1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets pool of free agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 25, 2023.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Love that

2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

no we missed open shots. Potential assists don't mean you are a great team. San Antonio was the second most potential assist team.

3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Our natural growth is what will carry us back up the standings. The veterans we sign to help that are just a bonus

sydmill and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

IME and his staff will add 10+ wins alone. Adding some vets should get us a few more as well. I think 35-40 wins is achievable.

sydmill likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

With the Rockets making strides to becomes the worst shooting team in the modern NBA, I think there's a VERY good chance they manage to keep next year's first round pick. Guys like Dillon Brooks will definitely help with that.

solid likes this.
  6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't understand the Rocket's interest in Brooks, makes no sense to me.

jch1911 likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4653757/2023/06/30/james-harden-rockets-free-agency/

• What once thrived in the realm of serious potential to lift the Rockets franchise back into relevance is no more as the door between James Harden and the Rockets has been firmly slammed shut for good. What happened there is something you can read more about, with reporting from our Sam Amick and myself diving into the former MVP’s looming breakup with the Philadelphia 76ers and a future that no longer involves Houston. But as far as the Rockets go, it’s time to turn the page and focus on what their options are to build this roster into a potential winner…

• Ahead of the beginning of free agency, Houston’s brass traveled to Los Angeles to set up camp and prepare for a number of meetings that will take place over the next few days. At the outset, they will meet with with wing Dillon Brooks and center Brook Lopez, league sources say. They also hope to meet with Van Vleet and his representatives. In addition, the Rockets are expecting to meet with Kyrie Irving, those sources add, and also have strong interest in Bruce Brown who is said to have a good relationship with Udoka. In Brown’s case, Houston would be prepared to go over the mid-level exception to land his services, according to sources briefed on the matter. Other big man targets include Dwight Powell and Jakob Poeltl. Jordan Clarkson, who reportedly picked up his option for next season, is also of interest. A meeting with forward Kyle Kuzma has also been mentioned as a possibility.

Rockets Free Agency Big Board
    1. Fred Van Vleet | PG | Toronto Raptors
    2. Dillon Brooks | SF | Memphis Grizzlies
    3. Brook Lopez | C | Milwaukee Bucks
    4. Bruce Brown Jr. | SF | Denver Nuggets
    5. Kyrie Irving | PG | Dallas Mavericks
    6. Cam Johnson | PF | Brooklyn Nets
    7. Austin Reaves | PG/SG | Los Angeles Lakers
    8. Jakob Poeltl | C | Toronto Raptors |
    9. Dwight Powell | C | Dallas Mavericks
    10. Grant Williams | C | Boston Celtics

• Because of their spending power in the market, the Rockets are confident in landing the targets they desire. Having considerably more cap space than rival teams gives them an inherent advantage when it comes to pursuing hot commodities, although there is the reality that some players will opt for contending environments or familiarity. However, the Rockets will prioritize shorter term contracts and are willing to offer more money up front for players they are strongly interested in, league sources say. Non-negotiable areas of need that have been identified are shooting and defense/rim protection.

• Finding an established point guard and shoring up playmaking deficiencies has long been Houston’s most important task but there is an important caveat. Similar to the Rockets’ draft prep where they discussed potential scenarios in which certain players would be off the board, such is the same in free agency. There have been some discussions where top point guards opt for places outside of Houston. In that scenario, league sources say, one idea presented was to aggressively pursue a player like Brown — a wing defender with secondary ball handling ability — and afford more on-ball reps to Thompson and Green to aid their development.

• Trade talks surrounding fourth-year forward Kenyon Martin Jr. have increased in number in recent days with the expectation that a trade this offseason is increasingly likely, league sources say. To be clear, Martin has not requested a trade since this time last season, but with Houston still seeking avenues to improve their financial flexibility heading into July, Martin’s combination of age, upside and salary makes him an attractive candidate on the market.

• Stone has spent a considerable amount of time with Udoka over these last few weeks, getting a clearer understanding for his wants and needs. In conversations, Udoka’s preferred style of play has had an influence on the types of players the Rockets are looking for. One area that was also stressed was those that can help improve the young players’ quality of life on and off the court.

• At the conclusion of last season, it was communicated to the players in exit meetings that nothing was guaranteed moving forward such as playing time or rotational status. This is a team that has won just 42 games in a two year span. With change on the horizon, there would need to be a mental shift as well. Earlier this week, Udoka expressed a similar sentiment. Entitlement won’t fly in phase two.

Contingency planning (assuming top targets are off the table)

Point guard: Jordan Clarkson

[​IMG]

Rationale: The Jazz are one of the teams that have been eyeing Martin for a while with Jazz executive Danny Ainge said to have been a fan of the 22-year-old’s upside. TyTy Washington Jr.’s value is probably diminished some as he barely saw the floor after being drafted in the first round but he’s still only 21 years old and would benefit from a less crowded point guard room. I could imagine Houston haggling over the added second-round pick but in the end, the Jazz deem the draft compensation necessary to get a deal over the line.

Center: Clint Capela

[​IMG]

Rationale: Reports suggest the former Rockets big man is available once again and this was an option for a trade package similar to what the Jazz gave up to acquire John Collins earlier this week. It’s no secret that Atlanta is trying to shed money wherever they can and the Rockets are also trying to move Martin. Sometimes, the answer is right in front of you.

