1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

he fits udoka style play 100%

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If Ime agrees with you, our chances of drafting him just went up considerably.

3. bmelo

bmelo Member

if you think about it if that guy ever develops a shot he is 100% prototype of Udoka player. Disruptive switchable and long defensive player, excellent in transition, can init offense, great passing and team player.... this guy is slept on. I read about Scoot and his athletic ability but this guy is way bigger and as much athletic

jim1961 likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

If Amen can develop a shot he'd be no 2 after Wemby. There's a risk he won't though that's why we're having this conversation. The stuff about being a great defender that Ausar not Amen.

Being his twin Amen obviously can be a great defender like Ausar, but right now he isn't. Got caught ball watching and on biting on fakes vs teenagers in OTE.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Amen is going to the Blazers. Really hoping Dame pushes for Miller.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol take any of these guys over Paolo Banchero? Dude only averaged 20 6 3 in the NBA as a 20 yr old on a crappy Magic team.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Imagine if Charlotte takes Miller as rumored and Portland takes Amen. Thinks worked out just about perfectly for us to at least have a chance at Scoot I guess. Honestly kinda okay with any of those three guys though (Miller is definitely my least favorite but still a good prospect).

AXG, bmelo and don grahamleone like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Rockets don't want Scoot Shorterson.....as soon as the fanbase figures that out, posting will be better here.

DD

hlmbasketball and bmelo like this.
  10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Keep on spamming it DD. They may not be willing to pay the asking price to trade up for him, but I'll bet you if he's available at #4 they'd take him in a heartbeat.

don grahamleone and roslolian like this.
  11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

They said his coach in OTE told him to be a free roamer and not guard anybody which is why he got a lot of steals and leak outs. He just played the lanes essentially I’m confident in Udoka coaching abilit to akenhom a solid defender.

BaselineFade and don grahamleone like this.
  12. lionaire

lionaire Member

Damn haven't heard of him in a while. What a fantastic CBB player. Really thought he'd carve out a role in the league.

OremLK likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

OremLK likes this.
  14. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's an understatement......

OremLK likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Are you saying that for example last year every single mock draft had Jabari 1st. All the betting markets until 24 hours before had Jabari going to the Magic. That perhaps DD does not know definitively what the Rocket's real opinion on Scoot or any of the prospects in the draft truly is?

I mean cmon we both need to be logical here and accept what truly makes sense.

16. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I've been thinking of Amen and how his archetype fares in the NBA, the point forward with questionable/bad shooting skills.
    These guys all come to mind (since 2000):

Ben Simmons
    Draymond Green
    Evan Turner
    Lamar Odom

If you want to include big (6'5"+) guards in the list:
    Lonzo Ball
    MCW
    Josh Giddey
    Markelle Fultz (look at his FT% in college if you don't believe me)
    Lance Stephenson
    Shaun Livingston

From that list, I count three all stars, a likely future all star in Giddey, and five total busts (Simmons might branch both caragories depending on who you ask).
    The best single season in that mix probably being the season where Draymond Green shot 37% from three somehow.
    What's really going against Amen is that aside from Ben Simmons, he may be the single worst shooter of the bunch, and despite Ben's productivity, he's been an utter liability in the postseason.

I would include Giannis in the list, but if teams knew he would grow to 6'11" from 6'9" he'd likely go top 3 in that draft at worst, and at that point I consider him more of a big than a wing, and not applicable to Thompson.

This has to be one of the most volatile draft archetypes I've seen.

Invisible Fan and robbie380 like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

"James Edward Harden is eligible to sign with the Houston Rockets for four seasons and in excess of two hundred million dollars."

"ESPN’s Brian Windhorst is reporting that Philadelphia doesn’t want to give him a max contract, and is moving on."

"James Harden will be thirty four years old at the start of the next season and has averaged an impressive 37 minutes a game over the last 11 seasons, the most in the NBA during that period."

[​IMG]

"James Harden has missed over 100 games in the last three seasons and has been injured in the playoffs two of the last three seasons."

"Those around the league have expressed skepticism that a back court of James Harden and Jalen Green is viable defensively."

[​IMG]

18. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Every thread I read has barely anything about the title in said feed. WHATS THE POINT OF ALL THIS ANYWAY?!

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Im wondering if the Blazers could actually fall in Love with Ausar? Maybe down the line he plays more PF for them?

The more and more I think about it I think the narrative around Houston wanting a top three tech revolves around the concept of them liking Victor, Scoot or Amen. We really just need to hope that Miller goes in the top three.

I like Miller fine but want him least. I actually probably have him 6th now behind Victor, Scoot, Twins and Cam Whitmore.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Huh? Deáaron Fox?

He shot barely above 20% from 3 in college and still only shoots about 30% from 3 for his career in the NBA....... and Fox is a little shorter, with a smaller wingspan and not as good a shooter. That is a closer comparison than anyone on your list.

Jalen Brown shoot sub 30% from 3 while at Cal........ DeJonte Murray was also below 30% from 3 in college....... RJ Barrett was similarly as bad .... Anthony Edwards was a poor shooter as well....Tyrese Maxey? .....Scottie Barnes? Jeremy Sochan? Jimmy Butler was a horrific three point shooter early in his college career...

There are many, many others....... truth be told a lot of players coming into the NBA are poor outside shooters. Some of them don't improve, but the overwhelming majority of them do improve, but it is a question of how much...... most of those in the high lottery improved enough to still be a strong asset, and some never become passable but are still valuable players (Fox).

I cannot promise that Amen Thompson will ever become a strong 3 point shooter - in fact if i had to guess, he will likely be in the 32-25% range in a few years. That is the range that players like Luka, Harden and others land. It isn't good but it is good enough.

Also, Amen Thompson isn't really a forward - he is a natural point guard with excellent size and a 7'0" wingspan.