1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agent Target: Fred VanVleet (UFA)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Apr 18, 2023.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Fitting someone who “slammed” the over on the rockets win total thinks a average guard like FVV is a top 20 player in the league.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Also ranks top 20 on any metric that measure total impact on winning like WAR, RAPTOR, LEBRON etc

But I’m not surprised casuals like yourself just look at the fg%.

zeeshan2 likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Hahahahahhahhhah casuals. Ok Mr. I pounded the over on the rockets wins. Nice one. Glad you lost. You definitely deserved it with your stupidity. Funny what was this top 20 player doing after 82 games. Oh he was in Cancun

4. Rokman

Rokman Member

You know what would be f'd up?

Raptors give Fred VanVleet a 4 year Max and trade him to Philly for Harden on his one year deal.

Rockets left with their d!ck in their hand.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Doncic
    Giannis
    Butler
    AD
    Lebron
    Curry
    Morant
    KD
    Booker
    Embiid
    Tatum
    Fox
    SGA
    Jokic
    PG
    Harden
    Mitchell
    Sabonis
    Ant
    Lillard
    Jaylen Brown

There's easily at least 20 better players. Haven't even included the perenially injured or head cases like Zion, Kawhi, KP or Kyrie who when on court, are clearly superior. There's at least another 10-15 in the Ingram, Lavine, Trae, Siakim, Brunson category that people can easily argue as better than Fvv.

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I would rather have KPJ for 2 more years.

DaDakota likes this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

You know who else was in Cancun? Luka, Kyrie, Dame, Sga, Haliburton. Your casual ass probably has never thought you’ve been wrong in your life that’s why you are getting so tight over the first time you’ve seen someone wrong over a sports bet.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would wait, a vet PG is available at the trade deadline, just roll with what they have.

Try to get Lopez, try to get a slightly normal wing not Dillon.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Oh it isn’t just the sports bet. That’s just something I’ve laughed at for awhile. You simply just have some of the worst takes around here. Just add FVV is a top 20 player in the league to it. Epitome of a poser that acts like “they know ball”.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Glad you follow me like that but I don’t even know who you are. I have no clue what “takes” you have.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, Gradey D is in Toronto.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Oh you definitely do

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I still would not pay a 6 foot guy 40 million.

Not him, not Chris Paul, not Iverson.

DaDakota and RasaqBoi like this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

We have already established that $40m/year is an overpay. It is the necessary price tag to lure a player of this caliber to a poverty franchise like we have been the last three years. Also more importantly, for the next two years there’s nothing better to spend that money on anyways. Are we crying for Silver and Tilman? This does not impact our long term cap space whatsoever.

Also the two other 6 footers you mentioned were HOFers, mvp candidates, and actually absolutely worthy of $40m/year.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is no manual that says the borderline All Star player has to be a PG lmao.

The focus is for young players to hone their craft and not for the babysitter to take over.

I think some fans get their heads turned and lose focus. And it began with the 34 year old Harden comeback.

I agree to disagree ......that 2 years are nothing, you cannot turn a culture around in 1 or 2 years.

That is just my 2 cents, just leave it there.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

There is massive difference between paying him $40M/year for 2 years versus 4. You're getting his age 29 and age 30 seasons. FVV on that contract is very tradeable. You aren't stuck with that salary, you can offload it easily in the following offseason.

As fans, it's not worth it to get too hung up on whether the guy is getting paid "too much" or whether he's "worth it". It's not our money getting spent. The only reason to be concerned about the dollar amount is if it impedes our flexibility to make better moves, which this would not.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

What other borderline allstar players are available?

Can’t turn around the culture in 1 or two years? if you don’t spend that money on winning players and run with the current kids on the roster you know what will happen in two years? Another 20-30 win season, without getting a high pick back for it this time. You know how to turn around a losing culture? Sign winning players, then the kids can learn how to play.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/minneso...nley signed a 3,dead cap value of $24,360,000.

Here is the Conley contract.

He helped both the Jazz and stabilized the Timberwolves.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is very debatable.

Just because Ferntits want to win 40 games NOW does not mean the team has to sell its soul to 2 year rentals.