1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This day (week, month etc) in Astros history

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Wulaw Horn, May 19, 2023.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

One of the fun things about starting an Astros podcast is we decided we wanted to talk about Astros history some. What’s cool is when you dig in you often find that:
    A) you learned something cool about a guy you didn’t know; or
    B) your perception of a guy or event was all wrong; or
    C) someone was way better than you thought/knew they were; or
    D) you remembered a guy really fondly and really liked him but you can’t find out why that was so.

I’m 44 and have been an Astros fan since 1990 when I moved to Houston- so 33 years. I was a baseball fan since I was 5 but wasn’t rooting for Mike Scott or Nolan Ryan or Glenn Davis but rather against them as I lived in the San Francisco Area and was a big Giants fan, but have been pretty locked into the Astros since then.
    Yesterday my Podcast partner did the this week in Astros history and it was Billy Doran. He was much better than I knew or remembered. Then, we jumped in on Bagwell (even though he’s in the HOF he’s still underrated IMO) and Oswalt (really really good).
    It was fun.

it made me think this might be a fun thread for a this day or this week in Astros history and spark some nostalgia and talk about older guys. I’d love to hear, for example, some of you olds talk about JR Richards or Cruz or Cedneo or the like occasionally. Anyway- if you’ve got a historical astros note that’s topical I’d love to read about it/talk about it here.

2. Buck Turgidson

On May 19 , 1968 – Astros take no prisoners in a doubleheader sweep at Los Angeles, 2-1 and 3-1. In the nightcap, while walking down to first, Jim Wynn points out a snake in the basepath. Coach Mel McGaha gets a bat and beats the viper to death. Denny Lemaster and Mike Cuellar hypnotize the Dodgers with complete-game victories.

https://thisdayinbaseball.com/this-day-in-baseball-may-19/

3. msn

msn Member

A great resource for this was at astrosdaily.com for years. ...checking... Yup, it's still there

May 19

2006 - After losing three at home to the Giants by a combined 34-5 and getting two suspensions, the Astros appear in a free-fall until Adam Everett delivers a three-run double off Joaquin Benoit in the bottom of the eighth to topple the Texas Rangers, 5-3. Brad Lidge, who had temporarily lost his closer role, returns to nail down his 12th save. Chad Qualls gets the win after rescuing Roy Oswalt from a bases-loaded jam in the seventh. The day was a 20th Anniversary tribute to the division-winning 1986 Astros, made sweeter by a comeback win befitting that club.
    1995 - A grand slam by Tony Eusebio keys a seven-run uprising as Houston pummels Montreal, 10-2. Jeff Bagwell had earlier provided a two-run blast off Pedro Martinez.
    1989 - Mike Scott pitches seven innings of no-hit ball before Glenn Wilson singles to break it up. It is Pittsburgh's only hit in a 3-0 Houston triumph, the third one-hitter of Scott's career. Houston had tried to trade for Wilson earlier in the month but reached a snag when Alan Ashby, whom the Pirates wanted, vetoed the deal. Ashby is released soon afterwards.
    1985 - Jim Pankovits raps four hits, including a double and a home run, to pace a 7-3 victory over St. Louis. Enos Cabell and Alan Ashby also go deep.
    1968 - Astros take no prisoners in a doubleheader sweep at Los Angeles, 2-1 and 3-1. In the nightcap, while walking down to first, Jim Wynn points out a snake in the basepath. Coach Mel McGaha gets a bat and beats the viper to death. Denny Lemaster and Mike Cuellar hypnotize the Dodgers with complete-game victories.

Bregatron and Wulaw Horn like this.
  4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

What is the podcast called?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. msn

msn Member

Forgot to credit Bob Hulsey for compiling all this.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I do not remember the Colt 45s, but I do remember the up and coming kid named Cedeno and Rodger Metzger at SS. I did not realize the 72 team was as deep as it was. I believe that was our first above 500 team.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Great thread !!

Has there ever been a daily Astros birthday and/or memoriam thread?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I was just reading that. Also read one about Fredbird tackling an Astro and him getting hurt and the teams throwing down. Things were…different back then kids.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep. That’s the one I found and have been reading.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Breathing orange fire, a Houston Astros podcast.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Not that I’m aware of. If there was and I’ve never noticed it then it wasn’t super active.

12. Buck Turgidson

There is now.

Happy Birthday to Ronnie Dawson, Alan Zinter, and Alan Knicely

msn likes this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Great thread !!
    Any interest?

I don't know what kind of commitment I can make for keeping it updated daily but I would be willing to do much of the heavy lifting and post probably 5-7 days per week.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m certainly game to check in almost daily. I like this kind of stuff and like it more the older I get.

IdStrosfan likes this.