1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's exactly his game, he doubles up on the aggression and energy to make up for mediocre height wingspan and athleticism.

Basically a slightly taller Tate that's even worse on offense with an even more absurd ego

s3ts likes this.
  2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

This one's the biggest head scratcher for me. Who the hell was going to offer him close to this?

Deckard and Jontro like this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

If we were able to give Brooks 4/80, we really couldn't instead give Reaves like, 4/65? 4/70? Smh.

Jontro likes this.
  4. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

Dillon is a hard-nosed defense guy that will be crucial and hope his shot is limited, based on what Ime said that we should improve on our shot selection. On the court he should be vital and increase the efforts from our young guys (I'm not looking at the contract which is still meh at the moment)

What I'm concerned is his off court antics that could affect the young guys. Like needlessly running out his mouth trash talking that can make us one of the most hated team in the league. This what makes Memphis get rid of him, as he cant be a good leader there. I just hope the vets FVV, Patty Mills, and uncle Jeff can keep him in line in this off court issues regard.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

What is happening is a bunch of whiny fans that don’t have a clue about re-building are going bonkers over a lot of short term contracts that make us better immediately but do nothing to hurt our flexibility 2 years down the road. Brooks might be a questionable contract, but the rest of the moves are perfectly logical. Not to mention that 20m is peanuts in the new NBA. He had a bad playoff and shot off his mouth and now no one seems to remember that he was 2nd team all defense with a career 3pt% of 34.8. Oh, and by the way. We might not be done yet. We also haven’t given up sh*t to make this happen except “cheap” Tito’s money.

raining threes likes this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he has a bad habit of letting his man beat him and then swiping at the ball from behind. and his shooting form is butt ugly, unfluid shot put release with horrible touch

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Hate this contract. Dillon Brooks is not the only good defensive player in the nba. There has to be better ways to spend $80 mil; not to mention the risk of tethering ourselves to this guy for 4 yrs. Such a desperate move.

s3ts likes this.
  8. mightybosstone

After the FVV third-year team option news, I'm holding out hope that there's something coming on this contract to make me hate it less. At the very least, at least the Rockets will have an elite perimeter defender on the wing now. And he's the kind of guy who could start or come off the bench over time, so if he gets outplayed by Tari, Cam, etc. down the line, he could still be effective in 25 minutes off the bench.

It's just... a lot of money for a guy with kind of a **** reputation. I hope he proves us all wrong and earns that contract.

s3ts and raining threes like this.
  9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Why do y’all keep quoting average joes and their feelings on this? Who cares.

Their young core so badly needs hard working veteran players and that is what they got.

Brooks is interesting in that I’m having issues seeing both Green and KPJ starting now.

Interesting.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I honestly have warmed up on the idea of Brooks coming in as an undervalued asset and rehabilitating his image. But I seriously need to know who tf was willing to spend anywhere near this much on him.

xaos likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It would take 25m to even get the Lakers to blink about not matching, which is the max we could offer. You are comparing apples to oranges.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I would prefer Bruce Bowen or Bill Laimbeer. Hell, if we had to spend, why not Conrad Dobler?

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

FWIW On the Paul George podcast Jaren Jackson Jr. talked about how Dillon Brooks was the glue guy who always got the team together for dinner and stuff like that. People like to act like somehow competitive or call it being a pest means that you aren't a guy who can keep the team tight knit and cohesive.

IvanLCPM, DVauthrin, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  14. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Why not just sign Pat Bev ... What's the point of this? He was firing away shots with no concern with JA, JJ and Bane on the court with him. Who's going to stop him from pretending he's Kobe on the Rockets?

s3ts likes this.
  15. AXG

AXG Member

This is a cherry on top of awful signings. The Grizzlies didn't want him back and he does nothing well.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

What’s the point of offering Reaves something we know Lakers will match and then have that amount locked out for 24 hours?

xaos likes this.
  17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

As for Brooks… **** us :(

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Poor man's Ron Artest?

xaos likes this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member