1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Golf

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Apps, Jun 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Apps

Apps Member

Do you like golf? Do you play golf? Do you watch golf? How diverse is it on the courses you play (racially)? Any miscellaneous tips about the game?

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

My favorite saying about golf:

:)

4. Apps

Apps Member

I was going to ask if it was still a majorly white man's sport, but decided to take a more delicate approach.

5. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I love playing golf. Unfortunately, I'm having some problems with my back and haven't been able to play for months.

As far as "diversity" goes, I play(ed) on mostly municipal/public courses in the Austin area and I would consider those courses to be a pretty good reflection of the "diversity" of the region on a whole. One exception: the Hispanic population, while represented on the course, is not representative of the greater regional "diversity." (Is that...um..."delicate" enough?)

Screw it...
    Mostly white folks with a dash of darker-skinned humans and Asians. Women, while not technically a "race," make up a fair share of the players. A couple of Mexicans. There. Happy now? ;)

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I love to play golf...but can't really afford to play it and don't really watch it..

As far as diversity on the course..what does it matter? You don't usually interact much with anyone else on the course. If you enjoy Golf..play it no matter who is on the course. Noone should look at you weird if your not white. and if they do...screw'em

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't like getting sunburned or getting allergies from the grass. the country clubs usually have nice mimosas and those little lobster sandwiches though

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Our annual golf thread!

Tip #1 - It's not cooler or cheaper to play in early morning. Golf courses water at night and that humidity rises when the sun hits the grass. Between 10 and 2 is after it dries some and when the winds start up. But in Houston, in the Summer, playing at sunset is cooler and twilight fees make it a lot more affordable. Figure your tee time to about 4 hours before the listed Sunset (about 4 PM). Some courses even have a cheaper 'super twilight' rate that late.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I’ve managed to avoid it all the time but it looks like I finally need to learn. What’s the fastest way to learn and be respectable on the course?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was invited to a club with a $100k buy in, so I said I'm fine not knowing how to golf.

11. Xerobull

Im not doing that ****. There’s a golf club 1/4 mile from my house that doesn’t require me to wear an ascot and captains hat, although I will be wearing those items.

boomboom and Ubiquitin like this.
  12. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I still play Tiger Wood 2007 on my Wii.

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Grab the Callaway Edge set at Costco. Decent clubs for the price. Take a lesson at a public course, find a range, and start going to the course whenever you can. Do not keep score for a very long time.

ROCKSS and Xerobull like this.
  14. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Happy Gilmore style is the way to go. You'll outdrive everyone on the course.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

get a helicopter to get to a course as fast as you can to practice . . . the dudes wearing ascots will respect you plenty

Xerobull and Ubiquitin like this.
  16. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I love to play, I suck at it but its more about being outside with my friends, having a few beers and enjoying the course. I love to watch golf also, I used to only watch if Tiger played but now I like to watch the majors on Sat or Sunday

Xerobull likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dude golf is a heartbreak . . . take up chess

Xerobull likes this.
  18. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I have no idea, because I still suck! Just out of curiosity, why do you feel like you need to learn now?

I never thought I would be interested in playing golf, but my father-in-law is super into it. I respect him and enjoy his company, so I started playing with him and found I enjoy it. But, I still suck. I just don't care. :p Spending 4 hours outside with people I like, sharing an experience together, that's what it's about for me.

I like to watch on TV sometimes, mostly because my grandfather and uncle did and I get nostalgic about them. But now that I play too, i can really appreciate how amazing pro golfers are! The shots they make with consistency are incredible. But, the game can beat them up too, so that reinforces my "don't care" vibe. It takes more time and perseverance than I have to get good.

Dubious, good tip on tee time. On second thought... no, never mind. Everyone, please keep competing for those crack-of-dawn tee times! That, I'll never do.

boomboom likes this.
  19. Xerobull

Good feedback and stories. My FiL was big into it too but sadly he’s got Alzheimer’s now so that’s out.

I’ve always been interested but I know how obsessive I get so I’ve avoided it. But recently I’ve made business contacts who always drop the ‘let’s play golf soon’ line so if figure it’s time. It’s something I can do with my wife, too.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm taking some lessons. Bought a Skytrak and a net. Hopefully I will eventually get to a point where it's not an utter embarrassment to be on the golf course.

Xerobull likes this.