that’s way too much for a guy who’s own team thought getting rid of him was addition by subtraction.

Lack of a plan B for Lopez - if Landale is plan B for rim protection, that’s more than a step down. That’s like BASE jumping. I’m okay with the non-guaranteed contract, but i guess we aren’t gonna address interior D?

Trading Garuba, TyTy, and Christopher - im willing to acknowledge they didn’t have much value, but did we really have to attach good 2nd round picks to move off 1st round rookies and 2nd yr players?

Trading Kj - we probably could have gotten more for KJ at the deadline, but I’m willing to call the two 2nd rounders we did get a wash.

I’m fine bringing in Jeff Green as a player coach, but he’s obviously washed as a player.

I guess we have some cap room left, but it’s only as valuable as what u use it for. I guess we’ll see, but the track record isn’t great.

All in all, we didn’t solve our interior D problem. We gave out a long term deal at big money on a risky and limited player. Other than FVV we didn’t really bring in any shooters. We dumped 3 former first round picks, including a guy we drafted just last year. And we signed a couple underwhelming veterans to short term deals. Very disappointing.

15. cbass

cbass Member

I’m not a KPJ guy, but as it stands now, dude is literally the only above average shooter on the roster. Can’t dump him without replacing that skill set imo

16. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Is Brooks really that big of an upgrade over KJ? I’d rather keep KJ tbh.

Drift Monkey and pr0wler like this.
  17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Don't get the obsession with tyty. It's crazy how at any given time the fan base always has a cult favorite with no track record. Same happened with house, then nix

18. BootyHunter

BootyHunter Member

For rheir career Kj Martin is an even worse shooter and defender??? Outside of some cuts and “flashy dunks” what intangibles does Kj even have remotely close over Brooks??? Be real

19. BootyHunter

BootyHunter Member

Kj Martin is an even worse shooter and defender for their career??? Outside of some cuts and “flashy dunks” what intangibles does Kj even have remotely close over Brooks??? Be real

20. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Agreed, there will always be some sort of positive spin on things no matter how bad it seems. I never loved the whole "locker room guy" "veteran presence" "culture setter" those can often just be a euphamism for random veterans around the league who may or may not have been passed around a bunch of teams.

Bottom line is we have no stars or all-star level players in our lineup. If we win over 35 games, that would be surprising.