1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets pool of free agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 25, 2023.

1. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

What a sad sad list
    15 yrs ago we could have signed 2 superstars outright and had money left over

ashleyem and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. Lunareste

Lunareste Member

The problem is that all of the superstars available right now have humongous deficiencies. Even Harden is on the wrong side of 30 and producing far less than he did in his last Rockets stint.
    Why would we lock up these players for more than a year or two when they're not worth it?

Jontro and Corrosion like this.
  3. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I prefer spending the money in good young players (Reeves, Cam Johnson) than un Brook López. I know they are RFA and probable it is a waste of times because the other teams are going to match..
    We need to sign players with trade value, Grant , Kuzma.

evo8lover and palmsnbananas like this.
  4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

OK, I don't like many of these options, including Lopez and Brooks. Reaves seems unworkable, but I'd be OK with Johnson. So, somebody please explain it to me like I'm 12.

How much salary do we need to add to get to the minimum?
    Can we rewrite some current contracts or are all the youngsters tied to standard contracts?
    Could you give someone like Boban a bunch of money for one year to get to the minimum and still have a lot of space for next year?
    Are there any decent PGs that are available for the kind of trade we'd be willing to make (the Garuba, Martin, Tate, Josh, TyTy types)?
    Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks.

Deckard likes this.
  5. Rokman

Rokman Member

Seems to me like we just need to find a team that needs to dump a player to get under the tax and has a glut of point guards. Are there any such teams?

ArtV likes this.
  6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Its better to draft your own stars because you end up overpaying for an older guy on the downside when you get them in free agency.

raining threes and palmsnbananas like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sign Patrick Beverly and Jakob Poetl in FA.

DD

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Not really from what I can tell, assuming you're talking about point guards that are a clear upgrade as playmakers over KPJ. The closest thing would probably be Dejounte Murray, but I don't know that he comes cheap.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Sign:
    Lopez
    Josh Hart
    Grant Williams

Trade for a point guard

done.

ArtV and BaselineFade like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sounds like some/many want veterans who are ok with not playing or coming off the bench while they play the kids to a(nother) 25-win season (while giving OKC a top 7 pick).

“No, he’s gonna take away minutes from this guy!”
    “No, he’s gonna start in front of that guy!”
    “(So and so free agent) is not better than (current player on roster).”

This is what @SamFisher is talking about.

Winning 28 games while Mason Plumlee and George Hill mentor the kids. Sounds fun. At least they aren’t starting and taking away minutes and are just happy to be here, amirite?

Deckard, Rudyc281, Nook and 10 others like this.
  11. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Sign Lopez. Best defensive big man out there. Trade Martin , keep Tate, KPJ off the bench.
    Start
    Lopez
    Smith Jr
    Eason
    Green
    Thompson

Bench
    Sengun
    Tate
    KPJ
    Whitmore
    Chistopher
    Boban

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Lopez has made $21 million in a year and $22 million another season
    with lesser stat numbers. Why would he leave as he is comfortable in
    his role as a starter on a contender?
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/milwaukee-bucks/brook-lopez-6136/cash-earnings/

If the Bucks can give him the most years and most money.....he is going back
    to that contender.

I'm reading the Bucks are picked to get out of the East.....even without
    Middleton. Because they were the odds on favorite last year with
    Middleton missing significant time.

Not paying Middleton allows them to sign free agents as well.
    Good free agents go to contenders.....not to be backups
    to kids. We aren't talking washed up DJ Augustin here.

Some of you are having delusions of grandeur thinking Lopez will come here
    to be a backup.

#132 ApacheWarrior, Jun 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
  13. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

What a sad sad list
    15 yrs ago we could have signed 2 superstars outright and had money left over
    There are no superstars available
    Hardens old im not counting him
    Also they get paid 40- 55 mil now

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The real issue is that the NBA has done a good job of incentivizing stars stay on their current teams so its not as likely they even hit UFA. It's more likely they sign a long term deal, play on their team, then demand a trade than it is they hit UFA.

When is the last time a star player hit UFA in their prime? I guess Durant to the Nets, that feels forever ago now lol.

But yeah, with how the cap and contracts work its better for the player to re-sign with their team and its better for the team because even if they do request a trade they can at least get something for them.

That's why I've always been against this "We don't want to waste our cap!" mentality people have. The days of big name stars in their prime hitting UFA is uncommon, it's going to happen like every 3-4 seasons now. Most stars are going to change teams through trade.

Tuckmose likes this.
  15. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Everyone's one car crash away from retirement, makes total sense to secure the bag early then just demand out when you want to move.

jch1911 and JayGoogle like this.
  16. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

KPJ/JC/TyTy/Amen

Just makes sense with all that talent

roslolian, xtruroyaltyx and Corrosion like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think you are right, particularly on Reaves ...LAL would match literally any offer made so if you want him you have to give them something in return - what does it take to get them to give him up?

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Besides Harden who are they going to add that significantly changes the expectations for this team next year?

Van Fleet is maybe the second biggest name available at pg and he’s around like the 20th best pg in the league?

The Rockets tanked to get all these young players, then they cleared the vets out for the most part so they could get playing experience. Doesn’t make sense to now bring in a bunch of vets who aren’t serving the purpose of making the young core better.

#138 xtruroyaltyx, Jun 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
    Little Bit likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah, they have done a good job of incentivizing stars to resign with their original team (team with bird rights) ..... but what they really need to fix is these stars demanding to be traded after that.

It's not good for the league when players dictate where they play outside of free agency.

Building super teams or all the stars playing in a few select desirable cities ..... while the rest of the league functions as a farm system.

jch1911 and withmustard like this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Adding FVV immediately improves your guard rotation dramatically. Josh Christopher is a fringe NBA player who didn't show improvement last year. I don't see much upside for Nix or TyTy either. Yeah we can run them out there again and see what they got but I wouldn't expect much.

I'm not counting on Cam and Amen to play major minutes this season either.

100% agree that he isn't a top 10 PG but he would be a perfect fit for what Udoka is building here. Plus KPJ isn't looking like a long term option unless something clicks with him this offseason.

Adding Lopez doesn't really make a ton of sense in my eyes because the minutes and fit don't seem to be there.