1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Gilbert is lefthanded, and any lefthanded OFer would make a massive difference on this team right now if they can even be slightly above average against RHP. Neither Chaz nor Meyers have shown any ability to hit righties well, although Meyers has looked better recently. If Brantley came back as well our outfield/DH would be extremely productive, and crazy flexible to pinch hit late.

Ease Gilbert in as a platoon guy before unleashing him fully next season. That's of course if the team thinks he's ready.

2. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would be odd for a World Series contending team to sell a major league player for prospects, but considering the lack of infield depth in our system and our glut of outfielders organization-wide - I would consider trading Chas for a couple upside minor league infielders, call up Drew Gilbert and roll with Jake as the near full time CF. Gilbert can platoon at CF, play LF when Yordan DHs and/or DH. I'd probably also send down Julks + call up Loperfido and see what we have there too.

3. Screaming Fist

It is nearly June and Jake Meyers has more WAR than Kyle Tucker in spite of playing less.

13 in 33, No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Tucker has neen a slow starter but also is having a down defensive season. Defensive metrics and stats can ge very inconsistent.

Plus CF is a WAR magnet position and corner OF positions are not.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

With those 4 as a given, my preference:
    Tucker (speed and OBP)
    Altuve
    Alvarez
    Bregman

Lefties receive the most PAs while facing more righties normally. Also, not bad against lefties.

Alternative is to switch Bregman and Altuve due to Altuve's SLG in exchange for speed at the second slot.

6. Screaming Fist

If Tucker could play CF as well as Jake he would be an MVP candidate, although I agree Tucker should hit better going forward. Interestingly, Jake's expected wOBA this month is nearly .400. He's having by far the best month of his career.

7. HeyBudLetsParty

The idea of converting LMJ into a relief pitcher has long been discussed, but hasn’t made sense up until now. He’s got 3 remaining years on his contract left. If they think it will keep him healthy for the entire season, I think I’d rather have him for 60 innings out of the pen then potentially 110 as a part time starter.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If the front office thinks Gilbert is ready to be a star AND they still expect Brantley to come back and be a quality everyday hitter, AND another team is willing to give up material value for Meyers or McCormick, then it wouldn’t be unheard of to see a trade like that. Hell, the Astros have essentially traded their previous 2 starting CF mid-season in Siri and Straw.

I just don’t see another team valuing either Meyers or McCormick enough to make a trade like that worthwhile, on top of how unlikely I think it is that they are ready to bring up Gilbert and count on Brantley.

I don’t think the front office wants to be an injury away from having Julks (or Dirden or Leon) on the playoff roster.

torque likes this.
  9. raining threes

Why is it horrible.

Both Alvarez and Tucker hit lefties better than anybody on the team.

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

All of the thump is condensed. The opposite of a long lineup.

11. raining threes

If Brantley makes it back, Julks being on the playoff roster wont be an issue, even if McCormick/Meyers were to be traded. Even better if Gilbert is ready. I dont expect any trades or Gilbert being called up will happen until after the All Star break. Gotta find a starter (Brown/France etc... have never thrown as many innings as they will throw this year even if a trade is made) Also need to go out and get a top tier reliever.

12. xcrunner51

A starter would be nice, but just for some cheap Odo level innings. If Both Quidy and LMJ really can make it back by the break I could see skipping Hunter a few times here and there to keep him fresh for the playoff's. France/Bielak/Blanco/Whitley.... odds are they're not going to be on the playoff roster anyway so ride 'em and then rotate 'em out.

Unless they're gifted a top reliever by someone, I don't see them burning alot of chips on the pen. Pressley/Abreu/Neris are solid and if Montero rounds back into a functional form that's a great back 4 with Maton/Stanek looking at low leverage innings.

13. raining threes

You should try to get your best hitters as many AB's as possible.

Altuve
    Bregs because he walks alot
    Alvarez
    Tucker.

Those are your best hitters and they should be getting the most AB's. What gets me is right now this team if offensively challenged and would you have rather had your condensed pop yesterday with RISP, (Tucker) or have Abreu up there with two outs?

14. raining threes

It shouldn't be that expensive to get a guy like Giolito, a guy I wouldn't have an issue with him starting a game #2-3 in a playoff series. Remember this, we dont know how well LMJ is going to throw the ball or if he can stay healthy when he gets back. I'm willing to give up more in prospects for a guy like Giolito as insurance for LMJ or other injuries to the pitching staff, rather than trading for an Odo type guy.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  15. xcrunner51

I don't necessarily disagree with your logic, but think the best hitter/ most PA's argument is a little over blown. Tucker hitting 4 vs 5th in the lineup is roughly 16 PA's over an entire season. I dunno how much that tips the argument when the Astros have had plenty of success with Tucker in the 5-hole too. The problems is the Astros just don't have enough good hitters right now. If say Brantley were hitting 2nd and Bregman 4th between Yordan and Tucker, that'd be moot.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

My gut tells me that McCormick will be traded this year.

17. xcrunner51

Uh, define inexpensive. Giolito is pitching well and could absolutely start in a playoff game.... and that's not gonna come cheap.

An Odo type guy to soak up some regular season innings might only cost you a A ball prospect.

18. raining threes

What do you think a Giolito rental would cost? I'm thinking Leon/McCormick/Santos for Giolito would be fair.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Baker needs to sit Tucker's ass down and play Myers then.

Am I doing it right?

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Drastic overpay. McCormick is worth more than Giolito.