1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scoot falling to #4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Give me Whitmore or trade down

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  2. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Thats just silly

Snow Villiers, Os Trigonum and YOLO like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Exactly....this is why I think we trade the pick.

The grind of the season, physical players, size and speed of competition took a toll on Jabari. It will on Brandon Miller as well.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Exactly....this is why I think we trade the pick.

The grind of the season, physical players, size and speed of competition took a toll on Jabari. It will on Brandon Miller as well.

5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Waiting for the inevitable “Wemby Falling to #4” thread. For all Rockets fans: There is zero percent chance of Wemby, Miller, or Scoot falling to four….ZERO!!!

6. NewAge

NewAge Member

yeah, I hope not. Some interesting kids in this draft, but nobody looks to be able to crack a legit NBA rotation right away. I hope we have a legit team next year.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I still think there's a high chance Charlotte will end up picking Scoot, and they don't, Portland will capitalize on their mistake.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  8. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

DD has spoken!

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  9. Rocket85

Rocket85 Member

I don't understand trading the 4th pick. This is our last chance to be in the top of the draft for awhile unless Brooklyn totally blows it up. And with us clearly not having a superstar or alpha just yet, I would take best player available at this spot. Unless we swing for a young upcoming all star that wants out.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  10. AXG

AXG Member

The Rockets would need to trade with Charlotte to get Scoot, which is far likelier than trading with Portland or hoping that Scoot somehow falls to 4. Throw in KJ Martin to get the deal done.

11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't be that absolute. Things can change in the workout and interview process. Especially if the teams don't already have a wide gap on their draft boards. I think their is a decent chance that neither Charlotte nor Portland takes Scoot. Now, there is still the chance that another team that really likes him will try to trade up, but I'm not sure if a trade offer will provide those teams with what they are looking for.

Y2JT likes this.
  12. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

So,you think that KJ Martin’s value is enough to jump from 4 to 2? I would be happy if we can pack him with the 20th pick to move up to 16-17

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

When you need one team to be a moron, it can happen. When you need two, it’s not likely. Now, it CAN happen. Two teams passed on luca when he was far and away the top guy so there at least is some precedent

Ancient Moabite, OremLK and theDude like this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

My guess on the actual cost to move up if we don't want Green/Smith/Sengun involved in the trade:

#4, Tari Eason, 2024 Brooklyn 1st Round Pick

I think that probably gets it done. A good young player at a position of need + a potential lottery pick next season. Even then, it probably depends on how Charlotte feels about the Thompson twins, Cam Whitmore, etc. If they're really low on them, even that package might not be enough.

CarlosGM and Nook like this.
  15. AXG

AXG Member

It's possible. Jordan isn't exactly the best talent evaluator. I'd include Martin or Eason, preferably Martin. Even if the Rockets need to include a future first or the 20th pick, I don't think the price would be nearly as steep for Charlotte as it would be for Portland.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

This would be a lot easier if we had landed at #3 because I think Charlotte really does like Miller a lot. If they pick Scoot and Portland picks Amen maybe it suddenly gets a lot easier to make a trade with them?

17. Nook

Nook Member

I don't agree.

yixiixiy, Os Trigonum and OremLK like this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah DD is wrong again. You don’t get a top 4 pick and send him to RGV. He’ll be playing at 20mpg, unless the pick is Amen and you sign Harden.

Nook likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

No, the issue isn't on the defensive end - its on the offensive end. The Hornets already have the player that they want to drive their engine and run their offense, and that is Ball - so that limits what Scoot Henderson can do for them.

As far as the duo of Henderson and Green - it isn't perfect. there are still issues defensively with Green and Henderson because Henderson isn't really tall. His wingspan helps but there can still be issues. Defensively the best combo is Green and Amen Thompson. We are now running into some of the bottle necks I discussed when we drafted players that struggle defensively.

OremLK likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Because people fail to realize that the downside can be huge. The Rockets lack enough high end talent and this is the last chance at a high lottery pick. This reminds me of those Gasol/Conley/Allen Grizzlies teams - you can play hard and have grit, but at the end of the day you need the high end talent.