1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agent Target: Fred VanVleet (UFA)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Apr 18, 2023.

1. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

upload_2023-6-28_10-54-14.gif

Salvy and BamBam like this.
  2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

He has been a very good defensive player IIRC. I think he started to fall off a tad bit last year vis-a-vis previous seasons.

sirjesse and kubli9 like this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FVV is an excellent defensive player. Just like CP3, because he isn't long and flashy people assume he's mediocre.

19-20 https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/year/2020/sort/DRPM/position/2
    20-21 https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/year/2021/sort/DRPM/position/2
    21-22 https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/year/2022/sort/DRPM/position/2
    22-23 https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/2

The thing that would concern me is that he is an inefficient scorer, and would probably want his stats to secure his next contract if he were here on a short deal. If he was amenable to being a game manager and not a primary scorer he would be a perfect fit for this team, and an ideal use of short term cap space.

BamBam likes this.
  4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah man it’s weird. I think he’s efficient in the pnr, like his PPP is near the top of the league there, despite his poor personal shooting efficiency. My guess is that he’s a good orchestrator/floor general so he produces good offense, but he just can’t shoot. I have barely watched him though, so this is just a guess. It’s really unusual to see advanced metrics that are so high in a guy that is such an inefficient scorer so that’s all I can come up with.

5. MystikArkitect

I see Toronto offering him 4 years - 120m and he stays. 2 years @ 80m is an ideal contract for us though. Test out Amen and have FVV for two years and we can let him walk once Amen's ready to take over.

6. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

I think the 2 year contracts we're offering are our strong negotiating starting point, but to seal the deal we're going to end up offering the third year to one or both of FVV and Lopez.

No way Toronto matches $110m/3. I could see Stone going up to $120m/3 even.

The salary cap savings trophy isn't helping Stone keep his job this season, wins are.

BMoney and Aruba77 like this.
  7. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

8. JW86

JW86 Member

He won’t sign here.

9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think FVV would want two years, he would get a bigger bag in two years….he loves betting on himself.

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I have not heard anything that Stone and Ime are going to meet FVV this Friday. We better send FVV the new APPLE VR HEADSET. He need to meet with him Friday or Saturday…..

Returning the same core would mean re-signing point guard Fred VanVleet and center Jakob Poeltl, two of the top free agents on the 2023 market. According to Grange, the Raptors are expected to meet with VanVleet in Los Angeles on Friday when free agency opens and are working out plans to link up with Poeltl as well.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Do not want - if we are gonna upgrade, get a real upgrade.

DD

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I feel the Rockets are just pushing the price tag up for the poor
    sucker that signs VanVleet.

I personally don't want him.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  13. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Kemba Walker would take a short term deal and much less money. A player like FVV getting anywhere near $40 million/year is bad for business. I'd rather the Rockets take a chance on Kemba and just let KPJ/Amen/Tate run the point if he gets injured.

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

None are available.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

No, the Rockets need a starting quality PG who is still a starter, who is a pro, can play defense and is not a ball stopper. Kemba Walker is toast. He would not start for a single team in the NBA at this point.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I don’t want a midget point guard.

17. kpdark

kpdark Member

how about Pat Beverly

Amen's going to take up half the point guard duties for development/defensive purposes at most anyway

TYty needs some looks too

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Anyone like Paul Reed as much as I do? We could steal him from Philly and solve our switchable big man defense problem. Doubt Philly can match a good offer if they have to pay Harden. Paul Reed is one of the most underrated players in the NBA, very young, 7’2” wingspan, and would be a very smart savvy signing.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Starting at PG, standing at too small tall, hailing from Wichita State, nummmmber 23 F-V-V

[​IMG]

RasaqBoi likes this.
  20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

[​IMG]