1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsflash: FVV and Brooks at 2yr/$80m & $40m are BAD contracts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a dreadful trade for the Sixers.

James Harden just single-handedly win 2 games against Boston. Trading him for trash.

2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

adding two guys that will be taking a minimum of 35 shots a game combined at poor efficiency is not too thrilling for me.

kspires999, RasaqBoi and Imanimal like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

freeing fred from F'n canada i see as a charitable and humanitarian gesture in its own right

but bringing dillon brooks here aww hell no F no

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Paying FVV 500K a game.

5. Landry's Tooth

Maybe so... have to wonder if Paul George was trying to get Jalen to say something stupid to make James not want to come here...

Harden has a better shot at ring with lakers than clippers...

I don't think either is that great...

I think Phoenix could pull it off if they can unload Ayton to a third team...

6. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

FVV got frustrated with the young players in TOR, what’s makes HOU different from TOR?

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. mario_v

mario_v Member

Droppingdimes20 said “Houston’s got drake’s twin. Done deal.”

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

That list with only one current player on it makes it seem like Russell is at least arguably one of the worst defensive guards currently in the league and that was my main point in regards to the Rockets bringing him in. Sure there might be some guys that don't play much that are worse but for regular every night rotation players Russell is near the bottom. Since the Rockets would be bringing him in to be the starting PG it makes sense to compare him to other players that get regular rotation minutes.

9. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I agree to an extent about the new CBA salary floor measures - very fair point…but I still think we had a responsibility over the last few years to better balance playing time of vets and young talent - especially with a coaching staff who didn’t have a proven track record of playing development. The glut of draft picks we have acquired the last few years has put us in an awkward spot with lots of talent to develop and not enough minutes to go around to develop those players - and that’s before we even talk about the inexplicable allegiance to Daishen Nix. Now we are in a worse position because we have to bring in contracts which further exacerbate the problem but to your point - the cost to absorb bad contracts is hardly worth it. At this point we should just be offloading guys like Garuba, JC, KMJ for anything we can get because we don’t have minutes to develop their potential…it’s kind of sad because I think those guys could have been useful players with more development time available and we are likely selling low on them now because it’s clear they need development work.

11. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

include them in sign and trade for a wing if you use all the cap space on FVV and Lopez. (Dillon Brooks, Grant Williams, etc)

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

What can $60M buy you?

Fred VanVleet for $42M and Dillon “delusional” Brooks for $16M

[​IMG]

13. Landry's Tooth

I think that's fair but as you noted the basis for bottom 5 is using a stat that said he was better than FVV last year.

I think saying he's a bad defender is a simpler approach.

I have similar concerns about FVV on offense.

Among the 86 guards who played 50 or more games and 25 min per game, he was 67th in ts%, slightly higher than Jalen Green.

Only two players were worse than Brooks (Dennis Smith and Killian Hayes).

Yes, he had a worse than normal season. That is unusual given he just hit his prime.

I do worry he has peaked and having 3 (with Brooks) of the bottom 20 worst ts% in a starting lineup 1-2-3 is going to improve the defense but damage the offense.

If he can't shoot well enough for space the paint is going to get clogged and then we get a similar situation when the Rockets moved capela to go small needing a 5 who can space.

That's why I prefer someone more balanced on both sides of the ball.

That's why I go back to Derrick White...

He's 23rd in ts% (Russell is 21). He doesn't come with the defensive baggage Russell has. His assist to turnover is 8th out of those 86. His assist ratio is 47th.

His defensive rating is #2 and his offensive rating is 12th.

He's just a solid nba player who would get the job done...

gmoney411 likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Landry's Tooth

I would rather see something like this... spotrac allows both pieces separately, not sure all together...

To Boston: (sign and trade):
    FVV

To Toronto:
    Derrick White
    Payton Pritchard

Then:

To Toronto:
    Kevin Porter Jr
    Kenyon Martin
    2 #1 picks

To Rockets:
    Derrick White
    OG Anunoby

Then sign Brooks or Grant Williams.

Toronto turns FVV leaving and Anunoby into KPJ, Pritchard, KJM, and 2 picks.

Celtics get their target.

Rockets get experienced players with shooting and defense without doing a huge contract to one guy...

kspires999 likes this.
  16. Caesar

Caesar Member

FVV is not as efficient as i thought. Adding Brooks too? With Jabari? Green? We're building the biggest brick house in NBA history.
    Brook and Kyrie are the only 2 high efficiency guys we can get. Kyrie will sit out games and let Amen get good run. 2 year max, tell them both they can be traded next summer to a contender.

kspires999 likes this.
  17. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

The 3 players that are the most inefficient chuckers... Fred VanVleet, Dillon Brooks, and Kyle Kuzma.... yooooouuuur Hoooouuustonnnn ROCKETS!

YOLO likes this.
  18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

We are on the same page on this.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Some of y'all expect the Rockets to sign Giannis or Luka Doncic and nothing below that is worthwhile. Did y'all not watch the last 3 years?

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You didn't want James back, so stop b****ing. You want Kyrie? :p