1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime - nothing is Given anymore all will be earned!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 26, 2023.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Why do you think Amen can't earn it? Amen seem like he's the type of player a coach like Udoka would love.

PeterKingX, Arnel and Hui like this.
  2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Ime Udoka playing Time Prediction

PG Fred VanVleet 35 min, Amen Thompson 10 min, TyTy Washington
    SG Jalen Green 35 min, Cam Whitmore 10 min
    SF KJ Martin 25 min, KPJ 18 min
    PF JaeSean Tate 35 min, Tari Eason 15 min
    C Alperen Sengun 20 min, Jabari Smith 25 min

3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Ime Udoka playing Time Prediction

PG Fred VanVleet 35 min, Amen Thompson 10 min, TyTy Washington
    SG Jalen Green 35 min, Cam Whitmore 10 min
    SF KJ Martin 25 min, KPJ 18 min
    PF JaeSean Tate 35 min, Tari Eason 15 min
    C Alperen Sengun 20 min, Jabari Smith 25 min

Jontro likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because he's a PG that can't shoot who has never faced even G league quality competition.

I suppose if they have a dunk competition to hand out minutes, he might fare well, but if it's based on actually playing basketball, I don't see that going well for him.

Who knows, maybe he's just been pretending to not know how to shoot these past few years.

NewAge likes this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I love Sengun but if Brook Lopez beat him out in practice, then Lopez should start. However I believe Sengun will start with 30 minutes and Lopez play 20-25 minutes a night

Y2JT, bmelo, Arnel and 2 others like this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Porter played out of position… Nix played… Eason outplayed Jabari most of the season…

Why is Martin catching another pass on this forum?

He was moldy buns especially after the all star break. Starting, playing over 30 minutes but sub 30% 3pt shooter and a bad defender. Tate got hurt and his dad complained publicly, pretty sure none of this counts as earning it.

snowconeman22, Caesar and Arnel like this.
  7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You are only looking at one side of the ball. Amen might already be the best defensive PG on the roster. He's probably also the best passer at the position. Udoka let Smart throw up bricks for an entire season as the starter so I'm not sure being a bad shooter is an automatic out for him.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Or maybe he'll be terrible, I guess there's no way of knowing till he actually faces some real competition.

Just being athletic doesn't mean you are a competent defender, just ask Jalen Green.

I mean, it could happen, but I think going from playing against talentless 16 year old children to playing in the NBA most likely takes more than one year. I haven't seen anything from him that would make me assume he'd be an NBA quality player from day one.

9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Udoka said today at the conference that Amen has a defensive mentality that Udoka stresses. Maybe Amen is terrible but I'm not willing to say he's getting no playing time on a team that had zero NBA quality PGs currently on the roster.

Arnel likes this.
  10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think Amen will get minutes but I’m also fine with him and Cam playing major G league minutes most if the year. I think these were the right players to draft considering our current roster and draft positions. Now we sign some FAs raise our floor and culture and wait for a star to emerge or become available via trade.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Having a "defensive mentality" does not suggest he's any good at it though. He played against untalented children and his athleticism was enough to make up for all manner of flaws. That won't be the case in the NBA.

Unless Udoka is lying, I wouldn't expect Amen to play much given his very limited skillset, especially if the team adds a FA PG. He already was unlikely to be the starter, but if you add yet another PG ahead of him, it's really going to make the minutes few and far between.

If it was still Silas, he'd just throw him out there based on draft status, but Udoka says he doesn't do that.

12. serb

serb Member

I think KPJ is very underrated on this board. I predict him getting major min.

fattz and DaDakota like this.
  13. Hui

Hui Member

I think its great mentality from the Coach! He just made the guys more competitive for their roles. If your good your good you just got to earn it simple.

14. Hui

Hui Member

I think its great mentality from the Coach! He just made the guys more competitive for their roles. If your good your good you just got to earn it simple.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

He might not have the "right," but I promise he will not sit on the bench. I followed him at Auburn, he virtually never missed a jumper. I believe it was about the way he was set up. With the Rockets, he seldom got the ball where was comfortable. He also has high level defense. His weaknesses can be addressed. He is almost seven feet tall, agile, fast, and good jumper. He should be in the starting line up somewhere.

Y2JT, Arnel and don grahamleone like this.
  16. solid

solid Contributing Member

He might not have the "right," but I promise he will not sit on the bench. I followed him at Auburn, he virtually never missed a jumper. I believe it was about the way he was set up. With the Rockets, he seldom got the ball where he was comfortable. He also has high level defense. His weaknesses can be addressed. He is almost seven feet tall, agile, fast, and good jumper. He should be in the starting line up somewhere.

17. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The only player on this roster that has actually earned minutes, ironically, is Sengun.

18. vince

vince Member

Jalen Green needs to learn how to impose his will on a game. He just seems too relaxed letting the game come to him. He’s a highlight reel with great production, but he seems to only take what the defense gives him.

That is one guy I am excited to see the Rockets head coach tweek his approach to the game.

BamBam, Arnel and don grahamleone like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

KPJ will get plenty of minutes but he will likely have a different role and have to play more consistently hard than he has ever before.

If he is mature and does what is expected, he will play a big role - if he doesn’t, he will end up in China.

There isn’t a lot of in between with Udoka - you either thrive or you fail.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is shocking the haterade for him and his 19-5-5 game as a developing player.

He is arguably our best player.

Or on another team in the NBA - I expect him to thrive.....and pressure Green and for the Org to have to make a decision between him and Green, right now, KPJ is better......Green has some catching up to do.

DD