1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

The Suns would suit his style more than the 76ers. I honestly don't think Harden likes passing it to Embiid so he can pump fake it and hit the mid-range most plays. Harden needs a traditional center who can cut to the basket and just put it in the basket quickly. Embiid typically drops back an awful lot for the mid-range. When we think about it, the last traditional center has played with is Capela.... and I guess Claxton.

What makes me laugh is.... before the Celtics series, most 76ers fans were saying they wanted to max Harden out and loved him to death (especially after game 1 and game 4 against the Celtics). Now they want him gone because they lost a series to the heavily favored Celtics who most people predicted to win in 5 or 6 games anyway. Also, Harden has been playing on an Achilles injury for the past 5 months or so... and Embiid has been injured if we're being fair to Embiid, and Embiid was injured last playoffs. The 76ers have never had a healthy team in the playoffs.

The 76ers fans should be careful what they wish for. They're going to lose one of the best playmakers in the league who can still get you 20-plus points a game.... when he's sacrificing his own game to suit Embiid's. Yes, they would have Maxey.... but Maxey can't run the point for ****. And to be honest, I think Harden has made Embiid a better player. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a much better Harden next season. As I said, be careful what you wish for you 76ers fans.

riko likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Taiwan, we have liftoff!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Dwight is trolling those guys. A super team in Taiwan. How exciting!

waytookrzy079, Rudyc281 and J.R. like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They need a super team just to beat Jeremy Lin.

Caesar and Easy like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

if Harden went to to Taiwan and got a passport - he would be the greatest Taiwanese-American player of all time, easily.

Sucks to be you, Jeremy.

But otherwise, hilarious as hell.

Easy and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Did Reeko acknowledge ANY of my points? But I'm acting like a child? I get that all of you Harden only fans want him back over what is best for the team. People act REAL emotional whenever you make a point that counters their narrative about James Harden on this board. If Tilman and Stone decided to bring James Harden back, fine. But to sit up here and act like resigning James Harden is the BEST move we could possibly make this off-season at PG is crazy and it shows your lack of loyalty to the team. To ridicule someone for not wanting James Harden back when people on this board have given you a plethora of reasons why THEY feel it's a bad idea is not right. But now you Harden only fans want to talk about acknowledgment? The nerve of you...

Mathloom likes this.
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

One side offers facts and stats while the other flings insults like bum and loser and throws hissy fits. Who is emotional?

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-intel-james-harden-doc-rivers-sixers-rockets-nets-frank-vogel/

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Pete Coldcut

Pete Coldcut Member

Trying to see this in analytical terms, which is hard when we have a lot of history with Harden, some of it frustrating. First series of questions pertains to Harden's market value: is he a max level player right now, and is he likely to remain a max level player for the duration of his contract (assume 4 years)? I think the answer to the first question is clearly yes, whatever his flaws in the playoffs, and the answer to the second is probably not, but the odds are not as bad as people think (he'd be 37 in his last year, roughly the age Chris Paul began his most recent extension). And those odds improve the more he acts as a true PG rather than the complete offense, which is what people would prefer anyway.

Second series of questions is cap space. I'm no capologist, but this year we have like $62 million in space. Assume we sign James and draft Victor. That eats up pretty much everything right there. Maybe $5 million to spare. Next year we opt out of the contracts of Tate and Porter. That frees up like $22 million, plus the spare $5 million. That puts us within plausible range of a second max slot right, the year before the first round of rookie extensions (if any) kick in. So next offseason we could maybe pull off a sign and trade for Jaylen Brown with only one of Sengun or Green. I think under the new CBA, we can still go over the cap for rookie extensions, so we should be good to re-up whatever 3 of Bari, Vic, Green, and Sengun make sense, particularly since Vic's extension would kick in after Harden's contract ends. Again, not totally certain if this all adds under the new CBA, but I think it is directionally accurate, and seems like a good situation. Like multi-year-championship-window good, if the rookies develop.

Last question is roster fit. Seems amazing to me if we can pitch James as more of a PG/facilitator. Dude has the best court vision in the league. Let's accept the argument that he is prone to duds in the playoffs, particularly in clutch games. Is there any other move we could make this offseason that would even put us in the position to BE in the playoffs within the next two years? The only way we get Brown is by gutting the roster, since Boston has him under contract. And no other free agent moves the needle. Van Vleet? Cmon.

So I'm all in on the return.

