1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That's a POWERFUL opponent.

conquistador#11 and macho GRANDE like this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Arian Foster is one of my all-time favorite running backs: lethal combination of speed, power, vision and grace.... just an incredibly fun back to watch play.

Problem is.... He was only here seven years, two of which were injury-riddled and one was his mostly non-existent rookie season. As great as he was those other four seasons.... I'm not sure his has the carries to put him in the RoH.

Reminds me of Mike Scott: at his peak, absolutely dominant and it's easy to fall in love with those seasons because there truly weren't many pitchers enjoying his level of success. But the overall body of work, IMO, is not worthy of a retired number. But I totally get why some would disagree.

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. conquistador#11

That's a lot straight cash homie for someone not named Quinnen Williams. With that extension you could also create some space for another signing perhaps.

6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Couldn’t agree more. He was easily my favorite Texan when he was here. But the total body of work probably isn’t enough.

ROCKSS and Hey Now! like this.
  7. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We’re talking about the Texans ROH, not the NFL HOF.

Arian is 100% worthy, are you ****ing kidding me? He’s a RB, not a WR.

CVcrew likes this.
  8. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Health is the only thing that could keep him out. His peak was as high as you could hope for. God, he was so good.

9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Aaron should most definitely be in the ROH. He was a top 5 Running Back in the NFL for a 5yr period.

Going from a UDFA to an All - Pro should put him there alone.

Scarface281 and crose like this.
  10. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

Foster gave us one of my favorite quotes of all time, “i don’t know you, bro” lol

11. conquistador#11

If you placed Arian Foster inside a Delorean or a time travelling hot tub and he ended up in Kubiak's 90s offense, Foster is having the same impact as Terrell Davis. Foster was that great. Opportunities missed is what separates Foster and Davis.

macho GRANDE and crose like this.
  12. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Who’s Aaron?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

You don't want to dilute the RoH, though. As good as Arian was - and he was truly great - his prime was relatively short and, through no fault of his own, it didn't lead to anything special. Terrell Davis is a great comp, and I think he illustrates why Arian falls just short: they both had remarkable - but short - peaks. But Davis totaled an incredible 1,049 yards in seven postseason games that were the driving force behind two championships.

I know Arian nearly beat the Ravens by himself in '11 - but the Texans' should set a higher standard, IMO, and not settle for best player on a team that lost in the divisional playoffs. That, to me - if not a loser mentality, is certainly a settle mentality. It's why the Astros have 657 retired numbers and, like, 4,978 inductees into a 4-year old team HoF. They've set the bar *incredibly* low. String together 2-3 good/great seasons and you're in!

The Astros should have two retired numbers: 5 & 7. I will hear arguments for 34 but my rebuttal is that Ryan belongs to two other franchises equally. But, I get it. Berkman, Cruz, Dierker, Oswalt & Wynn should be, with Bags, Biggio and Ryan, the only HoF inductees. When the Astros start hanging #27 & #44, and inducting Springer and Correa and Verlander... it's going to make all their other retired numbers and inductees pale. I mean, the Astros started their team HoF in 2019. They have 26 people in it. The Cowboys - one of the best, most successful franchises in modern sports history - have 22 people in their RoH. The Astros are drunk, is what I'm trying to say.

The Texans need to set the precedent now that the standard will be very high. It starts with #99 - he is the best player and will be in the HoF. Every other number after that - IMO - should come under very strict review (yes, including #80).

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

You don't induct/honor players for hypotheticals, though. And he played in Kubiak's offense... I'm not even sure what you mean?

15. conquistador#11

2010-2012 were great seasons that carried an offense, 600 receiving yards. He opened up everything for Schaubie.
    4 pro-bowls and 1 all pro in the 4 years he was healthy. Dre, had 2 all pros in 10 healthy seasons (not including Colts).

I used Terrell because Terrell could not play in the league more than 4 seasons healthy. He had the luxury of being on a superbowl team with a stout defense. Foster's seasons would have had the same result. You saw it with your own eyes against the Baltimore Ravens. One man show.

Most importantly like someone else said, it's the ring of honor not Canton.
    Duane Brown should eventually go into it.
    Arian
    Owen
    Schaubie

crose likes this.
  16. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

I agreed with everything you said up until #80 should have been up for debate. Andre was as much a slam dunk as any future Texan will be. Widely regarded as, at worst, the 2nd best wr in football during his prime and a multiple all-pro at his position. Face of the franchise. Only thing JJ had over him was his penchant for being an attention "seeker".

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

While I agree with you that AJ is a slam dunk ROH guy and should be a HOFer.
    JJ is one of the best defensive players of all time and hands down the best Texan ever, no need to denigrate him to make your point.

macho GRANDE and houstonstime like this.
  18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Denigration to make a point is the Clutchfans way.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You’re right, to be fair the only player I’ve ever said anything bad about is Stroud.
    I’m trying not to, and enjoying some of his videos.
    Still don’t like his entourage or schools history

houstonstime likes this.
  20. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

I don't think i denigrated JJ in any way. JJ likes him some shine. No shame in that.

cmoak1982 likes this.