1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do you draw the line - transgender

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by droxford, Feb 7, 2023.

?

We all draw the line some where. Where do you draw the line?

1. Society should refer to transgenders using their preferred pronouns

19 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Definitions ("man", "woman", "gender", & "sex") should be changed/eliminated due to transgenders

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. It should be permissible for transgenders to share restroom/locker room with their identified gender

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. Transgenders should be able to participate in athletic & other competitions based on their identity

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Transgenders should qualify for loans, grants, scholarships, & admissions based on their identity

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. Gender-specific organizations should be required to accept transgendrs based on their gender idntity

7 vote(s)
    10.8%
  7. Historical medical records & birth certificats should be changed to only show transgenders' indntity

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  8. Transgenders <16 yrs should be able to hve sex-reassignmnt surgery/pubrty blockrs w/o parent consent

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  9. The U.S. government should provide finances for sex-reassigned surgeries and puberty-blocking drugs

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  10. None of the above

44 vote(s)
    67.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Nah. She is a male but not a man.

There is a difference between gender and sex.

She was born a male - but not a man. He made the decision that she identifies as a woman - and is a trans woman.

She is apparently attracted romantically to women - but that doesn't make her a man... and that doesn't mean she has a "mental illness" - it also would be a mental disorder and not a mental illness.

For all I know she is also attracted to men....

Also the use of the term mental illness is being thrown around a lot by those that do not support transgendered rights..... it appears to be used as a stigma, which really isn't the purpose of a ""mental illness" diagnosis - and even if someone has a mental disorder diagnosis, it does not necessarily mean they are insane, cannot function in society of their worth is diminished.

The diagnosis in the USA under the DSM is gender dysphoria...... and not everyone that has gender dysphoria is trans - and technically someone can be trans and not have gender dysphoria.

General anxiety for example is a mental disorder under the DSM-5, yet I don't hear people refer to those with GAD as being mentally ill.

If someone has PTSD or stutters... or dyslexia........ or restless leg - those are all mental disorders, yet I do not hear these people referred to as mentally ill.

I don't even agree with all of the views and opinions held by some pushing rights for the trans community - for example I believe when it comes to athletics or scholarships or promotional situations, that the rights of females should be protected.

However, as a society, we DO and long have made REASONABLE accommodations for those with physical and mental disorders that have been diagnosed. For example, someone with dyslexia or GAD will often get additional time to complete an examination in school.

So, while you think it is funny or cute to call someone that is transexual "mentally ill", be ware that someone with an education will know that the terminology doesn't mean what you think it means, and that you are belittling a lot of other people that have be diagnosed with mental disorders.

Xopher, rocketsjudoka and mtbrays like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Nah. She is a male but not a man.

There is a difference between gender and sex.

She was born a male - but not a man. He made the decision that he identifies as a woman, and is a trans woman.

She is apparently attracted romantically to women - but that doesn't make her a man... and that doesn't mean she has a mental illness - it also would be a mental disorder and not a mental illness.

For all I know she is also attracted to men....

Also the use of the term mental illness is being thrown around a lot by those that do not support transgendered rights..... it appears to be used as a stigma, which really isn't the purpose of a mental illness diagnosis - and even if someone has a mental disorder diagnosis, it does not necessarily mean they are insane, cannot function in society of their worth is diminished.

The diagnosis in the USA under the DSM is gender dysphoria...... and not everyone that has gender dysphoria is trans - and technically someone can be trans and not have gender dysphoria.

General anxiety for example is a mental disorder under the DSM-5, yet I don't hear people refer to those with GAD as being mentally ill.

If someone has PTSD or stutters... or dyslexia........ or restless leg - those are all mental or neurological disorders, yet I do not hear these people referred to as mental ill.

I don't even agree with all of the views and opinions held by some pushing rights for the trans community - for example I believe when it comes to athletics or scholarships or promotional situations, that the rights of females should be protected.

However, as a society, we DO and long have made REASONABLE accommodations for those with physical and mental disorders that have been diagnosed. For example, someone with dyslexia or GAD will often get additional time to complete an examination in school.

So, while you think it is funny or cute to call someone that is transexual "mentally ill", be ware that someone with an education will know that the terminology doesn't mean what you think it means, and that you are belittling a lot of other people that have be diagnosed with mental disorders.

