1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Worries…Rockets Will Take Whitmore

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, May 18, 2023.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Slow shot vs. no shot…..what’s worse?

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

So like 2 people who currently work for the Rockets front office (director of video scouting and assistant GM) basically have the same/similar background as Vecenie. And you have guys like Hollinger and Mike Schmitz. Vecenie IIRC has also done consulting for teams (and Spinella is a coach...literally coaching against guys like Whitmore).

I'm not saying they're infallible or absolutely right on everything...but I'd probably say they're better than most of us. And if your analysis is actually any good...then you can get a job no matter what because that's why these big outlets have editors and other folks to help out.

But sure, I get your point.

harold bingo and Yung-T like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I wish Whitmore was 6'9. Sigh.

BaselineFade likes this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Also these journalists are talking to scouts and front offices and hearing their takes all the time. At least the good ones. (And Vecenie is pretty good in my view.) The primary job of a journalist isn't writing, it's seeking out and delivering information.

Easy, Yung-T and RC Cola like this.
  5. shinjirod

shinjirod Member

Re: DeanOnDraft.

He has been somewhat decent in his big board going back to 2016, ranking some guys taken later higher than most, but...

When he hates someone, he really, REALLY, piles on them. Almost every draft there's one or two guys he hates that either become decent players or become borderline stars. Some of them include:

FVV (Old senior)
    Pascal Siakam (Unathletic, barely worth a 2nd rounder as a try)
    Malcolm Brogdon (Very old and unathletic)
    Terry Rozier (Lacks PG vision and shot)
    Devin Booker (Didn't hate, but thought he was #25 in his draft, too many questions)
    Zach Lavine (90% he doesn't have the skill to make you look silly for picking him up, ranked 35)
    Jordan Clarkson (ranked 52, has to improve to be "better than Ausrtin Rivers")
    Kyle Kuzma (36, no write up)
    Jalen Brunson (64, "upside badly limited")
    Tyrese Maxey (22, doesn't seem to have any interesting upside)
    Montrezl, Cedi Osman and others from 2015 he thought should basically go undrafted

The one time he hated someone as much as the tweens, the prospect had a new, low tier for himself. The "Trash Can" tier was created exclusively for Rui Hachimura, who was old, unskilled, not even a top 5 player in his team, and had no upside.

Some players he was higher on than most:
    Luka (this was very obvious to me)
    Jokic (ranked 16, but was very intrigued, thought he really could become the best big passer of all time)
    Evan Mobley (but ranked Jalen Green waaaaay back)

Other big misses:
    Dragan Bender (#3)
    Lonzo (#1, common at the time)
    Tatum (#4 after Isaac, Fultz)
    Wendell Carter and Zhaire Smith (4-5, over Shai, Porter, Trae, Sexton)

EDIT: Point being, for clarity, more times than not, when he really dislikes a player for a reason, it usually turns out to be a solid nba rotation player at least.

OremLK, RC Cola and Yung-T like this.
  6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I watched the breakdowns of Amen and Cam. Both seem like very great prospects in their own respect. Neither are similar in build, play type, or pedigree so it’s going to be hard to compare apples to apples.

Nonetheless with everything accounted for I would give a slight edge to Cam only because he’s already got some sort of offensive skill set outside of just relying on pure athleticism against lower competition.

I can see why people would compare him to a guy like PG but I would view him more as a Ron Artest, minus the defensive qualities. That’s not to say he doesn’t have it in him, after all he did average 1.4 steals per game in his lone college season. Which probably speaks more to emphasize his terrific hands over just his overall one-on-one defense, that needs loads of work just like most these potential draftees.

If you’re adamant about using the comparison to PG just remember that he didn’t average more than 2 APG until his sophomore season at Fresno State and still hasn’t average more than 5 per game in his entire 13 year NBA career.

I do like Amen’s raw athleticism and playmaking but the fact that his shot is such a clunker on top of having such a strange release, really reminds me of Ben Simmons. Which may not be his ceiling but I’d for sure want a bit more out of my top 4 overall pick.

I haven’t really seen much tape of Anthony Black but he is intriguing. We’ll see how this all shakes out tomorrow night.

#526 FLASH21, Jun 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Today I learned that Adam Spinella, currently head coach at a national HS level and former D3 college assistant coach, is just a writer with zero experience.

Like I said, you guys should start actually knowing about the topics you engage in instead of continuing with the bad trolling.

BMoney likes this.
  8. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Does he have a good track record? He sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but maybe that's just because he gets so detailed. Vecenie, Duncan, Dean, Jones, et al. They're all so confident in their opinions. I think I trust Dean mostly because he's a college guy and has a track record. But maybe Vecenie does too? Annoyingly, Voulgaris doesn't do college ball so he's just talking futbol today.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

omg expert confirmed! Adam Spinella has spoken
    [​IMG]

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Imo his track record is pretty good, him and Spinella were one of the very few who mentioned the ball handling issues and occasional defensive lapses Jabari had in college, saying he could struggle more coming into the league than many anticipate.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sometimes it's better to just admit that you are waffling, instead of trying to desperately continue the arrogant shtick despite ppl being able to see your post history.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

like i said i couldn't give two shitts what you think. yet you came back for some attention. you're nobody to me

you won't change a damn thing around here. yeah my post history has been the same from day 1. you don't like it? stop quoting and following me. it's that simple.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It's a public message board. If you don't want people calling out your terrible posts or wrong info, then maybe become a better poster instead of constantly sh**posting bad takes that you can't back up.
    Or feel free to put me on ignore and don't respond.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was talking about Sam Vecenie. I didn't say anything about Spinella.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean since you want to talk about posts. it's ironic coming from a random acting like they're better with a shitty ass ratio lol

post better advice coming from you? hilarious.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Mentioning your like ratio doesn't change that you said verifiably wrong stuff here and can't admit it, but apparently you are from the generation of Reddit and Twitter where the amount of karma&likes validates you.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

of course it doesn't cause your ratio stinks so it doesn't apply. what's true is you post a ton but nobody gives af what you think with your 6k likes. you're the one trying to validate yourself not me. I wasn't the one trying to be self proclaimed the CF's police like a loser you are trying to be. but Since you brought it up, I'll tell it like it is

you're starving for attention thats why you keep coming back, acting like you're somebody but in reality aren't.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Talking absolute rubbish that was wrong and now changing the subject to like ratio instead, are you 16?

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

google it. but don't arrest me CF's police officer