1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsflash: FVV and Brooks at 2yr/$80m & $40m are BAD contracts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's really not a good comparison. Chris Paul has is an all time floor general, FVV is not really a point guard imo that's why Raptors fans don't want him on the team anymore. His various knee issues took away his scoring efficiency and defense which was the his selling point

2. Landry's Tooth

Sign Deangelo Russell 65 over 2.

Sign Grant Williams 55 over 3.

Sign Jaxon Hayes 25 over 2.

That's about 63 million there to fill up cap space...

Deangelo Russell / Amen Thompson / TyTy
    Jalen Green / Kevin Porter Jr / Josh Christopher
    Jabari Smith / Kenyon Martin / Cam Whitmore
    Grant Williams / Tari Eason / Jae'Sean Tate
    Alperen Sengun / Jaxson Hayes / Usman Garuba

All needs addressed...

Then move some younger pieces if the right deal comes up...

ilias likes this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ain't nobody else wants our money, I guess. No one worth half a s**t, anyway.

4. Landry's Tooth

Some of us don't have 3 hours to break down tape to confirm a fleeting thought...

You need to ease up a bit...

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Rockets would be bringing them in for defense and experience. Asset collecting and cap management is important but the Rockets are at a point where they have a ton of young talent with no legitimate vets to teach them. Udoka’s job of teaching the young guys gets significantly easier if he has legit NBA starters that actually know how to do what he is teaching.

justtxyank likes this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Cue the insiders also posting Harden back to Houston as highly likely repeatedly from January to May.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You don't need to break down tape to know that D'Angelo Russel and Fred Van Fleet are not the same type of players at all. You just need to have watched them play sometime.

If you haven't, that's fine. There's players in the NBA I have never seen play. There's too many of them! But I wouldn't pull up their shooting percentage and pretend I know what kind of player they are either.

BamBam, YOLO and SamFisher like this.
  8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Deangelo Russell solves nothing. He’s been passed around the league because he’s not a winning player. Bringing him in to run the point would cause more problems. I’d honestly take no new pg over Russell.

9. Mephisto

Mephisto Member

vanskeet finna lead us to the promised land

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I know a couple's beard when I see two.

Brooks had the worst shooting pct in the Playoffs but it is only 2 years.

#130 daywalker02, Jun 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
  11. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

In trying to convince myself that VanVleet is the best available FA, I've done a quick comparison to some of the other UFAs:

Jevon Carter, Dennis Schroeder, or Gabe Vincent. Low profile, journeyman type players. Maybe there's starter upside, but I don't think they're the kind of guys to command a locker room or move the needle on winning.

Reggie Jackson, Cory Joseph, Ish Smith and Pat Bev. Aging vets and mentors. Great to have on the bench, but they're pretty washed.

D'Angelo Russell is talented, but FVV brings much better leadership, intangibles, and actually tries on defense.

It's definitely not a bargain signing, and I'm not crazy about his shot diet, but VanVleet does check boxes for both winning games and pushing the young guys out of their comfort zone. Udoka did say everything would have to be earned.. If I'm KPJ, Green, Amen, TyTy, or Christopher, I see FVV as a real threat to my role/minutes so I'm doing everything I can to learn from him and outwork him.

ramotadab and matchesmalone like this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Brooks shot less than 40% from the floor last season (if I'm not mistaken). Putrid. Dude should be lucky to get the minimum.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. marinara

marinara Member

Nah just do FVV at those numbers don’t do both

14. Bob Barker 007

I can kind of understand the VanVleet deal even though it’s an overpay. Can someone help me understand the Brooks deal? He’s a worse, more expensive player than Lowry and isn’t worth anything on the trading block anyway, so he’s not a flippable asset. We also still need a center and can’t afford Lopez if we sign Brooks. A trade for a center seems necessary at this point unless we want Poetl

napalm06 likes this.
  15. Landry's Tooth

My preference is for someone like Derrick White but it takes 2 to tango and I doubt they want to move another PG...

If you're going drop big cap space like 40 million, that's when I want more upside...

16. Landry's Tooth

He can shoot and pass, something we lack on this team...

I like other guys better but that was in context of van vleet who shoots in the low 40s from 2.

When in doubt, I lean the younger and cheaper option. Neither one is going to be a franchise guy.

Both kind of Tobias Harris level talent getting overpaid.

17. Landry's Tooth

I didn't, I looked at production. I don't doubt FVV may be better on defense. My concern is FVV is a smaller guard who isn't efficient at scoring.

It's hard to argue Russell has poor vision with a consistent 6 or 7 assist average per season playing 32 minutes.

You need to stop taking things so personally.

18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I think the Rockets would like someone different than FVV if they could pick anybody but that's not the way it works. FVV is the best available defensive PG with championship experience and good playmaking.

19. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

But who? And for what? We either can look at backups like Monte Morris - or we are looking at borderline all-stars. The first group may not even be an upgrade to what we have right now. The second group is really expensive. What do you think a Garland would go for? Look at the deals lately or the asking price for guys going around. We'd probably talk about 4 frps plus a young talent. Would he or another player be worth that? Maybe - but even if we think so, it is no guarantee that we could even then get that deal done.

The nice thing about FA and short term deals is, that we don't mortgage our future. And I don't believe we are at the point, where we should do that. Once we are at least close to competing, then we can think about a homerun deal where we trade away that many future picks. Right now, at phase 2, I am fine with overpaying FAs to mentor our young core and instill a winning culture, that are out of the door and from our payroll again in 2 years. We don't need our finished roster this season, we need it maybe in 2025 or 2026.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

DeAngelo Russell is a Christian Wood type player. If you look at their stats you can be tricked into thinking they are better players than they are. But every team that ends up with them realizes that those stats are empty and they don't bring intangibles to help you win. Russell doesn't play smart basketball and he's not a good defender. If a team is a looking for a vet to play defense, run the offense, and teach young guys how to win, they shouldn't bring in DeAngelo because those aren't his strengths.