1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conley’s contract > Harden, CP3, FVV

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PatBev, Jun 7, 2023.

1. PatBev

PatBev Member

Conleys 20 million expiring is better deal than any multi year deals at 30+mill we would throw at Harden, CP3, or FVV

Classy respected veteran point guard that allows us to stay flexible in free agency the next couple off seasons before we start paying everybody. Also opens the door to resign him for maybe a bench role. Let him start over Amen, KPJ, or whoever this year

That 20million expiring is key in allowing us to throw a couple balloon payments in FA. Could throw Lopez a 2/50 deal and still have $20mil+ for another 3&D vet

Trade KMJ, Tate, Christopher and we would have like 55 million to still throw around in FA with Conley on the roster

This is the way

robbie380, Bigearz, kjayp and 11 others like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree with this, he is one of my favorite point guard options... but my question is, does Minnesota want to give him up? Maybe if they blow the whole thing up and rebuild, which they should do... but I don't know if they will.

Williamson likes this.
  3. PatBev

PatBev Member

Conley is 35 and on a expiring deal. I’m sure Minnesota would take anything they could get for him and imagine they have been thinking of who they will pair next to Edwards. They also probably would take any pick you would offer to start reloading after a giving their picks away

I would definitely wouldn’t give up to much. KMJ and a low valued 1st

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I respect his vet leadership, but in the scenario u propose, we basically get a 1-yr rental for KMJ, Tate and Christopher.

clos4life, maj21 and arabrocket like this.
  5. PatBev

PatBev Member

No I’m not saying trade them for Conley. One of them yes. I saw trade them as I see their minutes being taken by veterans or that’s at least what needs to happen.

They were cute on the worst team in the league but trade them this off season while you can and help add on to that cap space

Honestly though I would trade KMJ, Tate, and Christopher for Conley just to avoid giving Harden or FVV a 3-4 year deal

Aruba77 likes this.
  6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Ev
    Everything you said is just rubbish!!! Considering you are supposed to be a Rockets Fan ! Y

SamFisher likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

[​IMG]

8. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Right. Why would we give up assets for a 35 yo one year rental …

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why are you sure of this, Minny traded for him just months ago for the exact reasons you'd value him on our team, with the specific bonus of him having a deep knowledge and relationship with Gobert, who the Wolves gutted themselves for.

TimDuncanDonaut and SamFisher like this.
  10. Ancient Moabite

The Rockets young bulls need to taste the play in or be in the running for last two spots playing meaningful games, which is why Harden healthy and engaged gets you to that marker and in order to start this said phase two, you got to pay a premium for that, since most playoff teams have high payroll

and I would never worry about Billionaires and a cap space, spend the money, wisely mixed with some gamblers type edge/ego

If they can't get Harden, then the back up plan for a Conley or possibly FVV makes sense, but I would try and get Memphis on line for Jones offer, or if Hornets draft Scoot I would make a house call to Jordan and see if I can bamboozle him for LaMelo which is unlikely but it won't hurt trying

11. Rokman

Rokman Member

I think it's not a bad idea but I'd rather see us get another pick in the Top 10 if it meant being able to snatch up a Top prospect like Walker, Lively or Grady.

I'd say absorb Porzingis' $36 M expiring deal (which I can only assume he'll pick up his player option)and the 10th pick for like Nix and some future 2nd or some trash. Not sure we can do that but figure considering we are under the cap as much as we are that shouldn't be an issue. We then have max money again next off-season when we actually want to spend on a free-agent.

Trade Martin + #20 to move into like the #15 range

PG - #4 pick (Thompson? /Scoot?) / TyTy
    SG - Green / Porter
    SF - Eason / #10 (Walker? / Dick?)
    PF - Smith / Garuba
    ..C - Sengun / Porzingis (1 year rental) / #15 (Lively)

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Would Minny take KPJ+filler?

13. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

How about we give them this year's #20 pick + Tate?

PatBev likes this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Harden - who is a UFA and obviously is predisposed to Houston - is too old to spend large money on in his later years

Therefore the Rockets should invest giving up assets to acquire Conley who is even older and not as good a player and has no desire to be here, so that he'll be gone sooner.

Yeah, no this does not check out in any possible way.

All the people worried about spending Tillmans money in 2027 season need to outline how this scenario happens

1 Rockets sign Harden, get to play in quality in 2023
    2 Building off this success they somehow acquire UNNAMED BIG $ NAME OTHER GUY and get even better
    3 in 2027 UNNAMED CURRENT ROCKET or UNNAMED BIG $ NAME OTHER GUY is up for a big money extension but the Rockets can't pay it until Harden expores
    4 sage Clutchfan geniuses say "see grasshopper i warned you this would happen I am internet king"

There's some logical leaps in there.

#14 SamFisher, Jun 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    larsv8 likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Conley would be ideal as a mentor if we could get him on the cheap. He is still a very good player on both sides of the ball. However, Minnesota really doesn’t have a replacement for him and they are still trying to field a competitor, so I don’t think they will take the deal. If we indeed draft Scoot or Amen, Conley or Caruso would be ideal to mentor and let your future PG get some experience.

daywalker02 and Corpusfan like this.
  17. PatBev

PatBev Member

I would consolidate players and assets we can afford to lose for Conley to avoid a bad contract the first year we have money. KMJ, Tate, Christopher, Tyty probably aren’t playing with another top 4 pick and veterans coming in. I’d gladly overpay with low value assets for Conley and to add onto our max capspace

Your step 2 where you say “somehow acquire”. That’s the problem with handing out a 3-4 year 30-40mil contract to a aged player. It will immediately hinder us in free agency. We have 2 years before rookie deals end. We should be staying as flexible as possible the next couple off seasons. Conleys contract allows that

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Rockets have the most cap room in the NBA projected into infinity - and the only extesntion that is even moderately costly, KPJ's - is not guaranteed. They basically have the cleanest possible cap picture. They could theoretically absorb multiple max contracts.

I can't state this enough the cap is going to go up not only next year but in future years. The Rockets are closer to the floor than to the ceiling.

But, for those of you concerned about spending Tilman's money, you know what makes it so that you have to overpay players in future years and will "immediately hinder us in free agency" ?

Having 4 consecutive 20 win seasons and becoming an NBA backwater who is out of the play-in race by December

Also - I know this is crazy and controversial- but the Rockets should make moves that try to win regular season basketball games and worry about the hypothetical long term success (that is nowhere on teh horizon) later? Like, as a fan, I get disineterested when there is an 80% cchance the team is going to lose before the opening tip, which is what these last few years have been.

Not everybody has to walk around in life with 2007 Daryl Morey Salary Cap brain biding your tiem because you're about to get predatory, it's about playing games that are played, not future pretend games that you are "setting yourself up for"

#18 SamFisher, Jun 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

This my read as well. They're happy with Conley. Gobert felt more comfortable after Conley came. There were games where Conley was showing his age; but they're still happy with him as far as I know.

It's not impossible to pry Conley away, but Rockets have to do some overpay. How much and is it worth it, is debatable.

The Conley v Harden debate may come down to how much/long Harden will budge for a home discount. If Harden off the table; I can see Rockets lean towards Conley.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]