1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Miller....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Feb 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Probably a cocaine-induced brain fog.

2. invocux

invocux Member

I've read that Amen had a terrific workout so we are definitely getting Miller or Whitmore.

roslolian, J Sizzle and mikenm268 like this.
  3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yeah that report came from Amen’s agent.

invocux likes this.
  4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

You hear that the ROCKETS loves Amen, Scoot, Cam and Anthony Black. There is nothing that the Rockets would draft Brandon or asked Brandon to workout for them. They have begged Scoot and he said no…we are not picking Brandon and now I think Portland will draft Amen because of the upside potential

5. fattz

fattz Member

Sengun didn’t work out for us either.

if Miller is there we should take him work out or not.

6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think the top teams in the draft will avoid him because of the murder case and the only elite skill he has is shooting.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Did Jabari work out for us?

roslolian likes this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

no

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4614044/2023/06/20/nba-draft-confidential-2023-brandon-miller-forwards/

Brandon Miller

Alabama’s Brandon Miller is the top wing prospect in the draft. The 6-foot-9 freshman could go second to Charlotte (or whoever is picking there if the Hornets trade the pick), and if he doesn’t, he’ll go third to Portland (ditto). The consensus All-American, NABC Freshman of the Year, SEC Tournament MVP and Naismith Award semifinalist is a three-level threat. He lead the conference in 3-point attempts and makes, was second in the SEC in 3-point percentage (.384) and tied for eighth nationally in Win Shares (7.0), per Sports-Reference.com. He had a disappointing NCAA Tournament for the Crimson Tide, making just 8 of 41 from the floor in three games, but most NBA personnel think that was just a blip. The 20-year-old is a front-of-the-franchise kind of talent. He’s been compared with Paul George, a lineage from which Miller has not shied away.

NBA teams also have done their due diligence on Miller’s presence at a shooting in Tuscaloosa, Ala., near campus in January, where 23-year-old Jamea Jonae Harris died. Police have charged Miller’s ex-teammate Darius Miles and another man, Michael Davis, with capital murder in Harris’ death. Davis was charged with being the shooter. He and Miles claimed in court they were acting in self-defense after being fired upon.

Despite Miller bringing the gun allegedly used in the shooting to the scene after Miles texted him and asked him to come (after Miller had dropped Miles off earlier at a club), Miller’s attorney said that the gun, which belonged to Miles, was hidden underneath clothing in the car, and that Miller never handled it.

Prosecutors have not charged Miller, and while the university’s athletic department and coach Nate Oats were criticized for allowing Miller to continue playing in the aftermath of the shooting, it must be repeated: Miller is not and never was accused of any wrongdoing.

Multiple teams at the Chicago draft combine in May and in predraft interviews have asked him about the incident, and those reached by The Athletic said they were satisfied with Miller’s explanation.

Western Conference executive No. 1: If you’re just talking talent, he’s a 6-9 guard. He’s a wing player. He’s got all the talent in the world. You can line up his freshman season with (Jayson) Tatum and all those guys. You can line it up just in terms of production and what he did. I know they lost in the tournament because of injury or whatever the cause was. But he’s a got high-level-put-the-ball-in-his-hands type of guy. And showed the ability to show up in tough moments with an investigation occurring. And (he had) the mental capacity to either just not be aware, block it out and show up and that was impressive. His concerns are all going to be, is he built for what the talent says he could do? Do you need to make sure you have somebody else to set the foundation for your franchise, and he’s your talent? But you’ve got somebody who drives what the environment’s going to be.

Miller wasn’t chucking shots; (Nate) Oats doesn’t allow them to do that, but Miller made plays. He wasn’t selfish or wouldn’t make the right play, the right pass. I think he plays well with others. As the season went on, he got better defensively, got better at taking contact and got better at finishing. The questionable things at the beginning of the season, he got better at. It shows he had to be taking some coaching. The basketball part is all there. … I know there were teams that say, or said, that they thought he could have addressed (the incident) differently or better. I think there’s a little bit of blindness walking into that.

