1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Udoka/Stone changed the entire Rockets culture in 24 hours.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mdoggnic, Jul 1, 2023.

1. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Udoka/Stone basically said that they want to be competitive and want to remake the locker room culture but they also said that realistically they arent going to be able to make a deep run in the playoffs for another 2 years. They signed FVV to run the offense the next 2 years(3rd year is a team option and that is huge) and to show the youngsters how to be a professional. Patty Mills also helps with same. I expect Amen Thompson to benefit a ton by having FVV and Mills to learn from. Other than maybe KJ Martin the outgoing youngsters were not going to get much playing time. 4 years guaranteed for Brooks was a little bit of a head scratcher but all the extra stuff he brings to the table aside there is no argument from me that you need perimeter defenders that can switch and not get taken advantage of he checks that box. Jock Landale hopefully brings about 10-15 minutes a night of hustle and defense and he is only guaranteed 1 year so if he doesnt put up hes gone next year. This move also signifies that the Rockets are expecting Sengun to play around 30-35 minutes a night imo. It sucks they didnt get Brook Lopez but the 3rd year team option for FVV tells me the Rockets drew a line in the sand and said these next 2 years are ALL about developing the youngster and changing the culture and that the Rockets want to have flexibility beyond the 2 years for rookie extensions and to be able to be players again in Free Agency in 2025. Im guessing Lopez wanted a 3rd year from the Rockets to get him to leave from a great situation that he had in Milwaukee and the Rockets rightfully couldnt do it.

Im interested to see what the Rockets do with KPJ going forward. I do not want him to have the keys to the offense ever again but if hes willing to accept being instant offense off the bench and can provide hustle/effort on d i think he can still be a big help.

Overall I think it was a great offseason.

Stephen_A, BigShasta, Amel and 29 others like this.
  2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Udoka did.. Stone got Stoned once he had to give away his precious former 1st rd picks..

3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Seconded. We’re not done though. Through the flurry of moves, we somehow have $23.5 million available. I expect us to land a big name via trade before midnight

4. mdoggnic

I can agree with that. Stone traded a couple of those guys for pennies on the dollar but I also dont think that any of the guys that went out today were going to play much. Theres something to be said about supporting the head coach though and recognizing that they werent going to help much going forward.

Y2JT, pr0wler and javal_lon like this.
  5. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Agree. I would have preferred Brooks for 2-3 years but all the other moves are made to guarantee these veterans playing time. No veterans were going to come in to sit in bench, hence getting rid of late first rounders to create playing time. Can judge stone in 2 years to see if all the free talent he gave away was really worth it.

burlesk, ramotadab, pr0wler and 4 others like this.
  6. Bids9

Bids9 Member

Apparently culture is bogus :rolleyes:

Totally agree though. Love the moves so far

7. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Most of the fans wanted Udoka here, now that Udoka is doing his job everyone seems to be losing their minds. Classic fan bipolarity.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Blahblahblah.

If they win high 30s games they can claim they changed the culture.

Anything worse than that they didn't.

Culture is an effect of record. Not a cause of it. Trust me i did the math on this one

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

My only thing with the culture change is, Brooks was supposed to not be a good culture guy. So, we will see.

B-Bob, mdoggnic and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. kpdark

kpdark Member

dust hasn't settled yet ;)

but looking good so far

11. mdoggnic

First day of training camp is going to be completely different this year. Thats culture. I’ll concede a little tho…if the Rockets continue to lose and if the accountability waivers at all the culture changes wont matter as much.

raining threes and SamFisher like this.
  12. mdoggnic

Yeah im interested to see how that pans out. I dont think theres ever been question that he has heart and has some of that “dog” in him that everyones looking for. Some big red flags on the fact that Memphis basically said “dont let the door hit you on the way out” though. I hope the Rockets have some intel that say hes good for them or that 4 year deal could really backfire.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Honestly everyone says the right things in training camp.

Actually the Rockets looked like badasses in preseason last year. I'm already getting PTSD from last October. I need Xanax.

burlesk, DaDakota, luckyman76 and 2 others like this.
  14. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

He changed anything that was not nailed down. Back in the old country we called this a purge and dreamed of brighter days.

15. Holybats

Holybats Member

I believe Ime.He would generate a good team structure with proper defense.

raining threes and mdoggnic like this.
  16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I agree that they needed a culture change. I don't agree that shipping the kids out was the way to do it. Hell, KPJ is still on this team. The answer to culture comes from the top. The kids never had the benefit of that. We'll see how it looks a few years from now.

leebigez and mdoggnic like this.
  17. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

If you told everyone that bringing in Udoka would mean signing Dilllon Brooks to a 4 year 80 million dollar contract after his departure from Memphis, the fanbase wouldn't have been as enthusiastic.

18. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Last year it was rookies/ Silas led pre season and this year will be IME/veterans led pre season. It should definitely be more predictive of how season would go. You can put away Xanax until December.

19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

No culture has been changed. Most overused saying is "culture" in sport. If you are winning you have a good culture, if you are losing you have a bad culture.............the real thing is that you can have a good culture when you are losing.

20. xaos

xaos Member

Only 1 FRP mattered (Tyty) and if you count KMJ (FRP production) who barely made the cut as a 52nd pick then yes, he missed out on getting a good future return for him

BigShasta likes this.