Way-too-early depth chart

PG: A. Thompson | T. Washington Jr.
    SG: J. Green | C. Whitmore | J. Christopher
    SF: K. Porter Jr. | T. Eason | K. Martin
    PF: J. Smith Jr. | J. Tate
    C: A. Sengun | U. Garuba

• Don’t get too attached to labels. For example, I grouped Whitmore under the “shooting guard” category although I know he played more in the frontcourt at Villanova. I just consider him a big wing at the NBA level. If his scoring and defensive potential is legit, Udoka might have an athletic, explosive talent on his hands that he could deploy against opposing second units as Whitmore eases his way into the league.

• The argument, which has been the argument for as long as I can remember, will revolve around small forward. Remember, this is not how the team will look by the time training camp rolls around or even this Sunday evening. And trust me, I wrestled with this idea for a long time. But I ended up settling on Porter — for now. I understand the notion for Eason, his defensive versatility and why that endears him to Udoka. But the most consistent word I heard about the new head coach has been shooting and Porter was by and large the Rockets best last season. He’s also a natural scorer that has the ability to create plays as a secondary nature which should mesh well with Thompson’s natural playmaking. I could also see Porter used as a microwave scorer off the bench as well.

sirjesse, Rudyc281, seclusion and 4 others like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I legitimately believe that the Rockets don't like competent shooters at positions other than C.

They draft a SG that can't shoot a few years back, now a PG that can't shoot, then they move to bring in a SF that can't shoot.....coming from a team that said under no circumstances was that godawful scrub allowed to be on their roster next season.

The Rockets FO/Udoka seem to have a type....awful players.

9. JW86

JW86 Member

Hahahah no.

10. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

I didn’t realize brooks was second team all nba defense I can see why the rockets interested

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They are interested because of his 49.4 TS%, that's EXACTLY what they are looking for.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Rockets Free Agency Big Board
    1. Fred Van Vleet | PG | Toronto Raptors
    2. Dillon Brooks | SF | Memphis Grizzlies
    3. Brook Lopez | C | Milwaukee Bucks
    4. Bruce Brown Jr. | SF | Denver Nuggets
    5. Kyrie Irving | PG | Dallas Mavericks
    6. Cam Johnson | PF | Brooklyn Nets
    7. Austin Reaves | PG/SG | Los Angeles Lakers
    8. Jakob Poeltl | C | Toronto Raptors |
    9. Dwight Powell | C | Dallas Mavericks
    10. Grant Williams | C | Boston Celtics

how the hell is Dillon Brooks ahead of Brook Lopez? That’s just f#cking stupid. Dwight Powell ahead of Grant Williams. Someone is putting crack on their cheerios.

ArtV, TimDuncanDonaut and jch1911 like this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think you know what the word "potential" means.

A potential assist is recorded by tracking every shot - make or miss - that would have resulted in an assist had the shot gone in.

So even if the Rockets miss a shot, the pass would be counted as a potential assist.

Saying we were last in potential assists because we missed shots makes no sense, as missed shots are actually counted in the calculation.

YOLO likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Well if you believe the hype the reason why this team stunk at shooting was because the passes were not crisp enough! :rolleyes:

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Bobby serious question - cause maybe I only see the doom and gloom posts, maybe the positive ones are out there somewhere, but do you like any players or decision makers on any of the teams you cheer for?

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised to see Poeltl so low. Isn't he a really good defensive center? I admit I haven't watched much of him, but I thought he was supposed to have been really good for the Raptors last year. I assumed all along that Toronto wouldn't let him leave. If we have a chance to get him I think we should pursue it.

I'm sure it's not possible but if we could somehow walk away with FVV, Brown, and Poeltl that would be HUGE for our defense. And I say this as someone who isn't really a FVV fan.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can’t say I watch Yakob Purtle either. :D

Hollinger:
    2. Jakob Poeltl, 27, Toronto: $25,260,040

The midseason trade to the Raptors means that Poeltl is now literally a dinosaur center. The issue for him in free agency is how much such players are really worth in today’s NBA? Even an elite version of that player, such as Poeltl, has limitations. Offensively, he can pass, screen and shoot floaters, but he has no 3-point range and has to be taken off the floor in hack-a-Jak situations. Defensively, he is an awesome rim protector who rebounds, but doesn’t fare as well in switching schemes.

That skill set has been devaluated in the modern NBA, but Poeltl is one of the best versions of that archetype. Additionally, the Raptors seem pot-committed after giving up a lightly protected first (top-six through 2026) to add Poeltl to an average roster still in flux. This BORD$ value may be slightly overenthusiastic, but I’m willing to bet the first digit on Poeltl’s 2023-24 salary is a 2.

jch1911 likes this.
  19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

How is Bruce brown a 6’4 small forward? Thought he was a pg.

Stone really likes midgets.

20. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I know people are out on Dillon Brooks because of how he looked vs LA, but I think Rockets will take him on because of his defense and they (Ime) feel like they can get him to play the right way. We would not be looking to make him a primary scorer, he would be a 3&D wing. He was 2nd team all defense, we NEED that type of player to go with our young squad. Memphis was a mess last year, no leadership. We now have a coach that will hold him accountable right off the bat. We not giving him max money on a long term deal.