1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets want to trade 4th pick for win now vet might be interested in Zion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 13, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What a waste of a 1st Overall Pick....just wowzer.

Jontro and wolstein like this.
  2. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I clearly don‘t know much about the Zion situation. To me it seems like the majority of it are mental problems - but maybe I am underselling hin injury problems. For his mental problems, I would tend to trust Ime. If Ime believes, he can „fix“ him, I‘d be fine with taking the gamble. But I also would have been fine with taking the gamble on Ben Simmons when he was still on the 76ers, so what do I know?

The thing is: he has MVP potential and he has shown MVP potential on the floor. Anyone we could take with the 4th pick hasn‘t. We can use the 4th pick and swing for the fences with Amen - who has several red flags like his shooting and the competition (and I‘d maybe even include his handles for a PG). Or we could go a safer route with a guy like Hendricks, Whitmore or Black, who all seem to have a much lower ceiling. None of these three guys will be franchise altering, and Amen has a way bigger chance to bust than to becoming a star.

I would still like to either trade up for Scoot (if it doesn‘t cost too much) - I am fine with taking Amen and I am fine with trading down for one of the guys I mentioned. But I‘d be really intrigued with Zion - scared as hell as well, but also intrigued. If we get a motivated, locked in Zion that can stay healthy, that would transform this team. But those ifs may be too much…

BaselineFade and cbass like this.
  3. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

#BeWell

BamBam and roslolian like this.
  4. NewAge

NewAge Member

I’m reading these Zion stories, and how is he a better value than Ben Simmons at this point? Would you trade #4 for Simmons?
    Of all these high-profile screw-ups Ja is the only one I would trade for.

5. ISO

ISO Member

This is the trade that’s being discussed. Rockets #4 pick and #20 pick for Ingram, Valancunius and a future second round pick. The Pelicans want to move up in the draft to get Scoot.

evo8lover likes this.
  6. cbass

cbass Member

Zion is a much better basketball player than Simmons. It’s not particularly close.

invocux likes this.
  7. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

Where are you hearing this from? I would do that In a heart beat

cbass and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. mightybosstone

Again, anyone in love with Zion, please look at the contract. 5 years, $194 million. Dude has played 114 career games in four seasons. Just stop.

If you swing and miss on the No. 4 pick, you just missed on a draft pick. If you trade for Zion and he plays as little as he's played in his career, he'll cripple the franchise and set it back a decade. The risks are not comparable.

9. mightybosstone

I'd rather have Simmons only because the league knows he's a negative asset now and Brooklyn would have to add assets to dump him on someone. If you could get quality picks or players of value to take on Simmons' contract, that's a deal I'd consider, even if there are other ways I'd rather spend that cap.

He eats some cap room, but then he's gone in two years, so it allows you to kick the can down the road. And if he doesn't play, you give him the John Wall treatment. But if they traded the No. 4 pick for him, I might have to take a break from the Rockets for a while, because that might be the worst trade in Rockets history.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Omg I would so take that. Floor spacingand passing with BI and Valancunius finally gives us height

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

DD

That's true but Zion is not the one. He's lazy, if money doesn't motivate him to get in shape, nothing will.

Yes, his contract is guaranteed but he's still young, he can get another max contract. Ironically, I was in New Orleans recently and the bartender and I were discussing him and he said, he see him all the time in their restaurant, he cant not say no.....AND THE FOOD HERE IS JUST AS GOOD!

He'll do better in a city where the food is horrible, like San Antonio, Utah or Sac

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I thought San Antonio has good food, not as diverse as Houston cuisine but still good Tex Mex. Only been there a few times so I don't recall. Zion needs a team in the UK. He'll really lose weight over there.

ArtV likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Moving up to 4 will not be enough to get Scoot. It would be a wildly unhinged thing to bank on and Im not sure NO would part with Ingram to begin with he makes that team go. Humoring the idea does this mean that Valanciunas comes off the bench? Ingram obviously starts over KMJ/Tate which makes one or both expendable. I would make the trade in a heartbeat, but cant find the logic in it for NO if Scoot Henderson is the prize they seek. They need to get up to 2 and this type of deal might be enough to do that.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Wouldn't Valanciunas start?
    We lack a starting C, seems obvious that he would slot in

Not sure I buy the rumour though

roslolian and Verbal Christ like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

BMoney likes this.
  16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

To be fair, location is a factor. I love to visit New Orleans from time to time, but living there would be another thing.

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

CP3 - Green - Zion - Smith - Sengun with Tari as a 6th man is a pretty nice lineup tbh.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Who is doing the discussing? That would be a dream trade for the Rockets and #4 will probably not net Scoot.

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

So if Zion plays 114 games over the next 5 years.....

That's about 1.7M per game.

Seems like a good deal (no)

mightybosstone likes this.
  20. mightybosstone

Yeah, I could see Paul and Zion playing 82 games next season... combined.

roslolian, ApacheWarrior and Bo6 like this.