1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bellinger isn’t 38 years old… he should be entering his prime years. Could have a Josh Hamilton-like resurgence after he got his personal life in order.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah the landscape has changed. Can’t go into the season with no offense at C and an injured LF and expect to cruise thru the division. Then they lost their SP3, had a major injury to their biggest star, lost their SP4, lost their SP5, and had their biggest offseason signing completely deflate. Now they may have lost their 2nd biggest star.

Whoever the primary decision maker was this past offseason gets a D-. At least crane prevented them from giving out any $200M deals that really could’ve crippled them.

I you want to win in today’s MLB you have to have a superteam, 1-26, AND a stacked farm system, AND some payroll flexibility, AND a wartime GM.

prospecthugger likes this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If the Astros were almost guaranteed a playoff spot this year like prior years, I wouldn't be so annoyed with Baker, but he is managing us out of the playoffs right now.

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

At this rate, all the starters can get all the rest they want in October.

J_Hunter_1977 and raining threes like this.
  6. raining threes

Bellinger would be a good add. If Brantley can make it back and Dusty plays Diaz more the offense should be much better. I'm thinking Brantley makes it back in 2-3 weeks. They could use another elite reliever and an Urquidy type SP in trade.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Adam Wexler perhaps stated the obvious today. Tucker was highly peeved about his arbitration hearing this offseason. Now he's moping and playing subpar. Kyle has always been nonchalant, but he's been lackadaisical in the field this season with his hustle and urgency. And his offense is subpar too for his standard

IBTL likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They should also get Urquidy back within this month...

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He should blame his agent. They asked for way too much. I thought the Astros offer was a little low but Tucker wanted way beyond any comps I saw. MLBtraderumors estimate was 5.6 million. Astros were at 5 and Tucker filed for 7.5.

If he wants to mope around it will just cost him more money the next round of arbitration.

AWIN, IBTL, Stephen66 and 2 others like this.
  10. Marteen

Marteen Member

To be fair, Jason Terry or Austin Rivers never said a Rockets player stole an MVP.

But I getcha.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I look forward to his groveling though. I'll accept Bellinger, but I remember reportedly celebrated when the trade deadline passed when Trevor Bauer didn't end up here.

12. raining threes

True, this is why starting pitching, while a need isn't the highest priority on my list. Particularly it Brown doesn't trade Arrighetti.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Kyle's been a shitstain this season, for sure. Confirmed.

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Hoping we get some pieces at the deadline, so we can give thanks to the Lord.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

So, it was sort of a depressing week so in honor of sundays performance art abortion of a lineup from we talked best and worst lineups for their season and best possible lineup of all time for the Astros. I had a major brain fart and forgot Jose Altuve (we are both on the road and doing it from hotels without the typical note and computers and the like. Short episode- about 25 minutes. It’s staggering how bad some of the Astros have been this year and how little high qualify stuff there’s been outside of Yordan.

Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/episode/47rs3bDyYFrrkI9aJJRqJn?si=CXML6N24StiaobmN8mZd0A

apple

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...n-astros-podcast/id1683955456?i=1000616750550

Amazon

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/8...he-lineup?ref=dm_sh_efcfvx73t3Vq9qyQfHJb5WA2q

16. Screaming Fist

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Remember when Astros social media team deleted the tweet that mentioned we were 6-0 with Yainer starting so it wouldn't make Maldy look bad (we were 6-13 with Maldy at that time).

The Beard and sealclubber1016 like this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

For years, going back to before Luhnow even, the Astros never had a significantly bad contract. They had small deals that didn't pan out, but I think we'd have to go back to Carlos Lee to find a deal >$50M that was bad for Houston. Now all of a sudden, they have 2 such deals. Jose Abreu is owed about $50M/2.5yrs, and Lance McCullers Jr. is owed about $60M/3.5yrs. My guess is that they are both about $35M underwater each. Losing $70M in value isn't devastating long term, but over 2024-2025 it will definitely be a hinderance to getting Houston over the top. Houston should still have plenty of in-house talent and financial flexibility to remain one of the top 5 teams in the AL for at least the next 4-5 seasons, but for the first time in over a decade, they have bad contracts on their books.

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

What did it say?

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

What did it say?
    If Lance has surgery and is healthy (or his version of it) going forward they could still get that value out of him but yeah- gun to my head that contract is probably significantly underwater.