1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I the only one excited about this squad?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 1, 2023.

1. s3ts

s3ts Member

Lets be real about our past picks. If they turn into real all-star talents in the next two years, are we going to be able to give them max contracts?

If we keep getting vets and overpaying them, will we be developing all of your drafted talents?

You’re completely right that none of these players are on a long-term deal, and they also can be moved to create more cap space. But all of these things come at a price, which is future development of the roster on the cheap, by trading away picks or young players.

The other unfortunate problem is the fact that Tillman has shown his cheapness when the luxury tax kicks in.

peleincubus likes this.
  2. 34to11

34to11 Member

Nope.

Hemingway likes this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Delete.

4. s3ts

s3ts Member

Wut?

5. Coach E

Coach E Member

I’m pumped, I wish we would of been able to add Pat, but I’ll take this FA Class.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I still don't get it though. Not a single player signed will impact the ability to sign a drafted player by the rockets. they are all 2 years or less besides brooks. So..... again besides Brooks when Sengun/Green are up for extensions there will not be at this moment another contract on the rockets besides other rookie deals and Brooks. So yeah they will be able to sign if they want. If they are worth the max or not is different thing altogether.

7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

For me, it's that we did it with Silas. Those guys never had much of a chance to develop because they had to play under maybe the worst coach of all time. I'd like to have seen them get at least a year under the new guy before going scorched earth. I don't mind some veterans. FVV is going to be a great addition.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Daniel Theiss level acquisition in Landale

Mills and Green as 3rd stringers

Cleared Martin, JC, Washington and Garuba off the team for FREE

FVV and Brooks for only 65 million

How can yall not be hype right now?

9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Look I want to be contenders again too but I wanted it to happen on the backs of our youth. I don’t want the youth phased out and we’re watching FVF and Brooks running the show.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  10. invocux

invocux Member

I'm too these ppl are tripping. We defensively got A LOT better and one of Jabari-Sengun-JG might take a leap offensively this season. We are lot balanced team rn.

Rustyrig likes this.
  11. s3ts

s3ts Member

Well, the players can also force their way out at that point, thats the scary thing. You basically never want any player on a non-rookie contract pouting and complaining.

Honestly, that’s not as bad as the prospect of having to package picks to trade away players, or fudging up star talent development, even canceling their careers because we prioritize minutes played for high salary players just to even keep the other teams interested in trades.

Big contracts need to be on the court to keep trade windows open, and those are all games that will prevent minutes for good kids straight out of a draft.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Just a way to delete a post i started on, but got messed up on.

s3ts likes this.
  13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I agree with others in that the Rockets actually look like a real NBA team and not some AAU team. I am not crazy about Dillon Brooks but he is an above average defender and with FVV plus Patty, Uncle Jeff, and Jock brings some veteran leadership. We were always going to have to overpay to get these guys to come here. Thanks to the clownshow that was Stephen Silas, we’re 2 years behind where we should be, but hopefully we’ll see an improvement to 35 to 40 wins and possibly a play-in berth. This also allows for our young guys to show improvement, especially Jalen Green and Alperen Sengun. It also gives Amen and Cam plenty of time to adjust to the NBA and takes the pressure off of them in trying to Br difference makers in their first season.

I think Udoka by himself will be worth 10 wins and he will make it to where Houston will be a place where players will want to come and not be a joke like it was under Silas.

Now if they can trade KPJ for something useful, it will be as good of an offseason that I could have hoped for.

14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

What is there to be excited about exactly? Other than Sengun? This has been the worst shooting team in the league and all we have done is add 3 extreme brick layers in Amen, Fred and Brooks. In 3-4 years if Thompson, Sengun, Green and Smith develop the team will be fun. But the next few years will continue to be garbage. Especially with Brooks. I don't think people watched enough of him on here. The guy is awful. Stone and Ime have had a terrible FA so far.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I hope Sengun grew at least 1 inch. Give 1 inch... that's all I'm asking for.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

yet 34 wins made it the year before

peleincubus likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think the top to bottom was a larger spread this year because of the desire for victor. I bet this next season the wins required for the play in will probably be lower and more parity from the teams in the middle.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

the young players will have plenty of opportunity to shine and show out, and they had better do so…this is the season I’m really gonna start to judge Jalen Green, he got a pass from me the 1st 2 years

Rustyrig likes this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

edit - double post

#99 larsv8, Jul 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
  20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

33 win team.

Will be uncomfortable after trade deadline with a not insignificant portion of fan base will want to tank.

All in all, will be a dead year with no playoffs and no material draft compensation.

I have long pegged this as the worst year to be a fan.