1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

I swear the way some people talk about this dude like he was some trash level player who brought misery to this franchise will never not be insane.

BMoney, Bo6, kubli9 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure if it was really a leverage play. But for a long time, the rumor has been solidly consistent. This is the first sign of a crack.

The thing is, most people without emotional attachment questioned the validity of both the Rockets wanting him back. and Harden wanting to go to a team like the Rockets. It never really made sense on both ends.

OremLK and kjayp like this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Hard-on left money on the table last time - to recoup his 'brand image' after 2 forced trades...
    Now he wants to get every dollar he can!
    Whoever is stupid enough to give him a 4 year deal - is gonna have at least 2 years of negative value contract on their books imo...
    Everybody knows we got tons of money to spend... so we're the obvious leverage to use against Morey...

but if we actually ponied up that 4 yr max contract to that narcissistic sob - after the way he left... that'd be the most disgusting move in franchise history imo...

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Personally, I dont see a path to the finals for Philly next year. Boston will be as good if not better. Probably same for Miami.

I think (and have thought) that he over the ring chase. I still expect him back here although im sure it is very 50/50.

I dont really care honestly. Im excited about next year by default. I think we take a nice jump no matter what.

BamBam likes this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I still think he is going to sign with Houston, I believe he hates the Northeast. Philly reporters have said he loves the city of Houston. Anytime, he had a coupe of days off from games he would go straight to HOUSTON. After the victory over Brooklyn and before the Boston game we was back at Houston working out. He hated Brooklyn and dislike the city of PHILADELPHIA. We should come back, if we get him around 42 million, and find another legit veteran starter at SF.

6. Jags

Jags Member

More like he ruined a good thing here with those playoff exits of his and pushing out CP3.

kjayp likes this.
  7. thekad

thekad Member

Hilariously, the most likely outcome is Harden re-signs with the Sixers, the Rockets win 25 games with newly-minted bust Amen Thompson and give up a lottery pick to the Thunder.

The delusion in here believing the Rockets are anything more than a laughingstock franchise right now is incredible.

“We might take the best FA on the market if he takes $10m a year and acquiesces to KMJr.”

SamFisher likes this.
  8. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Seriously no Harden please, I am begging this organisation not to do it! Just don’t do it.

9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I thought it was a done deal for Harden? Harden can not do this again…seriously?

James Harden‘s free agency will likely come down to re-signing with the Sixers or signing up for a second stint with the Rockets, Shams Charania of The Athletic said on the Ryan Russillo podcast (hat tip to RealGM). Harden is expected to decline his $35.64MM option.

“I really think he’s torn with the prospect of staying in Philadelphia or moving on to Houston potentially and returning back to his home,” Charania said. “That’s where his roots are and his family there, of course. They (the Rockets) have got upwards of $60 million [in cap space]. They can make even more money available. Close to $70 million in cap space.”

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Harden cannot be confused, he should already know that he wants to come back to Houston or lose again in Philly….this cannot be about leverage? If he sign with Philly that mean he played us the whole time in the media to get more money from Philly. It’s going to be a crazy summer.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[
    Better to stay the course - the course being 3 years of circling the toilet.

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

everyone knows a good leverage play HAS to have some actual foundation of becoming a real possibility or else there wouldn't be any leverage to begin with.

James is going to go who offers him the most money. End of debate. Now who is the team offering him the most money is the real question here. I really think if we landed Wembanyama we would have seen some real smoke from the Houston camp lobbying for Harden's arrival. It's not surprising that now we have a 90% chance of drafting Scoot or Amen, that Houston has put out some reluctance to signing Harden on a max deal.

topfive likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

If you thought it was a done deal, that's on you. You wanted him back so badly you thought clicking your heels together three times would do the trick.

This was never going to happen because it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for either side.

14. SamFisher

Absolutely no sense?

o_O

The Rockets have the worst halfcourt playmaking personnel in NBA and a franchise legend who happens to live in Houston and be the best halfcourt offense orchestrator of the last decade happens to be available via FA...oh and next year is a bad draft, the Rockets rebuild is still stuck in neutral, and they don't control their own draft

You might not like it - but it actually makes some sense unlike the many other moves that are not being discussed.

Like Eric Gordon to the Rockets makes no sense, ergo nobody is talking about it - Harden fills a glaring need for a team going nowhere fast, even with his baggage.

15. SamFisher

This bit showed up in the Shams/harper column in the Athletic today;

Coach Translator
    Nick Nurse on The Beard

Last week, Nick Nurse was introduced in Philadelphia as the 76ers’ new coach. Check out this exchange with a media member:

Nurse: “… and you got to be better at the end of those two months than you were in the first…”

Interrupting media member: “Do you want James Harden back?”

Nurse: “James Harden’s a great player.”

Media: “That didn’t answer the question.”

Nurse: “Well, I would say this… is that… um… James has a decision to make, and, um, I’d be very happy if he came back.”

That media member’s bluntness was incredible. My translation for that exchange? By initially answering that Harden is a great player, Nurse wanted to buy himself time before the question was reissued, which happened in the most Philly way possible.

From there, Nurse mentioning Harden’s looming decision can be taken only one way: “We’ve all heard the rumors about Harden returning to Houston, so I must treat them as real for now.”

Philly’s new voice then said he’d be very happy if James comes back to Philly. Translation? “I just spent years running my offense through players who aren’t lead guards, and also I saw how Philly’s season ended. I’ll say I’m happy if he comes back just in case the Houston rumors don’t end up being true. Daryl Morey, can we trade for Scottie Barnes?”

I saw better acting in “Simon Sez” with Dennis Rodman and Dane Cook.​

BamBam likes this.
  16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

If Harden does not come, it’s going to be not good. CP3 is not coming

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

The strip clubs will indeed suffer. I’ll take my chances on the rockets fate faring much better.

18. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

19. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Seriously no Harden please, I am begging this organisation not to do it! Just don’t do it.
    So you think signing Harden to over 30m a season is a good idea? Maybe bringing the rockets to a borderline playoff team for the next 4 years?

topfive and peleincubus like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member