1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I the only one excited about this squad?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

all I know is the Rockets better be a legitimate play-in team and playoff contender…I can’t accept anything less next season

peleincubus likes this.
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don’t care much about the players we lost but I also don’t care for the players we brought in. I really, really hate Brooks. He is the ish version of Donkey.

3. carlos

carlos Member

I think things have improved. Face it Houston was not high on any free agent list and the recent changes can potentially change the culture and make us more attractive to free agents. Furthermore rookies tend to do better when there are vets that can set them up and give them a chance to win. I suspect we will at worst double our win this season.

4. carlos

carlos Member

I think things have improved. Face it Houston was not high on any free agent list and the recent changes can potentially change the culture and make us more attractive to free agents. Furthermore rookies tend to do better when there are vets that can set them up and give them a chance to win. I suspect we will at worst double our win this season.

5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

BIG RUMOR!!!!
    I’m hearing Rockets we’re trying to trade for Myles Turner and Indiana wanted KPJ? But if the sign and trade go thru with Memphis, we will have over 23 million and we could then trade KPJ for Myles Turner…I would be happy then

anthony59237 and MultipleSauces like this.
  6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

The Houston Rockets and Dillon Brooks have agreed to a four-year, $80 million contract, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Wojnarowski added the deal will ultimately be a sign-and-trade with the Memphis Grizzlies, who will "generate a substantial trade exception."

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

40 win team at best and we have no more cap space… Jalen Green or Alpi have to turn into a superstar for this team to get any better.

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

We are slightly better than historically bad after tanking for 3 straight years, none of our picks look like they have the potential to be a first option on a championship team, and our biggest move was giving $80M to a player who wouldn't be retained by their own team under any circumstances.

Feeling pretty neutral about it personally. Would be pissed if Morey did it, but it's tilman. This is just how it is now. Hopefully we luck into some real talent late in the draft, because we definitely aren't going to smart our way to a title any time soon.

Just enjoy the mediocrity, and set your expectations. The team is being run like his watered down restaurant empire, and unless he writes another book called "when I shut up and listen," its not going to change.

kspires999 likes this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Could have harden to at least will us into playoffs.

Instead we overpaid for fvv (the 3rd year team option reduce the sting)
    Massively overpaid for dillin brooks who his own playoff team didn't want for a tune of 20 mil/year
    And lockdale a man no one knows to b back up center.

Got rid of all the first round picks who were never even given a chance.

With all this we might not even make the playoffs.

Folks btch about signing harden will cause many trades, but all we did was spread the money to meh players and still traded a decent amount of youngster on the team.

Ime better b a miracle worker.

MadMax94$ likes this.
  10. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

I'm excited. Besides, how much worse can we be???

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

No Harden... CHEERS TO THAT!!!

[​IMG]

Believe It! and jim1961 like this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Recently-acquired point guard Patty Mills is not staying in Houston and will be rerouted, sources tell @TheAthletic. He is being looped into the Dillon Brooks sign-and-trade in an expanded deal, sources say.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

I’ll bet our accounts on that

14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

This is exactly it.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which ones?

16. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I couldn't have said it better. Although if I get motivated, I will write my version of the "Rockets are still 2 years away from being 2 years away." Jalen Green is looking like a Zach LaVine clone (took 6-7 years to play winning basketball) and Jabari Smith Jr. is at risk of being one of the biggest busts ever if he cannot find his outside stroke. The Rockets signed a guy (Dillon Brooks) who's VORP was like 500th in the league - right in between Jabari Smith Jr. and Daishen Nix. The one player who looks like they might be something, Sengun,(although not a Franchise player) they seem dead set on running away by recruiting over him every year.

