1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Ashes

Ashes Member

lol no shot we signed this dude for this money, no ****ing shot

2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yeah something in the neighborhood of 3 yrs / $45 million is what I was expecting

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's just no way anyone other than Brooks himself believes this.

I understand that the whole Jalen Green delusion has caused some to resort to throwing out points per game as if it's a relevant stat, but I have to believe that even the most casual of fan knows that scoring 18 points per game with a 51.5% TS is absolutely terrible....and scoring 14 a game on 49.4% TS is even more pathetic.

He's coming in as one of the the worst offensive players on the Rockets roster....but you can bet he'll get his 17 shots per game next season because that's what he demands so he can fool casuals into citing his points per game stat suggesting he's not terrible.

4. Joemambo

Joemambo Member

He was basically let go by the Grizzlies. Fans there should be very happy. 4 years of this guys. A totally untradeable contract right from the start.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would not even have liked Dillon for 5 million a year that is how much I see him as a cancerous player at times.

Mr. Dominant likes this.
  6. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

can someone tell me what the fk our GM is doing?

Mr. Dominant likes this.
  7. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Well huh.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's putting together a team full of guys that can't shoot at all so that they can attempt to break the offensive rebound record.

9. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

By looking at the highlights, he got very active hands on defense all the time, is always aware of where the ball is, he does seem have the tendency let the player easily pass him and then defends from behind.

Offense is hard to tell anything from highlights, but he is definitely not shy away from firing, sometimes feel not that smooth, but not at Ryan Bowen level

10. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

By looking at the highlights, he got very active hands on defense all the time, is always aware of where the ball is, he does seem have the tendency let the player easily pass him and then defends from behind.

Offense is hard to tell anything from highlights, but he is definitely not shy away from firing, sometimes feel not that smooth, but not at Ryan Bowen level

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Thanks to the last 2 years of the clown show that was Stephen Silas, the Rockets had turned into the laughingstock of the league. Do you think these guys would be coming here unless they were getting overpaid?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What happened to Harden though.....

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, that's kind of the defense he has to play, when you are only 6'6 with only a 6'6 wingspan and you aren't terribly athletic by NBA standards, the ONLY way you can play solid defense is by going the hyper aggressive high energy route.

Like a SF version of Pat Beverley or Tate.

14. BigTex

BigTex Member

His offensive stats last year were just amazingly terrible. And only slightly down from his previous season. He has been consistently bad. I don’t know how they kept allowing him to chuck so many shots.

Regular Season
    14.3 PPG
    13.4 FGA
    49.4% TS
    39/32/78 Splits

Playoffs
    10.5 PPG
    12.8 FGA
    39.3% TS
    31/24/71 Splits

OremLK likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He was actually offended they didn't let him chuck more.

16. Joemambo

Joemambo Member

F this team. All the waiting for this. Not fair to fans at all.

17. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

I'm not mad at this deal at all tbh. All salaries feel inflated. His defense is solid and clearly Ime wanted him. NEED him to buy into a role and not take too many shots or try to do unnecessary things. His antics can be a bit much, but I don't mind him protecting our players if something were to happen.

Also, Woj reported the contract is frontloaded, so he definitely will be easier to trade later on if Rockets choose that path.

There has to be more happening. No deals can be made official until July 6th, so I assume more stuff could be in the works. Josh Christopher traded to Memphis and Patty Mills will be rerouted according to Kelly Iko. Will open up more cap space, yet the rotation is being filled, so not sure who else the Rockets might be targeting. Also, Tate staying? KPJ staying and becoming backup SG? Time will tell...

18. htownballa1622

I'm not happy with the amount he got but I think there's a few points with this.

1. He was brought here to boost intensity with our wing guys. Obviously he may be overpaid but he brings it. Can change defensive culture. Ime likes that.

2. Overpaid. Yes he's overpaid right now but his contract declines yearly for 4 years. Meaning, this deal won't look terrible under new TV deal.

3. Trade piece? Let's say some vet team needs a wing guy but we needed comparable money to return that amount of assets(20 mill). His salary is big enough to net few players in return. (More money =more variance of player range to acquire.

4. Lastly, we needed to get to team salary floor. There's a salary floor and he gets us closer to it and fills a need.

Bottom line, is he longterm sf? No. Can he shape culture to where Tari, kpj, cam fight harder and become better players? Yes.

CXbby and seclusion like this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

I'm guessing not other teams, just his agent kept raising the price (money and # years) until Stone and Patrick finally said 'enough'.

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You think your understanding of the analytics is better than the rockets'?

beardsanity713 likes this.