1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] Secret Invasion (Samuel L Jackson)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

2nd episode pretty solid and dark. Some thoughts...
    Wow Maria in a casket with an official death really ups the ante. Killing off a known mcu character on tv when she did nothing post blip doesn't make any sense so we'll see.

Kaleesi spying on the computer... Groot DNA? Super Skrull so F4.

It would make sense about casting beloved Emilia Clarke if...

Andre0087 likes this.
  2. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Got a question about the Skrulls...do they need to see/interact with a human before taking their form, or can they just morph into a random human?

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

The race thing in the previous episode and now this episode fury comparing talos to a dog and having to clean his poop while talos spits facts about fury leveling up due to them and trying to rewrite that history and fury asks if he's got more abuse to hurl at him to end the conversation. How Is that of the character Nick Fury and not some weakling woke pos writing him/herself into the character where he/she can insult but takes real factual criticism as abuse?
    Disney is utter trash now. It's the same **** showing up in everything they do.

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Waited until this week to start watching this, I've enjoyed the change of pace from the other D+ shows. Cast is solid across the board, really like Olivia Coleman's character.

I've enjoyed it and I think 6 episodes is the right length but man you really need some knowledge about the mythology set up before otherwise you'll end up pretty lost....

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don’t know Jack about marvel universe, what should i watch before watching this series to have a better understanding of what’s going on?

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I completely forgot about this, and now that I’ve remembered, I just don’t have the motivation to watch

7. Invisible Fan

It's Captain Marvel heavy as they introduced skrulls in that one, but you don't need much else that they don't explain.

6th episode isnt out yet, but however they wrap it up will generate a response...

Kevooooo likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Invisible Fan

Ep 6
    they did colbie smoulders dirty with a contract swap of khalesi.

I don't know how she won against a Skrull trained in killing since adolescence, but you go girl. Origin story for her to crash into F4?

All those DNA Easter Eggs seem like wasted potential.

I'm not sure how this adds to Fury's greatness. Maybe it's the quality of the writing but his Batman strategist vibes have gone downhill ever since that alien cat took an eye out....

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Didn't watch it but from the talk it sounds like it was another writing disaster. They aren't even trying to maintain any kind of consistency anymore.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

nick fast and fury ded?

tinman likes this.
  12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I didn't mind the series overall but the finale was rushed on multiple levels plus they add an incredibly overpowered character to the universe, essentially DCAU's Amazo, as a whole which didn't make a ton of sense. Oh well, I really enjoyed Oliva Coleman and Sam Jackson is always solid....

Andre0087 and Invisible Fan like this.
  13. clos4life

clos4life Member

I couldn't agree more, the new character would be a massive cheat code in any video game.

14. Invisible Fan

Yeah power creep is real. I hope lazy writing doesn't lobotomize or weaken the character.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

MCU ded

Jontro likes this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Long live the Toyota Cinematic Universe!

Jontro and robbie380 like this.
  18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Not talking about the poster below but I wonder what percentage of MCU viewers actually hate them but still watch some of their stuff. I see similar comments everywhere ppl talk about Marvel.

Overall, I enjoyed it but it could have been better. I think they were afraid to lean all the way into the genre. It would have been better if they grounded it even more and focused on Fury as a spy/leader.

I think they got too wrapped up into world building where they should just focus on the characters.

Maria Hill was an expendable character because she's not really connected to any story lines. But, they needed to kill off a main character to follow the spy thriller genre. It wasn't gonna be Fury or Rhodey. It probably would have been better if she was killed later in the season though.

I think the assumption was that Giah was smarter. During the fight she used smarter powers instead of just the strongest options the whole time.

Agreed. The whole Harvest thing is crazy. They have to kill off Giah or nerf her in the next appearance. You can't have her just floating around as the most powerful being.

Agreed. They continued to make Fury weak like in Captain Marvel and I don't get it. They even undermined his whole career by saying the Skrulls did everything. So basically he was just some guy that stumbled upon a super being and some aliens they did his job for him. I get Fury took a smaller role in later team up movies primarily as a plot device to let Cap and Stark lead but honestly the mcu needs a strong Fury more than ever.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Highly disappointed in the finale

20. Invisible Fan

I can explain more into what I'm thinking. I'm mostly whatever to D+ disappointments because they're spending top dollar on it and the hooks make most of the ride interesting. I'd probably hate it if they went netflix and tried to stretch 2-4 more episodes on the same budget...

Emilia Clarke had no business wrecking a war criminal that was trained as a child soldier. Maybe they could've done a better job building up her fighting skills, or maybe we should be xenophobic into thinking all skrulls inherently knew how to fight?

Her CGI arm made me think she had Deadpool's baby arm....

Maria was a budget Black Widow, Fury's protege and right hand woman. Oh right, they did the real black widow dirty cinematically and contractually, so this did turn out to be appropriate. Her one episode death without flashbacks or any lasting significance was a waste, imo. Doesn't even set this up for a rewatch that would please the streaming suits. It saved Disney from a re-up, but hey they got a contract friendly Emilia Clarke as a replacement...A Durrel Murry upgrade!

Secret invasion in the comics dealt with the Illuminati, kinda like that Dr strange council in Multiverse of Madness. Some of them were Skrull spies that slowly killed super heroes or sent hulk to space. It was interesting enough for me to remember, even if their ending fizzled. This... uhh when X-Men??? Quit teasing us with dumb Easter eggs.

Easter Eggs of famous characters were cute when different studios owned the licences. Now I'm wondering why many of this phase's projects didnt die a quiet death during the 2 year covid snap. Not only are there delays, but since everything is planned or "connected" through wires into every orifice Kevin Feige has to spare, those delays push back the good stuff people would probably still pay to watch on a big screen. 2030 xmen? I'll be watching bootleged ai deepfakes of the original cartoon in semi-live action a few years before that.

So maybe it's not vocal disappointment to material i grew up with and kept following. More like capitulation of the current sad state. Again, the aspects that made it cool have tangled it all together and is snowballing into a convoluted mess with every new character. Ironically both DC and Marvel cooked up mutliverse events to collapse the unzoned Houston sprawl they built over time, but here, it's more or less a gimmick with potential cash grab reboots.

#80 Invisible Fan, Jul 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2023