A championship team and franchise players are like easy to recognize when you see them and look at the teams who have won over 80% of the last 50 championships... I don't see anyone on the Rockets who will make us contenders in the next 2-4 years. Think of the all time greats - they didn't need 5-7 years to be great. Jordan, Lebron, Kareem, Luka, KD, Magic, Bird, David Robinson, Hakeem, Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, and yes Jokic - they all popped in their 2nd year. Jordan was an all-NBA player as a rookie (7 VORP). Even the next group like Harden, Westbrook, Chris Paul, Garnett, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Curry, Embiid, etc, they were all GOOD players (if not all-NBA) by 21 or 22.

Just say that I am more than a little disappointed with the pivot to "winning" as I think it was premature. You cannot build a team through free agency like the Rockets attempted. I think they cost themselves 3-5 wins a year over the next couple of years through incompetence and an unwillingness to be flexible about their targets. I expect the Rockets to be a 35 win team and miss the play-in. The West is brutal.

jim1961 likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

This is the only one I have, vs the one you are posting on now

18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Youre not alone...the crybabies are the loudest, we are the silent majority

Rustyrig likes this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Crazy day! I went to run some errands with my wife and came back to this madness. Looks like all hell broke out! :D

Most of us complain when we don't do something, but damn Stoner went full Monty on Day 2. I think these moves definitely had Ime's encouragement/endorsement, so I have to give them a little extra consideration.

- FVV was a solid signing and makes so much sense to help this young team develop. We needed a floor leader bad and Fred comes with championship pedigree and a blue collar work ethic. Yes, I think we overpaid a bit, but gents/ladies we're a sorry ass team trying to crawl out of the depths of losing hell and he wasn't coming at a discount. Liked this move and may love it in the end. :) :D

- Brooks wasn't someone I wanted and at $80M guaranteed I think that contract has a lot of risk attached to it. However, he's ours now and I pray that Ime and his staff are able to harness his talent and focus his game to make that investment worth every penny. Not sure of the benefits of the sign-in-trade, but hopefully we get something besides just jettisoning Jalen's "friend". Didn't like this move, but will remain hopeful. :eek:

- KMJ trade was going to happen and two 2nd rounders is fine for an expiring. His high flying dunks and humiliating blocks were fun, but he has too many other holes in his game to get enough PT to satisfy his dad going forward. Liked this move. :)

- TyTy and Garuba trade doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Not sure WTF this was about, unless Ime said these aren't my kind of guys get rid of them. If so, I wished we could have gotten something decent and not had to attach picks as well. Hate this move. :mad:

Patty Mills: At this point, I'm unsure if he's a Rocket or a Grizzly, but if he's with us I like his spunk and shooting. :cool:

Jock Landale looks like an under the radar signing. He's got some skills and is a hustler. At 6'11", 256 lbs and 27 years old, he feels like a guy that can further develop with some stability. He's not a real rim protector, but we still have Bari who should be able to help more in his Soph season. I'm ok with this move. :)

The return of Jeff Green brings a current NBA Champion to the roster and a rock solid professional. He should especially help with the development of Jabari, Tari and Cam. I like this move. :)

I hope this isn't a finished team yet, but if it is we'll certainly be better. How much better is the question.

Having a legit PG should help with our core young guys. Also having a real coach and staff should help tremendously. I'm worried we may have a rough start, but if everyone buys in and actually plays to their abilities I could see a 37-42 win season, which would be a great improvement over the last 3 years.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, nah. I don't go on blind faith one way or the other. It would be a sucker's bet for either of us. You might be fine with that, I'm not.

There's avenues to the Rockets over performing next season and being something like a 30 win team. There's also plenty of avenues where they are a 20 win team. That's just too much uncertainty for anyone but the most degenerate of gamblers to bet on. Do the young players that were so terrible last season turn into quality players? Is Dillon Brooks allowed to go full Jalen Green chucking the ball? Are they really going to base roles and playing time on merit rather than the typical BS?

The odds are, the Rockets will be one of the worst teams in the league, but it's not a certainty.

It's like betting the over on the Texans next season at 8.5, it could certainly happen, but there's WAY too much uncertainty for any kind of intelligent bet.