1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think the pandemic really screwed Schreiber. He was drafted as an older prospect but had tools and produced nicely in his first 2 pro seasons. Had 2020 been normal he could have reached AA and really put himself on the map. Instead he didn’t play in 2020 and was put down in High A as a 25 year old to start 2021. That really reduced his margin for error, so when he got hurt and missed so much time in 2022 he was already on borrowed time.

The Astros have to clear 20+ Org spots next month so I imagine we will see a handful of guys released each week in July unless they plan to just do one big dump when all the draftees sign.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

At this point, Pedro Leon will always strike a lot. Does he ever get a chance given his other skills.

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Darwin De Leon hit a grand slam (2) for the DSL Orange team as the Astros' two DSL teams are playing each other today. All three of Cristopfer Gonzalez's hits for the Blue team resulted in runs: he hit two RBI singles and an RBI triple.

Waner Luciano hit his 2nd homer in the FCL. Carlos Espinosa allowed two runs (one earned) on three hits and struck out eight in 2.2 innings. Yep... 8 of Espinosa's 9 outs were strikeouts.

#1823 tellitlikeitis, Jun 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  4. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

There are a handful of complex league players that need to come up between now and the draft and they will need room too.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I like what I’ve seen from the two Cuban middle infielders on the FCL team, Alejandro Nunez and Alberto Hernandez. Very very good k/bb ratios. Stealing bases. Hernandez showing doubles power. Always have to take FCL stats with a big grain of salt but both guys are worth tracking and could break out if they are assigned to Fayetteville next season.

6. htownbball

htownbball Member

What's keeping Jacob Melton from really exploding? His strikeout rate has become acceptable after a terrible first month, he draws walks at a great pace, and he's showing the power from college translates. So why can't he get the average over .250? Seems like every time he gets close he goes on an O-fer streak and he has to climb back to the .240 range

7. prospecthugger

He's hitting the ball in the air a lot (44%) with a pretty low LD rate (15%) giving him a somewhat low BABIP. I wonder if he's trying to hit too many HRs with the short RF in Asheville.

vince likes this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The bottom line is that as a talented college hitter in his first full season of pro ball he has shown enough. The inconsistency and o-fers are part of the growing process.

I'm excited to watch him the next few years.

It's absolutely crazy how many LHH high ceiling OF the Astros have but he has one of the higher floors to go with it.

vince and prospecthugger like this.
  9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I dunno. A high-level college hitter hitting .242 in HiA is worth being concerned about. I wouldn't expect an 80 pt drop in BA from LoA to HiA for a guy with his pedigree. Says he should be focusing more on contact than he is. Dunno if its a swing decision problem or trouble with a particular pitch but he needs to work on it.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s hard to nitpick a guy on track for 30+ HR and 60+ SB in a season. His k rate is not high so I don’t necessarily think it’s an issue of swing decisions or contact ability (although we can’t rule that out entirely). I think he’s having some less than ideal batted ball luck. A guy with his power should post a babip well over .273. He put up a .396 babip last season in a small sample.

Nook, vince, raining threes and 3 others like this.
  11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Stock unchanged for me on Melton; I figured he'd be a slower burn than Gilbert.

Nook, SWTsig, BlindHog and 3 others like this.
  12. xcrunner51

Snake you and I both know minor league SB numbers are near worthless, particularly to a team like the Astros. Minor leaguers have the green light pretty much all the time. I would have to look it up the last time the Astros even had a 30SB guy. They just have a very different ML base-stealing strategy at the big league level than in the minors, not to mention most ML's aren't going to be on-base nearly as often as they are in the minors.

i dunno how you're projecting 30 HR's this season. He's at 12 HR in 52 games. Asheville's played 65 total. The HiA season is 132 games. I'd guestimate he finishes with 24-26HR if he's not promoted.

At his stage of development, I'd much rather see a more polished hit tool than power (or speed for that matter). He'll grow into more power just with physical maturity. He needs good hitting habits now.

13. Buck Turgidson

No need: Altuve, 2017

vince and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. xcrunner51

Thanks. Figured it’d be someone like that. Point is the Astros have had plenty of fast players recently (Tuve, Springer, or heck even people like Siri). But for whatever reason at the big league level they focus more about not making unforced outs on the base paths rather than taking that extra bag. So getting excited about minor SB numbers is moot.

lol, I remember getting excited when DDJ stole 100 bases that one year…

/soapbox

vince and Buck Turgidson like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wasn’t calling out Melton’s SB totals as some kind of prediction for how many bases I expect him to steal with the Astros, it was just part of balancing his overall production as a player against the knock someone made against his OBP/BABIP. SB totals aren’t close to the most meaningful stat for prospects, but they aren’t worthless. If a guy steals a bunch of bases in the minors (especially in the upper levels), it shows he at least has some kind of speed. It’s a small data point to add to the bottom of the list.

Nook and prospecthugger like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Vince Coleman in '87 was the last to steal 100 (he did it 3 years in a row)

17. Marteen

Marteen Member

This is an interesting one to me. Joey Loperfido is starting at first base tonight for the Hooks.

18. prospecthugger

Espinosa was promoted to Fayetteville today, apparently.

19. HTown2017Champs

He has rotated between 1B, 2B, LF, CF, and RF all season long. I don't think this is anything unusual.

Bregatron and prospecthugger like this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Misael Tamarez pitched 3 great innings tonight before falling apart in the 4th. I think it is past time to move him into a BP role. I have very high hopes for him in 1 inning stints where he can throw his 96-98 mph heater 75% of the time use his cutter only as a way to keep hitters off. I just don’t see him making the changes needed to succeed as a SP.

IowaAstro, vince, No Worries and 2 others like this.