1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Standing Reach vs Wingspan

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RC Cola, May 19, 2023.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Which is more valuable, standing reach or wingspan? Does it depend on the role?

I asked this during RocketsWatch, and I think everyone said wingspan (or perhaps that they're both nearly the same). But that didn't really make sense to me. I do understand these 2 numbers are related and generally the difference is minimal if not non-existent. But in some cases, there are some big differences.

I brought this up in context of Jarace Walker as there is some debate about the positions he can play. Many people say he can play the 5 because he has a 7'2" wingspan. That is a fantastic wingspan, but with his 6' 6.5" height, his reach is "only" 8' 8.5" (according to combine measurements). Guys like Cam Whitemore and the Thompson Twins are within an inch of that standing reach, and they seem more like perimeter players. Some other names of players with longer reaches include Timme, Kris Murray, both J Williams, Dyson Daniels, Taylor Hendricks, Tari Eason, Scottie Barnes, etc. (some are only an inch or so, while others are several inches). Of course, you have freaks like Mark Williams @ 9'9" (over a foot longer than Jarace's reach), and a Walker Kessler is at 9'5". I wish I had numbers for Sengun and Garuba (as a direct Rockets comparison), but I don't think they have official reach or wingspan numbers. :( If the reported numbers on Google are right, I'd assume their standing reach is in the same ballpark as Jarace, or maybe a few inches bigger.

Now Jarace is huge (and mostly muscle I assume), and he has some crazy vertical leaping numbers IIRC (especially standing vertical leap). Obviously he managed to collect a good number of blocks and rebounds in college, and all of that is likely way more important than his standing reach number. I don't know his "defended FG at rim" numbers, but guessing they're pretty good too. Someone like Draymond Green has similar measurements, and I'm guessing Jarace is stronger and more athletic, so he could for sure make it work as a "small" 5 in the NBA.

Having said all of that, if Jarace *does* end up having the lateral quickness (and shooting ability) to play the 3 full-time (not just switching), now he's suddenly a defensive monster (he's possibly an offensive monster too, for other reasons). I think for perimeter defense (where you're playing the passing lanes, swallowing up defenders, sticking out your arm to contest shots, etc), I do think wingspan is more important than standing reach in this role. Combine him with a guy that has a more traditional "big" standing reach, and I think your defense will be...pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

But OK...this isn't really a Jarace Walker thread. I don't care if you think he is a 3, 4, 5, or 6. I mostly added all this for context of the discussion about wingspan vs standing reach as it seems like there might be some confusion about those numbers. Putting it here in the NBA Draft sub-forum, maybe it can be revisited in future years when 2 players have similar wingspans but very different standing reach numbers.

What are your thoughts about wingspan, standing reach, or other (um NBA-related) measurements?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think there are different ways to think about it, but I've always thought standing reach was more important for guys that play in the post and wingspan is more important for guys guarding around the perimeter (though the latter can be important for anybody when you think about it). Standing reach to me is what you look for when you go up and try to block a shot (along with vertical leap). A long wingspan helps defend passing lanes and makes the offensive player possibly doubt his first step a bit because he knows Kawhi's arms/hands may be long enough to poke that ball away if he doesn't do it right.

Jarace is effectively 6'7.5"-6'8" in shoes (since nobody plays barefoot), but he also plays defense, is built like a tank, and is still learning basketball and may still be growing. Jarace's wingspan-to-height ratio is silly, though. There are a lot of guys gifted with great wingspans and standing reaches that don't necessarily make them great defenders/players.

sydmill, Buck Turgidson and RC Cola like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

This seems very correct and basic to me. I would add that vertical reach helps perimeter players contest shots on the perimeter, and wingspan helps in the post to deflect entry passes (the reach-around) without fouling.

RC Cola likes this.
  4. VoR

VoR Member

Both are valuable. Standing reach is very valuable in positionless basketball. Wingspan is great for steals and draping defense but can be difficult for developing a strong jump shot.

RC Cola likes this.