Eastern Conference executive No. 1: All the intel we’ve got is he just happened to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time. He was the designated driver. From what we heard, he didn’t know the gun was in the car. If that’s the case, I have no qualms. He’s a legit number two, number three pick.

I wish he had a little more dog in him and a little more aggressiveness in his game. He’s not very strong, not very physical. He can get that by working on his body. I have no problem taking this kid two or three. He was the guy. (Noah) Clowney was a spot-up shooter, shot blocker, ran the court well. It was mainly (Jahvon) Quinerly and (Mark) Sears; those were the guys. The guards did a lot of shooting, and if they didn’t get the shot off, it was mainly Miller. He’s not selfish at all, maybe a little selfless. If he could be a little more aggressive, he’s going to be a lot better. (Jayson) Tatum had that Alpha, number one dog mentality, even when he was in high school. And he had that when he came into the league. Miller doesn’t have that (aggressiveness) like Tatum had it; he doesn’t have it like Durant had it.

College head coach No. 1 (his team competed against Alabama): Brandon is doing everything; his scoring grid is everywhere on the court. It’s (at the) rim, he can get his own shot, he can shoot over guys, he can post. He can facilitate and is a hell of a passer. He’s a guy that can be a premier All-Star, a playmaking All-Star who’s good at decision-making. He can find someone in the opposite corner, and that person never has to reach outside (their) shooting pocket. Miller can slot pass, throw lobs and is a decent defender — not a great defender. But offensively, he’s in the 99th percentile in all of college. His best basketball is ahead of him. He doesn’t even have the strength I think he’ll gain. But we know he can handle stress because of what was going on around him, and the speculation and everything else, and he was still going out there performing. …

He’s better than Paul George and that’s a strong statement, but I’m serious. I mean, his midrange, 3s. People are going to start talking about Kevin Durant. He’s not Durant, but he’s better than George. …

(Scoot) Henderson has been training for the moment because he bypassed his college career and just concentrated on basketball. This dude would have been the same, but their body type is different. Miller will gain a little weight and muscle a little bit later. Scoot, it’s scary how he looks. I don’t know how long Scoot’s career will last but I do know Miller’s upside is a lot more because he has room to get better. … no one has seen Brandon play at his very best. He still has room to grow.

Bradley Beal was on the sideline coaching those dudes in AAU (for his Bradley Beal Elite program) when Nick Smith was getting all the clout and Miller wasn’t. And (Beal) was telling everybody that Miller was going to be the one. And Beal was correct — that Miller was going to be the better college player. So it’s scary what he does. He can shoot off-balance shots, pass and facilitate. Scoot may be (NBA) Rookie of the Year because I don’t see Victor (Wembanyama) playing every game this season. They’re going to start him off slow. … but long term there’s no doubt in my mind, (Miller) is special.

clos4life likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Weeks later the top 3 still never changes

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

You mean like Steph's only elite skill is shooting? Murder case has 0 bearing at this point, it's old news.

Rockets don't need to make any decisions they will get either Amen or Miller whoever drops to them.

groovemachine likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Hornets always screw up the pick. Scoot to the Rockets. Blazers can slide back one and take Amen.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

#4+Tate and the 2024 FRP to move to 3? Tate is a player that can help them now.

Then KMJ+#20 to Dallas for Bullock and #10.

#2 Henderson
    #10 Walker

Sengun/Walker
    Smith/Eason
    Brooks/Bullock
    Green/KPJ
    Henderson/Vet PG/Ty

Shark44 and RasaqBoi like this.
  16. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

idc who says what... as we saw again last year - disinformation is the name of the game...

Scoot is goin #2 - and i aint believin nothin else til i see it happen.

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If Charlotte takes miller I will be shocked

this for gamblers man .

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

personally...
    i think if we do #20 + asett(s) to Dallas for #10...
    i think #4 + #10 + maybe another minor asset should get us to #2...
    ...esp given that #2 and #3 dont necessarily want a pg...

...but that aint what they're gonna tell ya... ;)

20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Seth Greenberg is a very RESPECTABLE COMMENTATOR and ANALYST for ESPN, and he hardly give compliments like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.