1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Guardians

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 9, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I never suggested getting Javier out earlier.

Once Javier had that bad 5th inning and was unable to pitch the 6th, then Dusty needed to be at his best because there was no room for error and the bullpen was short.

4 innings left in a 1 run game and you only have 3 of you 4 leverage relievers available.

Stanek in the 6th was the right move, and it worked out.

Then there are 3 innings left and Maton, Neris, and Pressly available.

Pitching Montero in the 7th and Maton in the 10th was the big mistake IMO

The Beard and Stephen66 like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They had a one run lead in the 9th either way and go to extras if everything else happens as it did.

Montero is still going to get opportunities. So is Maton. If Montero is pitching the 10th, the game is likely over then, no? (according to this logic).

again, 17 games in 17 days... bullpens get used and guys are out. Maybe Dusty of the past does throw Abreu 3 straight days to try and get a win... but things aren't as desperate as fans are making it out to be.

Nook likes this.
  3. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Another game thrown away by Pressly with a lead heading into the bottom of the 9th.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Pressly should have closed that out, but nobody is perfect and he is no more to blame than anyone else.

Cleveland came back over and over.

The Astros needed to stop on their throats but didn't.

They had confidence and momentum and that can't be understated or under estimated.

There is plenty of blame to go around.

I need to see how the Astros and individual players respond today.

Stephen66 likes this.
  5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Is Tuck going to be this bad at Right field all season long? Its baffling.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Your one sentence posts are getting stranger and stranger... "understated or under estimated"?!?

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

They need to practice some fundamentals. That Pena play that should’ve either ended the game or at the very kept them from tying with 2 outs was atrocious. Also why was Tuve so far off the bag in a double play situation?

#687 tehG l i d e, Jun 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    The Beard likes this.
  8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Montero road ERA pitching the 7th inning is sky, sky high. He never fails to gives up runs. Maton should take his place.

Stephen66 likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Being the road team leaves the situation much more grey about how to handle the ghost runner. Getting one run is the priority of course, but it's not the only goal. You want multiple runs because the home team is gonna have the ghost runner also.

The home team going last can always play it safe for just the one run if they are down one or tied.

tehG l i d e and The Beard like this.
  10. Screaming Fist

While he has been unlucky, Montero is also getting flat out shelled as well. At least the stuff stuff still seems to be there. He’s missing bats but some of the ground balls he generated last season on his change and sinker have become line drives and fly balls that have hurt him.

#690 Screaming Fist, Jun 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    tehG l i d e and Stephen66 like this.
  11. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Everybody seems like have lost some edge.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Sometimes the parade makes you hunger for another

Sometimes it makes you feel like you finally made it and there is nothing left to accomplish.

desihooper, solid and Stephen66 like this.
  13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

We have fewer blown saves than any team in baseball

Tomstro likes this.
  14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Dusty still had that challenge in his back pocket on the out at first base in extra innings with Pena. Why not challenge that? It was real, real close.

Tomstro likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And sometimes... it rains.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Hope you’re right. Wish Dusty retired before this season, but it is what it is. I like the way Abreu is swinging the bat. It ain’t over yet guys. Just pray Alvarez doesn’t miss too much time. Brown will do something at the deadline. I’m torn on Brantley coming back. We already have the answer with Diaz, McCormick, and Myers for a 1-9 lineup. Just have to force Maldonado and Julks to the bench.

Tomstro likes this.
  17. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Bumpy past week of baseball after the competition stepped up in class from AL West bottom half. New injuries to key players, and sample sizes of season-long “slumps” become more difficult to classify as such with each passing game. Question now is the past week a temporary slump or a portent of things to come?

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Maldy isn't going to the bench - completely- but I see a very slow change towards Diaz

My hope is that this is like Dubon in CF last year - he plays most of the games heading into the playoffs then Diaz takes over from there.

I see Maldy catching Framber but Diaz catching everyone else.

Nook likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Also worth noting that Cleveland only successfully bunted the runner over to 3rd once in all those extra innings - and they didn't score that inning (the 10th).

20. Buck Turgidson

There is a quote from Bull Durham or Major League that fits every baseball situation.

Nook likes this.