1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Last Weekend in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is my last weekend in Houston. Not looking for suggestions for what to do (just spending time with my aging Dad, we went to Tony’s tonight). But it’s going to be a long time before I come back. I know most of you love this place dearly, and while I am from here it’s not for me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Andre0087, BMoney, Yung-T and 9 others like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Happy trails.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'll never live in another place again in Texas unless Austin. I would live in Houston before Dallas or San Antonio though.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Where are you moving to?

5. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

DC Suburbs

edit: Montgomery County for those in the know

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

What is drawing you there?

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This will not be my last weekend in Houston

8. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Culture, Climate, and Jobs
    Cost of living is a b**** though.

daywalker02 and tinman like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

But why would you not spend a weekend in Houston, just to visit. I would like to do that again someday.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why are you thanking us for fish

We didn't give you fish

Xerobull likes this.
  11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Born and raised in Houston. So ready to leave for a different climate. I always think of Augustus Mccrae though telling Lorie: Lorie darlin', life in San Francisco, you see, is still just life. If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment. Hopefully I’m not too disappointed. Or die before I can be.

bigdaddy and Dankstronaut like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What about prawns and scallops.....

Xerobull likes this.
  13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Douglas Adams

BMoney and Xerobull like this.
  14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I've lived and traveled all over the world, and can support your weather argument. Houston's weather is easily the worst I've lived in. Sweltering heat for months on end is the worst form of weather. Having seasons is nice and provides for some variety throughout the year.

bcast89 and Ubiquitin like this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My wife grew up close to the Great Lakes and would argue that overcast, gloomy and depressing freezing weather for months in a row is worse. Which is why she moved to Texas.

Yung-T, Uprising, CCity Zero and 5 others like this.
  16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. H-Town hol' it down

Xerobull likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A week of sub zero temps does make one reconsider sweltering swamping weather

Sajan, AroundTheWorld and davidio840 like this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Don’t forget your towel.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I left in 2011 for Austin. Don’t go back often honestly. The weather, lack of scenery and enormous amount of people did it for me.

I know people say I35 in Austin is the worst… and maybe it is as I’m never in on it through the middle of town in rush hour so idk it seems fine to me… but when I do go back to Houston and am on I10 or 45 or 610… makes me want to pull my hair out.

If I had endless money I’d move to La Jolla. I know it’s en vogue to hate California right now but I love it there lol. Wouldn’t move to LA or the Bay Area but anywhere around San Diego or Monterrey Bay or Santa Barbara, etc. I just love the Pacific Ocean and Mediterranean climate. I woundnt mind Portugal or southern Spain or France either but don’t want to have to deal with language barriers. I bet New Zealand would be great (with endless money) or even some Australian cities but dang it’s far far away.

I have some friends in the DC area. It’s aight. Honestly it wouldn’t have been one of my first choices given your comment on climate culture jobs. Obviously you get more seasons but DC has its share of summer heat and humidity, I didn’t find the culture there to be that uniquely different and would expect the job market in Houston to be better honestly but what do I know.

edit: sidebar I’ve been in Austin long enough now to complain about it. Has it lost some of its “culture” to me? Absolutely. That’s basically inevitable with the rate of growth. It’s not a “damn tall skyscrapers!” thing. Frankly while a little over-modern and somewhat lacking in extreme variation they’ve done a good job architectural downtown. Given my California comment it’s not a jab at all them moving in or Elon moving in or whatever. It’s just a comment on the overall lifestyle, pace, etc. getting in to see a doctor within a month requires acts of god. Or a reservation to a nice restaurant- speaking of which the food scene is much improved but way overrated. Or going on a nice hike. Our family’s favorite local hike we had to abandon years ago cause of lack of parking. We never go to Zilker anymore even though we live very close cause of overcrowdedness. Obviously you can still get out in the hill country a bit and there are some nice state parks.

as I age I’ve realized I don’t want a HUGE city… but I also don’t want a small town either. Texas small towns in particular imo are uniquely awful. They are typically very run down looking boring towns in the middle of nowhere. Even something like Fredericksburg I don’t get the appeal that much. It’s “ok”.

La Jolla is, admittedly, basically San Diego… a large city. But I like how it feels like it’s own little town … and of course the weather and pacific. You could go further north - Oceanside, Encinitas, etc. still close enough but their own little vibes. I thought about the Oregon coast as well. And drove all up it a year or two back. Some of the most gorgeous coastline you’ll ever see with almost no one on it … cause it’s not warm in the summer even. There’s a little town called Seaside I believe that is like 90 minutes from Portland. Has a great beach town vibe (not like Texas beach towns maybe Galveston excluded… the smaller Texas beach towns all feel way too industrial and fishing focused for me… I like fishing but not that much and lack the feel of a crisp Pacific Ocean morning/evening) … but even in August the water is cold af. Heck in August the La Jolla water is still a bit chilly!

Any way… sorry for the expanded post was just getting my thoughts down. Again I know folks hate on California now…. But weather, ocean, sunsets are all super important to me. The feel of a “chill” lifestyle is super important to me. Having access to beach, desert, mountain, rivers, redwoods all super important to me. Do I love the taxes or political climate? Not enormously but every place has problems in that vein, Texas DEFINITELY included.

thanks for indulging

#19 JayZ750, Jun 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  20. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I have lived in Texas, Ohio, and Maryland. Of the three, I liked Maryland the best. Mild winters with occasional snow, one or two months of stuffy summer in the high 80s, an electrical grid that works, and easy access to a corridor of cities (DC <-> Philadelphia <-> NYC is very easy with the Northeast regional Amtrak). The only downside for me is the cost of living but it’s better than NYC or SF. Maybe even LA.

In a different life, I would’ve moved to LA in the early 2010s and never looked back. But it doesn’t rain there and the people were vain. Not that DC people are any better.