1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocket FA meetings (hopeful about FVV)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jun 30, 2023.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

LOL @ hopeful, but at least confirmed Brook, Brooks & Brown (sounds like a law firm).

Believe It! likes this.
  2. Salvy

Salvy Member

A bunch of dumbs don't want FVV, Rockets should be hopeful FVV gives them a shot. Landing him would be the best move so far to get this team jumpstarted.

evo8lover likes this.
  3. MystikArkitect

At this point I wonder if I'd prefer Kyrie to Dillon Brooks. Similar headaches except one actually has talent. Still think I'd rather overpay FVV and Lopez and run KJM, Whitmore and Tari at SF.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

How FVV not gonna at least meet with the Brinks truck? No way. I bet we have a meeting.

jch1911 likes this.
  5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think it is almost a no brainer for FVV. Only reason he rejects our offer is, if he really wants to stay in Toronto. I mean the Raptors are a team going nowhere right now and will have salary cap issues pretty soon. He will most certainly get about 10 million more per year here than there - and he can get a max 4 year contract (or something close to that) when he is 31. If we offer the contract, that has been reported, I don't see how he says now.

For Brook Lopez thats different. He is playing for a contender and I think he feels really comfortable there seeing he is some of the best basketball of his career there. We are probably offering more than the Bucks, but not 10 million per year more. And his career will probably be over (or at least almost) after those two year in which he probably has no shot at another title here.

Dillon Brook is probably excited just to get a good contract, he should be easiest to sign.

6. JW86

JW86 Member

The insider who actually showed up Woj has tweeted it’s a done deal, we have FVV :)

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

• Ahead of the beginning of free agency, Houston’s brass traveled to Los Angeles to set up camp and prepare for a number of meetings that will take place over the next few days. At the outset, they will meet with with wing Dillon Brooks and center Brook Lopez, league sources say. They also hope to meet with Van Vleet and his representatives. In addition, the Rockets are expecting to meet with Kyrie Irving, those sources add, and also have strong interest in Bruce Brown who is said to have a good relationship with Udoka. In Brown’s case, Houston would be prepared to go over the mid-level exception to land his services, according to sources briefed on the matter. Other big man targets include Dwight Powell and Jakob Poeltl. Jordan Clarkson, who reportedly picked up his option for next season, is also of interest. A meeting with forward Kyle Kuzma has also been mentioned as a possibility.

• Because of their spending power in the market, the Rockets are confident in landing the targets they desire. Having considerably more cap space than rival teams gives them an inherent advantage when it comes to pursuing hot commodities, although there is the reality that some players will opt for contending environments or familiarity. However, the Rockets will prioritize shorter term contracts and are willing to offer more money up front for players they are strongly interested in, league sources say. Non-negotiable areas of need that have been identified are shooting and defense/rim protection.

• Finding an established point guard and shoring up playmaking deficiencies has long been Houston’s most important task but there is an important caveat. Similar to the Rockets’ draft prep where they discussed potential scenarios in which certain players would be off the board, such is the same in free agency. There have been some discussions where top point guards opt for places outside of Houston. In that scenario, league sources say, one idea presented was to aggressively pursue a player like Brown — a wing defender with secondary ball handling ability — and afford more on-ball reps to Thompson and Green to aid their development.

• Trade talks surrounding fourth-year forward Kenyon Martin Jr. have increased in number in recent days with the expectation that a trade this offseason is increasingly likely, league sources say. To be clear, Martin has not requested a trade since this time last season, but with Houston still seeking avenues to improve their financial flexibility heading into July, Martin’s combination of age, upside and salary makes him an attractive candidate on the market.

• Stone has spent a considerable amount of time with Udoka over these last few weeks, getting a clearer understanding for his wants and needs. In conversations, Udoka’s preferred style of play has had an influence on the types of players the Rockets are looking for. One area that was also stressed was those that can help improve the young players’ quality of life on and off the court.

• At the conclusion of last season, it was communicated to the players in exit meetings that nothing was guaranteed moving forward such as playing time or rotational status. This is a team that has won just 42 games in a two year span. With change on the horizon, there would need to be a mental shift as well. Earlier this week, Udoka expressed a similar sentiment. Entitlement won’t fly in phase two.

groovemachine and red5rocket like this.
  8. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Post it! Or at least tell us where to see it

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Contingency planning (assuming top targets are off the table)
    Point guard: Jordan Clarkson
    Rationale: The Jazz are one of the teams that have been eyeing Martin for a while with Jazz executive Danny Ainge said to have been a fan of the 22-year-old’s upside. TyTy Washington Jr.’s value is probably diminished some as he barely saw the floor after being drafted in the first round but he’s still only 21 years old and would benefit from a less crowded point guard room. I could imagine Houston haggling over the added second-round pick but in the end, the Jazz deem the draft compensation necessary to get a deal over the line.

Remember, Clarkson picked up his option but he can be signed to an extension at any time, as long as the parameters fall within the new CBA guidelines. I could easily see Houston offering something like two years, $32 million.

Center: Clint Capela
    Rationale: Reports suggest the former Rockets big man is available once again and this was an option for a trade package similar to what the Jazz gave up to acquire John Collins earlier this week. It’s no secret that Atlanta is trying to shed money wherever they can and the Rockets are also trying to move Martin. Sometimes, the answer is right in front of you.

groovemachine and red5rocket like this.
  10. JW86

JW86 Member

pippendagimp and jch1911 like this.
  11. lionaire

lionaire Member

Meeting with champs and all-defense members only

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This guy is legit

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. jch1911

jch1911 Member

[​IMG]

BamBam likes this.
  14. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I don’t want fat midget drake.

15. mightybosstone

The Kyrie meeting to me still seems so weird. Honestly, it'll be hard for me to be disappointed by this free agency period, because my expectations for it have been pretty low—just add some quality vets on short-term deals. But adding Kyrie would completely ruin any excitement I have for this franchise going into next season. As long as they don't trade any of Jalen, Jabari, Sengun, Tari or Amen, OR sign Kyrie, I'll be pretty happy with this offseason. Please just stay away from Kyrie. Politely meet with him to help drive up the cost for Cuban and Dallas, and let that be it.

16. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Kyrie Irving, and/or Dillon Brooks and Kyle Kuzma would be massive downers for me.

Brooks and Kuzma because both are inefficient chuckers who had the balls to take away shots from Bradley Beal, Kristaps Porzingis, Ja Morant, and JJJ, those two would freeze the entire young core out of the offense thanks to "Seniority" unless glued to the bench.

mightybosstone likes this.
  17. mightybosstone

I don't like Kuzma because he doesn't really add anything this team doesn't already have and, to your point, he's really just a volume scorer. I at least understand where they're coming from with Brooks. They don't really have that elite defender at that 2-3 spot right now, and while his antics are obnoxious, they could use a guy with an edge who can bother elite offensive wings. I would like to think Udoka would pull him aside and tell him to stop chucking up bad shots on nights he's terrible or just bench him altogether, but that's definitely his downside, so I get the concern.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Brown is a good law firm and a decent university.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Seems just weird that Udoka wants an undersized PG.

20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

A perfect offseason would be VV, Brown and Lopez on 2 yr deals. If you have to trade off a few of the non core to create space do it. They land that group and they're in the playoffs next year no doubt. Hopefully Udoka has as much influence on dudes as touted.

BamBam likes this.