1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't think Scoot is incompatible with Lamelo. Ball plays next to Rozier currently who has a pretty high usage himself. Ball is also a good shooter, career 37.7% from deep on high volume, so he can play off ball as well. Charlotte might prefer Miller fit-wise, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they though Scoot had a higher upside and went with him.

roslolian likes this.
  2. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

my boys were both 6 after the 1st week of kindergarten.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Morant and Fox are 30% three point shooters. They are also stud mid range shooters, shooting 46%+ in the mid range. If you combine that with their ability to get to the rim and their teammates who are snipers from 3 then they can get around zone.

That's not really comparable to the Twins at all just in terms of teammates Rox don't have the kind of consistent shooters Memphis and Sacramento have. In terms of shooting the Twins are in the 20s in the OTE. That's not comparable at all to the NBA lol

raining threes and robbie380 like this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Fox was a 24.6% three point shooter in college (from college 3P line rather than NBA-distance as OTE has).

Ja was a pretty good 3P shooter his last year in college though to be fair.

Some other guys who were below 30% at shooting threes their last year in college/international ball before entering the NBA:

Luka Doncic**
    Josh Giddey
    Marcus Smart
    Jaylen Brown**
    DeMar DeRozan**
    Anthony Edwards*
    Tyrese Maxey
    Bruce Brown
    Goran Dragic**
    Rajon Rondo**
    Jordan Clarkson
    Dejounte Murray*
    Kawhi Leonard**
    LaMelo Ball*

*Former All-Star
    **Former All-NBA

raining threes and carl_herrera like this.
  5. i3artow i3aller

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

And how many of those players had no mid range game either?

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's difficult to find advanced statistics covering midrange jump shots in college. But from memory, some of those guys definitely sucked at jump shooting from all distances.

Also remember that college 3 = midrange jumper in the NBA.

robbie380 likes this.
  8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm not even sure I'd say Ja is a good mid-range shooter, and honestly (because I'm a Morey acolyte) I think most guys aren't really that good. Luka fluctuates season-to-season, but he's had some mid 30s seasons from mid-range. At that point, might as well put up a 3pt shot, even if you are shooting 25%.

Haha, yeah I've actually modified my stance on that after watching him play a bit more. Still needs to clean up some things, but I'm not as worried about his jump passes now. :)

Jump Passes Are Good Now

OremLK and i3artow i3aller like this.
  9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Amen does not need to focus on 3 point shooting but his free throws and floaters in the paint. This guy can start on the bench, play 25 minutes a game and will fill the box score up! 11 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals, 1.5 blocks and 3 turnovers

raining threes likes this.
  10. i3artow i3aller

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

You also need to remember college 3 = 5x OTE 3.

College 3s are shorter but they are contested as people are actually playing for something , and the best perimeter defenders in college tend to be seniors in the mid 20s who have had years of fundamental training.

OTE has the correct distance but people guarding you are teenagers who have no clue wtf they are doing. It's like taking worst aspect of GLeague and NCAA and putting them together.

12. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

It's not poor 3 point shooting in college that should worry you, it's poor FT shooting. Every dude who vastly improved his 3PT shooting in the NBA was already a good FT shooter in college.

13. ROCK3TM4N

ROCK3TM4N Member

Gotta admit he’s growing on me, but feels like another Banchero situation where he ends up getting picked up before 4 and we end up with Brandon Miller? Lol

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

With the way Rox drat has gone it does seem to be the case, Amen is getting the late push Banchero got last year I agree Rox might picking Miller. Either that or Scoot, and I don't like Scoot as I don't like short and injury prone PGs wholly dependent on their athleticism and quickness to do anything.

Gonna be honest I actually prefer Amen to Scoot. Scoot is so much better now, but in 5 yrs or so Amen gonna be better since he is like 4-5 inches taller.

15. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

I don't agree with this logic that Scoot < Amen because Amen is 4-5 inches taller. It's not that simple. If you use that logic then Westbrook > Chris Paul but as we all know that's clearly not the case.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Did you watch this year's playoffs? Or practically any playoffs?

Of course it's not that simple but being longer just gives you more advantage. WB is washed and scored 3-19 but he actually boosted his team to a win thanks to ferocious defense. CP3 oth has been doing nothing except fold and crap all over himself every playoff cuz he is too short. Good for regular season but king of 2-0 blown leads in the playoffs.

Scoot is just too short you have to go back to Billups to see a team led by a midget win a ring and that was just one time. Steph Curry is of course the exception but that dude has 3-4 all star teammates helping him I mean I don't think that's realistic to have practically all the starters be all stars. Not to mention no way in hell Fertits will pay 4 max contracts.

#876 roslolian, Jun 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  17. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

He is growing on me to now, I want Amen.

18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Amen's shot is very troubling... but his court vision and passing have potential... and of course his athleticism. Could he succeed as a pass-first point-forward? Possibly.

NBA Comps: Lonzo Ball and Penny Hardaway. Lonzo Ball dramatically improved his FT and 3P shooting from when he entered the league... and also has an ugly shot. Only problem is Lonzo has not played up to his draft position (#2 overall).

I'm still leaning Cam Whitmore at #4. Dude is a rock solid bull with a competitive drive and a good shot and good defense. Can't miss with those attributes.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Stone needs to let a post it note dramatically fall from his hand onto his desk that reads “Scoot Henderson no matter what”.

but if we do take Amen, it’s clear he has excellent handles, court vision, passing skills, and defense. He’s one of the quickest players I’ve ever seen with the ball. Because of the current roster configuration, I hate adding guard who can’t shoot. But if we were able to massively overhaul the roster and add shooting, I think he could work.

#879 Aruba77, Jun 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member