1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anthony Black- Point guard option at #5, or # 6?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by BMoney, May 11, 2023.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This is a guy to think about, in my opinion.

The Athletic Scouting Report

Black is another eye-of-the-beholder type of player for teams. Some see him as a candidate to go as high as No. 5 because his feel for the game is incredible. He’s maybe the smartest, most reactive player in the class; a genuine point guard who makes rapid decisions on the fly to keep the offense in flow. He’s also a very tough, switchable defender.

The Ringer Scouting Report

• Selfless playmaker who can whip the ball upcourt in transition and sees plays develop early in the half court. Much like Lonzo Ball, he can serve as a connector. He tends to make the smart play, creating easy shots for teammates, often using touch passes or swing passes to open shooters. These natural skills are enhanced by his height, opening holes that smaller guards can’t find.

• Already looks like an advanced pick-and-roll playmaker. He snakes from side to side and has the feel to keep defenders on his back.
    • Versatile on-ball defender who keeps his arms up, fights over screens, and has the quickness to slide with guards and the size to defend wings.

• Defensive playmaker who loves to stunt or dig from an off-ball position to poke the ball away from driving opponents. When he gets his hands on it, it’s an instant defense-to-offense moment. He generally finds himself in the perfect position to help thanks to his excellent awareness.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I really like Black and I think if he was even an average shooter I'd have him in my top 5. But right now I have him in that nebulous 6-11 range or so. He needs to learn to shoot, he doesn't have all-world athleticism to fall back on like Amen Thompson. NBA-caliber defenders will not bite if they aren't worried he'll hit a three.

That said, I think he'll find a way to stay in the NBA just with his defense, effort, and IQ. It just might be as a bench player if the shot doesn't come around.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ant in Black.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  4. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Yeah he's a top 5 Rockets target for me.

For Arkansas:
    1st in AST
    2nd in FTAs
    3rd in REB
    Over 50% on 2P%

The FTA numbers are nice. Didn't realize he was putting that much pressure on the rim.

Kind of fits the same way Amen Thompson theoretically would, except he's more reliant on size and strength as opposed to quickness. Might struggle early on since he won't have as much of a strength advantage like he did in the NCAA, but Josh Giddey moves similarly and didn't have too difficult of a transition.

Reminds me of Josh Giddey, Kyle Anderson, and Draymond Green.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Giddey is an interesting comp. I think that fits pretty well. Giddey did struggle a lot with scoring efficiency his rookie season, while still providing value in other ways. He's already becoming a decent shooter under Chip Engelland's tutelage. I think if you want Black to reach a potential all-star level you'd like to see the same with him. Just hard to be an efficient perimeter scorer without a jump shot unless you're a ridiculous athlete.

They also both have big hair, which is an important factor when making these comps

BMoney and RedIsen like this.
  6. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

What stuck out to me about rookie Giddey was his ability to get into the paint for his floater, even while being a terrible 3 point shooter and defenses daring him to shoot. The floater wasn't amazingly efficient, but it was consistent enough to where you knew it was in his bag.
    Black doesn't have the same floater touch, but he's more willing to force the issue at the rim (Giddey averaged 1.7 FTA as a rook), so its kinda like different paths to the same result.

But yeah being a serviceable shooter definitely makes the game easier. Hopefully Udoka/Stone bring in some real shot docs.

And we all know basketball skill boils down to the hair and the shoes.

OremLK likes this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I loved Black's game since watching some of his clips playing for Duncanville. He's got crazy good BB IQ, and what I want more than almost anything else for any Rockets draft pick is that and a strong work ethic. He's not a freak athlete, but his passing ability and knowing when and how to pass are good. Plus, his defense is solid and that 6'7" size with the ability to handle and pass the ball kind of makes me drool. I was hoping he'd pick up some shooting ability since high school, but I don't think he's an alpha scorer now and he really never was (which could be a good thing for the Rockets). Part of me hopes some of his abilities were hidden due to being on a team with Council, Smith, etc. If he's around at around 5 or 6, I don't mind taking a flyer on him. He and Cason Wallace were both out of the DFW area and were 2 of the best players in the nation coming out of high school.

8. i3artow i3aller

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He feels like a Presti pick to me. Ignore all the hype, ignore the reputation or the team performance and the pre-draft noise. Just look at him: 6'7 true PG with a feel for the game, great court vision, great defensive potential, and a bad shot still.

If he figures the shot out, a la Giddey, watch out.

My friends and I have talked about Scoot as being a 2005 Hall of Famer unfortunately coming into the league 15-20yrs too late. It's just really hard for a guard of that size to Derrick Rose/Russell Westbrook/Kyrie Irving his way to be the lead dog on a championship contender.

Amen has Westbrook athleticism on a 6'7 frame, but the court vision and defense are all to me overrated given his level of competition, and his shot seems FUBAR-level broken. The bust potential with him is high.

I'm now rooting for us to trade to 6 and 11 and to take Black at 6.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Watch Giddey pre-nba tapes and then watch Amens tape. Giddy looks like a slow ben simmons out there. Amen just blows him out of the water with that 1% athleticism

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've learned from watching Giddey that moving methodically doesn't mean you aren't going to do well. I watched Giddey's international games and the dude moved like he was in molasses. I thought "this guy is going to crumble under pressure". Man, was I wrong. By the same token, I don't think just because you're athletic, you're going to be a good player (obviously). I think you really need to compare Giddey's passing with Amen's passing. Even as a 16 or 17 year old, Giddey was getting cut by national teams because he "couldn't hack it". That being said, when Giddy graduated from "kiddie league" to the NBL, he had all kinds of problem getting adjusted to the upgrade in speed, athleticism, etc., but he eventually did. He also said that initially he was getting rushed out of his game and getting nervous, but he adapted.

These are traits to look for in players like these guys. For example, can they pass with both hands. I mean, it's great you can make great passes with one hand, but how about the other hand? Can you make them going in either direction? If your speed is "X", do you pick up your dribble, speed up or turn the ball over consistently when pressure is applied?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Giddey is borderline elite role player right now. People love to overhype him for whatever reason. I have Amen at secondary star if not franchise player. Most of Giddey passes of him were 2 handed over the head or passing up layups for passes. Amen dimes you with one hand either cutter or roller and that takes alot more skill.

People rag on Amens shooting like if it's a deal breaker. Rose and Wesbrook had pathetic 3 point percentages and were MVPs of the league.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’d take him at 4 and not look back

I think he’s the most skilled and smartest player we can find there .

it’s not like a 19 old can’t become a better athlete either

him vs amen vs Walker/ Hendricks vs whitmore

I think any one of those guys could end up being the “best of the rest” and really the best player if things break right .

if miller is there I’m not sure what I would do . Still like black .

I’m not sure we could trade down far and still get him . A team that loves him could swoop us .

Noob Cake likes this.