DatRocketFan likes this.
  10. Pete Coldcut

Pete Coldcut Member

Trying to see this in analytical terms, which is hard when we have a lot of history with Harden, some of it frustrating. First series of questions pertains to Harden's market value: is he a max level player right now, and is he likely to remain a max level player for the duration of his contract (assume 4 years)? I think the answer to the first question is clearly yes, whatever his flaws in the playoffs, and the answer to the second is probably not, but the odds are not as bad as people think (he'd be 37 in his last year, roughly the age Chris Paul began his most recent extension). And those odds improve the more he acts as a true PG rather than the complete offense, which is what people would prefer anyway.

Second series of questions is cap space. I'm no capologist, but this year we have like $62 million in space. Assume we sign James and draft Victor. That eats up pretty much everything right there. Maybe $5 million to spare. Next year we opt out of the contracts of Tate and Porter. That frees up like $22 million, plus the spare $5 million. That puts us within plausible range of a second max slot right, the year before the first round of rookie extensions (if any) kick in. So next offseason we could maybe pull off a sign and trade for Jaylen Brown with only one of Sengun or Green. I think under the new CBA, we can still go over the cap for rookie extensions, so we should be good to re-up whatever 3 of Bari, Vic, Green, and Sengun make sense, particularly since Vic's extension would kick in after Harden's contract ends. Again, not totally certain if this all adds under the new CBA, but I think it is directionally accurate, and seems like a good situation. Like multi-year-championship-window good, if the rookies develop.

Last question is roster fit. Seems amazing to me if we can pitch James as more of a PG/facilitator. Dude has the best court vision in the league. Let's accept the argument that he is prone to duds in the playoffs, particularly in clutch games. Is there any other move we could make this offseason that would even put us in the position to BE in the playoffs within the next two years? The only way we get Brown is by gutting the roster, since Boston has him under contract. And no other free agent moves the needle. Van Vleet? Cmon.

So I'm all in on the return.

11. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I would disagree. Both sides are offering facts. That's not hard to see if you are truly being objective. Harden does shrink in big games and is going to eat a lot of our cap space. FACTS... Harden is the best possible free agent on the market this off-season for a position of need for the Rockets. FACTS...

cbass likes this.
  12. Landry's Tooth

Hear me out...

Tell me which of these starting 5s loses a lot of games...

Harden
    Jaylen Brown
    Jabari Smith
    Wembanyama
    Sengun

Dejounte Murray
    James Harden
    Jabari Smith
    Wembanyama
    Sengun

James Harden
    Kevin Porter Jr
    Kawhi Leondard
    Jabari Smith
    Sengun / Wembanyama

Scoot Henderson
    Zach Lavine
    Grant Williams
    Jabari Smith
    Sengun

Point is there are a lot of possibilities and we don't yet know what the chances are..

Will the Bulls or Clippers reset? Green and a 1st round pick is a solid offer for either Kawhi or Lavine when considering cap relief.

We should have 2 or 3 new starters with a new coach. To me that says it shouldn't be a surprise to be a playoff team and then some pretty quick... just takes the right guys.

13. Landry's Tooth

Don't know why both can't be done.

KPJ, Green, and Tate would be about 31 million. That works under the cap for Brown prior to his new extension.

That would be:

31.8 Brown
    9.2 Jabari Smith
    3.5 Sengun
    3.5 Eason
    2.5 Garuba
    2.5 Christopher
    2.3 Washington
    1.9 Martin

So a total of 57.2 million for 8 players.

Capholds for our picks are 9.9 and 2.9.

That puts us at 70 million.

2023 cap is 134 million according to spotrac.

So they would have 64 million..

45 for Harden, 15 for Grant Williams, and then 4 million for a backup PG or Center depending what we do.

If we trade the other pick in a Brown deal we free up 2.5 million more.

Then you give Jaylen and KJ Martin their extensions into luxury tax...

Jabari becomes the next significant extension 3 years from now, about the time Harden's deal falls off...

14. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Since there is no benefit to losing this time around at least the Rockets will make an attempt to win every game. Watching players dance, smile and generally have a party on the sideline when we are 30 points behind drives me crazy. Hopefully new coach instills a winning mentality.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

“Harden does shrink in big games” actually that’s an opinion not a fact

16. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

End of the conversation...

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U asked for evidence he gave u evidence and your response was yawn. If that's not being a child idk what is.

18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Point about one side being overly emotional made. :)

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yes let’s trade away our future for a player that can’t stay on the court (kawhi) and an overpaid Lavine. The Green haters can be really silly sometimes.

cbass likes this.
  20. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Oh I'm not emotional about this conversation at all LOL. I just think what you're saying is silly and a total waste of my time as well as yours. I'm not here to go back and forward with you on something that is blatantly obvious.