3. SuraGotMadHops

I appreciate your point of view. Fundamentally, where I differ is I just do not see gender and sex as being different, nor fluid, nor changeable. I do think it is a manifestation or a mental illness (or disorder if that is the more appropriate way to identify it), and it's a sign of humanity not being able to accept the fact that some aspects of reality cannot be changed or controlled by humans. Human beings cant stand not being in complete control of absolutely everything. You cannot create your own reality simply by announcing it, or change sex/genders by wearing a dress and makeup, of even rearranging your boy parts.

I also do not understand the movement that trans are fighting for more "rights." What fundamental or inalienable rights are trans people deprived of? They can mutilate whatever body part they want, marry who they want, wear what they want. Children are off limits, that's a parent decision, that's not a denial of rights.

At the same time, non trans people have the right to not have to forcibly acknowledge or participate in a trans person's alternate reality because it makes them sad.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/sex-gender-and-why-differences-matter/2008-07

https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/what-do-we-mean-by-sex-and-gender/

5. Salvy

Salvy Member

So many mental gymnasts up in here, why is it so hard to understand something so basic? Did ya'll not watch Mr. Rogers growing up? Penis equals dude, vagina equals girl.... Done....

@tinman

tinman and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  6. SuraGotMadHops

There is a lot of word salading, agenda pushing, make a scientific sounding explanation into what I want mumbo jumbo in these articles. It's bs and it shows my point where human beings feel compelled to explain their way into changing things that are outside of their control. The schism between sex and gender is bogus.

Salvy and tinman like this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some people did, and haven't progressed an inch in their understanding since that time.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My opinion is this Dylan character is pulling a Borat

9. Xopher

Xopher Member

Did you just say "parent decision"? You're full of ****. You are fine with Parental rights until those decisions differ from your opinions. Then you want to deny parents rights to make best decisions for THEIR children. You are fine with making laws denying parents these rights. You only want rights for parents who agree with you.

10. SuraGotMadHops

[​IMG]

Umm...so I said when it comes to kids it's a parental decision, then on your own you decide that I actually meant I do not believe it should be a parental decision. It's putting words in other people's mouths with cussing and superfluous exclamation points that make me think of the girl in this meme when people like you speak.

How parents raise their kids according to their own personal values is their business, doesn't mean I agree with what that parent does, doesn't mean I think they're good or responsible or even smart parents, but that's their choice.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

If they sent fake women to colonize mars
    Then there would be no colony

cause those are dudes

12. tinman

Supporting Member

It’s a choice for the Lin fans to be his fans
    And when he sucks it was their fault for not noticing
    @Os Trigonum
    It’s the same with the woke. They can keep saying these dudes are chicks
    But when there’s no kids cause real dudes knows that those are dudes
    Then it’s their fault
    @Salvy

Salvy likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I draw the line at the sexualization of children and children's activities. I do not hate drag, I hate the mixing in of its sexual nature with children. No one cares if a man wants to feel pretty.

15. Xopher

Xopher Member

I agree. Child beauty pageants are much more prevalent than trans people. Where is the 52 page post about those?

16. Frank_Duhon

Frank_Duhon Member

Apparently they don't have the right to receive one beer can with their face on it without being denigrated by many people throughout the country...

Nook likes this.
  17. SuraGotMadHops

I think you have a misunderstanding of what an inalienable right is. You would have a gripe if trans people faces were banned, by law, from being put on a beer can. They are not. At the same time, once their face is on said beer can, others are allowed to react however they want.

18. Frank_Duhon

Frank_Duhon Member

So... the right to be treated respectfully (when you are doing absolutely nothing to infringe upon anyone else) isn't a "fundamental" (your word in the quoted post) right?

19. SuraGotMadHops

Of course they do, who said they don't? What I am saying is people can react to BUD LIGHT however they want if they decide to put a trans person on their can. People being turned off by a beer can is their prerogative, right or wrong. At the same time, nobody should directly harass a trans person.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I find the Venn Diagram of people celebrating the backlash at Disney, Budlight, Target, etc and those who complain about "cancel culture' to be a perfect circle.

The Bud Light thing is particularly telling. It's not enough to just have a product and like it, or to have it market/pander to you in particular, it has to exclude those whom you find objectionable. Truly silly.

No Worries likes this.