1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsflash: FVV and Brooks at 2yr/$80m & $40m are BAD contracts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You have to enjoy the influx of threads this time of the year. Everyone wants their voice heard.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Sheesh! That man had a family, YOLO!

Htown Stros likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is the only voice I want to hear

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

everybody talks about Jokic, but this guy is the real reason the Nuggets are the world champs

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

JMAD21 likes this.
  6. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I think the point OP is making that if all goes according to plan, the Rockets will not have cap room in the summer of 2025 due to Green/Sengun's extensions/cap holds in RFA, meaning that the only opportunity for Houston to add in FA as a below-cap team is either this summer or next. 2-year high AAV deals will make it such that the Rockets will not be able to reasonably participate in next year's FA class, so it's not just rolling over the cap room, there's a real opportunity cost to them, even if they will not affect the Rockets from a luxury tax perspective in 2025.

I understand the sentiment of wanting to preserve flexibility next summer, but to me, kicking the can down the road for yet another year by simply taking on expiring salary dumps this year is a mistake. You have to see what you have in Jalen Green and Sengun by the end of this year so you can decide whether they are the guys you want to build around. You also have a $30M decision on KPJ that you need to make by the trade deadline. Baseline competent PG play from FVV is probably the single best way to figure out if these guys were just held back by coaching, or if they simply don't have what it takes to succeed in the NBA.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

The 2024 free agent class is absolute trash. in no way is a 2 year deal stopping anything having to do with 2025 and beyond

And you're not getting a significant impact FA without having to overpay with 0 ties to houston off multiple 20 win seasons

#47 YOLO, Jun 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I believe!

JMAD21 likes this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Fred Van Fleet is easily in the average to below average area for starters at his position. He's somewhere in the 15-20 range of starting NBA PG's.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

hhahaha definitely not! FVV is easily top 15.

bmelo likes this.
  11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This is Hollinger's rankings for PG's:

1 Luka Doncic,
    2 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
    3 Damian Lillard,
    4 Stephen Curry
    5 Tyrese Haliburton
    6 Ja Morant
    7 Kyrie Irving
    8 Trae Young
    9 De'Aaron Fox
    10 Jalen Brunson
    11 Jrue Holiday
    12 Darius Garland
    13 Malcolm Brogdon
    14 Jamal Murray
    15 LaMelo Ball
    16 Chris Paul
    17 Tyrese Maxey

Harden is listed as a SG and Kyrie is listed as a PG here but those two can be swapped out...
    FVV is actually listed as a shooting guard in these rankings. He's listed at 13 on the shooting guard list, which of course has far fewer standout players than the PG position.

But since we are bringing him in the play PG, where on this list are you slotting him in at? I only listed 17 PGs

Full list here: https://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pg

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Was Bertans signed by a team that would get penalized if they didn't spend $$?

Agreed. No one is saying just pay anybody. But they have to pay somebody, or get penalized and spread the $$ around to current players on the team.

13. JW86

JW86 Member

Of that list, I’ll take FVV over:
    - Trae Young
    - LaMelo Ball
    - Brogdon
    - Garland
    - CP3 (at this point)

14. bmelo

bmelo Member

chill thats why they are 2 years

15. bmelo

bmelo Member

talking smack about championship pg is crazy....

16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

He is not a elite point guard but he is a all star point guard who will change the culture of our team. We are paying him for his production on the court but also in the locker room. I think we will average 20 points, 8 assists and play hard nose defense. Fred is a cultural changer! He will not allowed AAU basketball anymore, he will known to confront players about their attitude and he is very professional. Amen is talented but needs to know how to play in the NBA, how to win in the NBA. I heard that Lopez is going back to Milwaukee but it’s going to be a dog fight for FVV.

The max he can make is 40 million right now, but in two years because of his age he will be over 30 and will have a chance to get a bigger and his last contract. It would be stupid for FVV to sign for 4 years! If we give him the max at 40 million he could get another contract 2025 with a bigger max. I do not think anybody can pay him that much but Orlando is lurching as well.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

They're not the sexiest but just summarizing:

a) We have to use it to satisfy the cap floor, since Wall is off the books. 90% (~ 46? mil) of Cap has to be used before start of next regular season.

b) Our team is bad and in need of vets and defense. They help fill the role in short term. I do agree and maintain that there are still better FA / rFA that do what Dillion does, (like Grant). I challenge Rockets to work harder to get them. Because even with Dillion i think Rockets is still paying him in ~12-13m; so it's really not a bargain. He's a solid defender but he wants 'shots' in the offense... that's concerning.
    • Dillion should be a fall back choice, not someone you get first. But if the news/rumors are true, he's likely one of the first to get signed. This is one of the reasons why I really question the FO's judgement.

c) Other teams like Ainge has rented cap space for John Collins. So some GMs are pulling nice steals ahead of us. There's room for improvement. Think Stone and co. have to cast a wider net than just FVV, Lopez and Dillion.
    • I'm OK with FVV.
    • Lopez too (but sounds like Brook don't wanna be here). If his heart is not in it; forcing it can cause issues down the line; when meritocracy is at play. If Brooks is outplayed, and Ime starts Sengun/Garuba over him, is Brook cool with it... or is he like "I never want to come here in the first place".
    • But we can definitely do better than Dillion.

When people are talking about judging Rafael Stone's trade and free agent signing ability (not drafting), this is what they're talking about. Can you do better than Oladipo, Theis and Wood. Even with all this cap space and money, are you really going after Dillion Brooks FiRsT?

Who's working the phones right now? Rafael, Patrick, Eli?

#57 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  18. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Competitive in YR1 and much needed maturity in the locker room, a large expiring to attach to picks in YR2 in case a big(get) name becomes available, no own picks in 2024. I don’t see the downside to overpaying on 2-YR contracts.

19. thekad

thekad Member

Someone needs to frame this post for its utterly confident stupidity.

Reading is fundamental.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

someone needs to go back to school and learn simple timelines

it sure isn't fundamental for you

wah wah wah Green/Sengun are going to be on their 2nd contracts this coming season or after that. When in reality, that isn't happening when they're on their rookie deals. but but but but