1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens ejected!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Faos, Aug 2, 2004.

1. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Its a nonevent to me too after reading that. Kinda silly, really. The Ump was probably a BoSox fan.

2. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

is that last article is true.. than yeah roger isnt' an idiot or crazy..

roger says he wasn't even asked to leave?

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

absolutely. again, it's my business partner's kid i was there watching. i'm really a stratford guy at heart! sorry! :p

4. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Just outa curiosity if you're still reading this thread, which kid? A Stratford fan eh? BOO!

5. MadMax

i'm still reading this thread...but i'm not real comfortable with throwing out personal names like that. sorry.

yeah..i went to stratford.

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

That's pretty sad that it made this much news if that is really what happened.

I've had worse things happen to me as a football official from grandma's in the stands than that. The ump is defnitely a BoSox fan.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

At least Memorial knows how to build their school without it falling over. :D

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

apparently Clemens was extremely upset after the game tonight. He says the situation was one big lie from whoever wrote the story in the media.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bb/2718471

Clemens says he deserves apology

Pitcher adamant in saying alleged spitting incident did not happen as was reported

By MOISEKAPENDA BOWER
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Astros pitcher Roger Clemens wants an apology.

After seeing his name sullied following an incident at a youth league baseball tournament where he allegedly spit a sunflower seed at an umpire to protest a questionable call, Clemens took the media to task after the Astros' 3-2 victory over Atlanta on Tuesday night.

According to Associated Press reports, Clemens was ejected after spitting a sunflower seed at the pant leg of an umpire who made a questionable call against his son, Kacy, during a Triple Crown Sports tournament game at Craig, Colo., on Saturday.

The umpire, whose name was not released, was said to have confronted Clemens after the alleged incident, at which time Clemens was asked to leave the viewing area.

It was reported Clemens, who started against the Braves on Tuesday night, watched the rest of the game from his car.

According to Clemens, what was alleged to have happened could not have been further from the truth.

"There is no version," Clemens said. "As far as the story, I guess I spit one over a fence and 20 yards onto a field.

"I've already received about two apologies and a third one is coming. I'll accept those apologies, but they're going to have to apologize to my family, too. When a guy just blatantly lies about a situation ... I guess it's more scary."

Clemens said he didn't even witness the call in question, one in which Kacy Clemens, who plays for the 10-and-under Katy Cowboys, was called out attempting to steal second base despite an admission from a Bakersfield, Calif., player who said he failed to make the tag.

Clemens said he was standing behind a fence, well away from the action, where he videotaped his son's base hit and then resumed signing autographs, something he had been doing for most of the afternoon and for the balance of the weekend.

He retreated to his car, per his routine, for a respite from the autograph-seekers.

"They did not ask me to leave," Clemens said, which conflicts with the account of field supervisor Jim Carpenter, who told the AP he supported the decision to eject Clemens. "I did not even know I was supposedly thrown out. I didn't see the play my son happened to be involved in. I videoed (taped) his at-bat and when he got a hit and got on first, I put the video camera up and started dealing with the public like I always do."

Clemens said he was upset no one contacted him or his agent Randy Hendricks to get his version of what happened. Instead, he said, the national media ran with an unsubstantiated story.

Some local media outlets picked up the story, and Clemens said what angered him was the same group of reporters who heralded his return home after he came out of retirement and signed with the Astros on Jan. 12 were quick, in his opinion, to assume the story was correct as reported.

"I'm disappointed in a lot of media because I was only a phone call away, and my agent said anybody could have called up on the story," Clemens said. "It was reckless the guy that ran the story because I was at the ballpark for at least an hour (after the game ended) signing autographs, and if he had any questions he could have come over and asked me.

"It was reckless by some of the national media that I was able to see comments like I was toe to toe, nose to nose arguing (with the umpire).

"And it's the same thing here that went on in my hometown. I'm really disappointed because once you guys set these cameras and those pens down, I would think that you would know me a little better than that."

mk.bower@chron.com

10. MadMax

dude, you're from Katy..you can't run Memorial smack!!! :)

greatest Memorial H.S. story of all time. when they consolidated Memorial and Spring Branch H.S. they did a story about it on the news. they interviewed some white kid as he was walking out to his car....his comment was...and i kid you not..."man, i don't like it. their cars make our parking lot look like trash."

classic.

11. codell

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Headline writers need to do a better job. Here is the headline from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune pickup of the AP story in which Clemens denies the allegations:

Roger Clemens seething over ejection from kids' ballgame

It is clear from the story that he was seething due to the supposedly false allegations.

13. codell

Bobrek,

Thats a pretty irresponsible headline. But, just like headlines on Jay Leno, sometimes a paper's lack of space can make a headline come across that way (misleading).

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I agree, but in this case the same amount of space could be used to say:

Clemens seething over ejection allegation

Incidentally, I sent an email to the Star Tribune asking for a response. I'll post it if I get it.

15. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I believe Roger on this.. I shoudln't have jumped on him so quickly...

but I thought the AP was pretty reliable.. and would have had him denying it.. if it was false..

Surprised that the AP runs stories without even getting the athletes version in it.. when his side wasn't told.. I assumed thats because he couldn't deny it..

16. codell

I agree.

Sounds like they have an editor who isn't doing their job very well.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Or one whose job is to sell papers.

:)

Come on guys, this happens all the time....

No surprise.

DD

18. codell

You don't have to create misleading headlines to sell papers.