1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Rockets front office have a problem with Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 27, 2023.

1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Weird comps. I see nothing of Rodman or Draymond's game in Sengun.

2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Agreed.

When comping the stats I was shocked at how good of a 3pt shooter he is to SenGod.

You can't be chucking 3's at a 28% or less if you're Sengen. Teams will just make Alpy shoot from the perimeter and expose him. Then proceed to work him on the post.

3. mightybosstone

The post I quoted was talking about Tari, not Sengun.

Ren ason likes this.
  4. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

At age 20 he averaged 14.8pts, 9 rebounds 3.9 assists .9 steals .9 blocs on 29 minutes. Just by playing regular starter minutes, say 34 minutes, now would satisfy your expectations easily.

5. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Were you shocked that he is 12 years older than Sengod? And he did not take any threes until he was 26, and his % at the beginning was less than sengun's current?

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Another awesome insight from IKO. Jeez why post garbage like that?

8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Sengen hasn't reached Vuc numbers/levels at this point in time and I don't believe the Rockets are going to wait around for it to happen.

If the Rockets are trying to win, giving Vuc a 2-3 year deal works because he's a better player at this point in time than Sengen. I believe the Rockets FO/Udoka could care less about SenGod at age 26 because he probably won't be a Rocket.

He's a trade piece if the Rockets can upgrade the roster.

You might want to start creating an alt account or ask Clutch for a username change :p

Ren ason and AlperenSengun like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And FVV/Reaves are better players than KPJ/Green. Williams is a better player than Jabari.
    Should we just throw in a bunch of money to overpaid aging better players just to not even make the play in?
    Develop the talent here.

Ankara1923 and Hemingway like this.
  10. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

You're missing the point. Rockets want to win now and they aren't waiting on developing players.

Stone/Tillman aren't waiting.

Udoka isn't waiting.

They need to utilize cap space within the next two years for cap reasons that have been explained numerous times on this site. Short-term deals rule the day and there are a few All-Stars awaiting a new home. It'll be good for the city of Houston to not sit/watch a bunch of 22 year olds and tank when there's no incentive.

They tanked for Wemby and missed. Time to accelerate the rebuild.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment
    Vucevic didn’t develop a 3-point shot until his age 28 season. Sengun is comping ahead of Vucevic. Sengun had an eFG of almost 60% as a 20 year old. Vucevic’s best season was this past year at barely 59% after spending his career as a 55% eFG guy.

AlperenSengun and CVcrew like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ideally you want to take AND make 3's yes, but in Senguns case he takes 0.7 attempts per game. Sagging off of Sengun caused issues for the open court players on the team. His push shot should be repeatable in time, but he needs to make defenses respect him outside of the paint and at least take those shots when presented with them because it helps the whole team out.

13. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I think if you bring in another big man it’s one who has a different skill set. I think we were hoping this was Bruno. This makes sense to spell Sengun. I’m disappointed if it’s to push him to the bench. If Lopez goes back to the Bucks I don’t know there’s another big man available who we would bring in whom should start over Sengun.

#253 CVcrew, Jun 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  14. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

regarding meaningful comparisons, there are 5 centers among centers younger than 25 who shot better than sengun behind the arc, only one of them 22, the others 23 and 24. It is ironic that 3pt shot is one of the most promising, and open to development areas of his game and it is being held against him, ignoring the fact that Silas tried to stop him from taking 3s.

kspires999 likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I get that. But there isn’t a savior in this class, win organically and fill the team with some veterans that can help the young core grow.
    That or we just wasted 3 years.

Ime needs to prove he’s the coach we think he is

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

With that same logic the Rockets should just trade the entire roster for the Bulls’ and vie for 40 wins every year. You would even get a fully grown Jalen Green that no one wants anymore.

harold bingo likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

It’s weird that supposedly the Rockets keep trying to replace Sengun because they aren’t comfortable with his “archetype” even though one of that archetype just won the championship and the other led their team to the playoffs for the first time in 20 years with a top 3 record in the conference. Meanwhile one top 5% outcome for the archetype the Rockets actually want to make their franchise player (Green) just got dumped for peanuts (Beal) and the other is viewed as such a bad contract that he is untradable (Lavine).

keeez, cdastros and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You don’t accelerate the re-build by signing mediocre vets at a premium. They can sign or trade for a number of vets that will help us re-build. There is not a path toward contention that does not include developing our core youth. Paying enormous sums to vets that don’t even make you a contender is stupid. What do you think signing FVV and Lopez for example would enable us to do? Maybe contend for the last playoff spot or the play-in, while pushing the development of guys like Sengun and Amen further down the road. It is just not a logical approach.

harold bingo and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agreed. I think Sengun will be fine at progressing his 3 pt shot, but only if he quits hesitating. If he is wide open he just needs to let it fly, even if he starts out slow he will have a game or two that will get his confidence up and then I think he will end up around 35% from 3.

AlperenSengun and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed.
    And I don’t even think we come close to play in with them