1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Legend: Van Gundy fired from ESPN after 16 years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RasaqBoi, Jun 30, 2023.

1. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Unless there is some scandal that has not been revealed yet, this is all part of the ESPN budget cuts that have been previously announced.

He simply made too much money. They also fired Keshawn and Max Kellerman, although it appears Jay Williams is staying. I wonder if he will replace JVG?

I could definitely see JVG on TNT. He cannot be worse than Hubie Brown; he is like 100 years old.

Also, isn't his brother (SVG) on ESPN?

madbomber and don grahamleone like this.
  2. DreamR

DreamR Member

Seems like they're slowly trying to get rid of all the men. Little by little.

That's why all you hear these days from these sports channels is player drama instead of stats analysis and well thought out opinions.

giddyup, madbomber, cmoak1982 and 4 others like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's not bias to certain teams. It's all about LA and the Warriors

BamBam likes this.
  5. Salvy

Salvy Member

Or the assistant to the assistant coach...

[​IMG]

6. TimDuncanDonaut

Whenever I hear reporters / pundits talking about NBA's next TV deal. There's is this assumption that the next deal will just magically have this super jump of money available. But evidence is to the contrary.

• 1. Bally sports being insolvent; difficulty to pay their broadcasters/staff, because NBA licensing fee is too high.
    • 2. Same with At&T southwest SportsNet last year. People even proposing the local NBA teams buying them; because they're not profitable.
    • 3. ESPN with this current round of layoffs to save money.

a) Part of is just TV (traditional TV ratings). Even if sports does well than scripted shows, Ratings is not jumping through the roof. Doesn't mean NBA is getting less popular, just that the traditional TV ad dollar might not be there. So when Adam Silver ask for that new hike of mafia rate... is it warranted?

b) Audience cutting the cord. NBA taps into streaming, or have deals with Google (YouTubeTV, under 2 billion, i believe). While NBA gets a cut, that doesn't really help Disney's ABC/ESPN and Warner_Discovery's TNT.

The last thing I'll say. Bob Iger being friendly with Silver (and rumors of indirectly promising Silver the next Disney CEO job)... it's also to play nice with Adam, to maybe ABC/ESPN to get a good price before they lock in the next long term deal.

For the record, NBA's total revenue may continue to grow, including some 'sus' leaning into Gambling sponsorships, but the pie of it from traditional TV paying that exorbitant license fee is not.

#46 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
  7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Garage Sale today.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

9. ExTexanNowEastCoast

I think its funny that ESPN is looking to cut cost by eliminating on air talent. Per the Street, they are looking to cut over $7B in costs, much of it at ESPN/Disney Sports.

Well, considering that Disney/ESPN has forked over close to $12B in TV rights deals for college football that gets little audience, I think that is where they should be looking to cut.

They already have the rights to the CFP that gets terrible ratings. Then they forked over $4B to the BIG; SEC still out there expecting the same or more. Even the Big 12 got about $3B. Its ridiculous expenditure that is unsupported by ratings. That is where their issues lie.

Little Bit likes this.
  10. ExTexanNowEastCoast

I think its funny that ESPN is looking to cut cost by eliminating on air talent. Per the Street, they are looking to cut over $7B in costs, much of it at ESPN/Disney Sports.

Well, considering that Disney/ESPN has forked over close to $12B in TV rights deals for college football that gets little audience, I think that is where they should be looking to cut.

They already have the rights to the CFP that gets terrible ratings. Then they forked over $4B to the BIG; SEC still out there expecting the same or more. Even the Big 12 got about $3B. Its ridiculous expenditure that is unsupported by ratings. That is where their issues lie.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Rockets should get rid of their boring announcers and bring in Van gundy

12. s3ts

s3ts Member

This is a great listen, thanks for posting.

I align exactly with his thinking on the Rockets but I still think rockets fans don’t appreciate Harden as much as he says they do.

I agree with the other posts that hopefully he lands something for the Rockets organization. If not, what a missed opportunity. I don’t trust the front office to make that classy move at the moment.

13. MultipleSauces

Jvg should do his own podcast . Id listen

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

THIS!

15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I loved during the NBA Draft, the host was femalesplaining to JJ Redick about a one dribble jumper.

Was honestly gold.

Caesar, DreamR and persian hoopa like this.
  16. persian hoopa

persian hoopa Contributing Member

You’re an idiot. B1G and SEC football kill the NBA in ratings.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

JVG is Houston ! He backs all our teams and just a fan of HTOWN period ! Bring him home ! Be an Assistant coach , assistant director , assistant commentator ,head commentator , assistant mayor , wait …JVG for mayor of Houston !

18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Suzy Kolber got the axe too

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Longtime Poster: RasaqBoi fired from ClutchFan's after 16 years

BHannes2BHonest and robbie380 like this.
  20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

don grahamleone likes this.