1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Trades today to be combined into one large trade (possible $21m more in capspace)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jul 1, 2023.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

Yup, it's knowing a player's market value. Even if GM/Coach irrationally loves a player, you can still try to get that person on a fair market value.

If I really really like apple pie, say willing to pay $100 for a slice, I shouldn't have to if my local store sells it for $3.

As far as this thread's topic... gutting half of your recent draftees is easy. If a GM gives them away for free, or worse... pay other teams 1st/2nd picks and cash for them to take them. Even if they are raw prospects or role players, you're compensating other teams to take them off your hands. The fan base is supposed to give Stone credit for this?

If they make something out of the extra cap space. kudos. But the rebound is after they royally screwed up today.

#141 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    Deckard, slothy420, Shark44 and 4 others like this.
  2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Legit question. Would we be as frustrated with this signing if Memphis never played LA in the playoffs?

Xopher, DasouthDakota, VoR and 3 others like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Give them time. Check your life insurance. This isn't over. ;-)

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

FVV/Amen
    Jalen/KPJ/Whitmore
    Brooks/Tari/Whitmore
    Jabari/Green
    Sengun/Capela/Landale

If this is where we are at and we still have 20M in cap space, I think we have a lot of room for optimism.
    Not sure what the remaining piece will be (surely one is coming), but KMJ is the only guy gone I might miss.

Just looking at need, anyone else think we could use one more big with the 20M?

Will this rotation take us to the promised land?
    IDK, but I will enjoy watching this squad more than last years I think.

AceOfSpades and CHAMPBOY like this.
  5. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I really really don't like Brooks. He is my least favourite player in the league.

But I can kinda of put that aside to think this isn't THAT bad?

If its front loaded, then - along with FVV team option - this shouldn't be that bad in the last couple years when we need to pay the young guys.

Now.. about the value of moving the others. I can't defend that at all really.
    I get moving them because there may not be any room for them, but the return on value was incredibly low imo.

MarioKissoDeath and roslolian like this.
  6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Those guys are taking less money because they will be contending for a championship and they're playing next to one of the greatest players of all time. Not to mention they're going to be rich and famous in LA.

The rockets are contending for the playoffs and their best player is 21 years old. Y'all have no perspective, lol.

saleem likes this.
  7. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

upload_2023-7-1_21-41-23.gif

8. HealthyHamstring

We wouldn’t have cap room, Capela would take the entire $20m

VoR likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Our best player is 28 yr old FVV. He is a former all star. I'm ok with overpaying but it's another to gut half your roster for Dillon Brooks.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

How is the roster gutted? Teams don't have 10 men rotations with few exceptions. Fvv, Jalen, brooks, jabari, sengun, kpj, tari, amen, whitmore is 9 people right there.

BMoney and topfive like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The fan base ought to be questioning Stone's judgement, in my opinion. Stone seems to have lost all sense of perspective when it comes to the value of "apple pie." It's bizarre.

(and since you brought it up, I could sure use a slice of good apple pie!)

12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I like Tari at SF

MarioKissoDeath and Drift Monkey like this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not sure, Dillon had a PER of 9.4 for the Season (73 games)

Nix was 8.1 PER in 21/22 and 24 games as a Rocket

jch1911 likes this.
  14. jdjd

jdjd Member

This is Udoka putting his team together with HIS kind of players. There's no need to whine and cry

about how much money is being spent on anyone when in the end it's Tilman's money. We are

coming off of being one of the worst teams in the league and the people on here act as if we were

supposed to be picky about what veteran leadership we add. As was stated above, would we be

crying about the DB signing if they never played the Lakers and he got publicly embarrassed all over

BSPN? No. He's a better defender than anyone on our current team not named Tari. We are building

a team of MEN that can bang with other men in the league. Our team of twenty year old skinny stick

figures are over. How about we stop complaining and wait and see the end result? We have to win

more than last year, and right now I can see us fighting for a play in.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

We unloaded some still-unproven talent. Even though the guys we jettisoned got minutes on our bottom-feeder team, unless they improve, they'll never make the 8-man rotation on a title contender.

don grahamleone and daywalker02 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Remains to be seen if those are just a bunch of expiring mercenaries or not.

I like Jeff Green in general though and that was the one deal I probably can live with.

Stone lost Kenyon Martin, josh Christopher, Garuba, TyTy. Kept Tate.

jch1911 likes this.
  17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So when is this giant megadeal supposed to be unveiled??

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Amen and Whitmore are as unproven as they come ....

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Half of the roster of a 20 win team…

TexasRedd likes this.
  20. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I mean who were the Rockets negotiating against? Was there competition for Brooks that commanded $20 million per year? And yes I understand overpaying to get people to sign here, but were other teams knocking down the door to sign Brooks? I just don’t think he had a lot of options.