1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

They will sign Harden if he wants, from a business perspective returning to national relevance, merchandising and playoffs is too lucrative. Hopefully it’s 2-3 year instead of 4 year deal.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

I’m sick of this generic other paths folks like you claim. Name these other paths then this off-season thats viable and realistic.

the same thing we see that gets his team into the playoffs literally every year. Oh and low and behold this team desperately needs a pg who’s proven to lead his teams into the postseason oh and who our kids have all spent off-season time with. It’s been beaten to death in this thread.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Elimination game James.

welcome back and help us make the play in. No elimination games to worry about

BigShasta likes this.
  4. Socrates

Socrates Member

Yeah but we'll have no hope of winning the play in since it's an elimination game.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sign some vets.

Make some trades.

Duh.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

theiss is available again. Hope they sign him to another great deal when nobody else would. He isn’t doing anything. He was in the stands watching the game today. Might as well bring EG back too

7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Answer the question - what is Harden going to do that will teach the others how to win? Having them stand around while he iso balls isn’t going to teach them anything other than selfishness and how to be passive. Having him stand at the logo scratching his junk when someone else has the ball is not going to teach them anything at all. That’s how Harden had always played basketball and I don’t see any signs this would change if he returned to Houston.

Winning basketball comes from either overwhelming individual greatness or a collective selflessness and chemistry (or a balance of the two). The problem with the former is that it isn’t teachable. So given that Harden’s success has come entirely from the former category, I don’t see how he’s going to teach the young players anything. Sure, they’ll win a few more games, but it’s just a bandaid. And when that bandaid is eventually pulled off Harden retires), the same problems will remain.

Most importantly, signing Harden is not the only veteran who can help establish a winning culture. Are the other vets (FVV, Middleton, Brook Lopez, HBarnes just to name a few) as individually talented? No, but they all have championship experience and thus winning cultures. I see that as far more valuable than Harden’s center of the universe history.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Questions been answered to death in this thread. That’s why I’m sick of see the genric other ways options posts like yours.

Why tf would any of those names look at Houston especially coming from where they’re coming from. And if harden is apparently what you say he is none of those names come close to doing any better. He’s by far the most significant player available

9. xaos

xaos Member

Great post!!

10. a time to chill

11. larsv8

- Where to stand
    - What to look for in the half court
    - How to draw fouls
    - Footwork
    - Put them into a position to play meaningful basketball games.
    - How to navigate pick and rolls effective
    - How to setup good spacing
    - Prioritizing weak defenders and how to effectively switch onto them.
    - How to manufacture the efficient shots
    - Post defense
    - He will take the pressure off Green from being double / triple teamed.

The Harden doesn't play winning basketball, plays the wrong arguments are so laughably terrible. His game changed on the USA team, it was different in Brooklyn, and it was different in Philly.

12. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

As a fan base, you want the Rockets do anything in their power to make this team a championship contender. Many want an overnight turnaround which is not realistic - with or without Harden.

The positives with Harden is that he will 1) help win tons of games 2) give this young team a taste at the playoffs 3) make all the players more efficient offensively

The negatives with Harden is that he will 1) pass bad habits to the young core 2) tie up a ton of cap space and prevent other, potentially major signings (I dont know how many major players would be lining up to play with him now) 3) can't teach players how to be clutch when it counts most 4) doesn't help move the defensive needle forward - even tho his defense is largely underrated.

Bottom line for me - it's not champion or bust. Just freakin show up for the big games. Harden has let the fan base down time and time again with not only his subpar performances, but just seeming like he's mentally checked out when it matters most.

Using today's game as example - you see your team is struggling offensively. And you're one of the best scorers in the NBA, and you only get up 11 shots?

#2252 waytookrzy079, May 14, 2023
    Last edited: May 14, 2023
  13. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Respectfully, that's a super lazy thought process bro. James Harden is not the only viable option we have. We have a new CBA and teams are up against it. It's Stones job to figure this out, not fan's on a random message board. All everyone is saying is Stone needs to unturn every stone (no pun intended) this off-season.

14. larsv8

Please allow me to speak for @YOLO

What are these viable options you speak of?

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

It isn’t lazy. Because I’ve literally talked about this to death in this thread.you not following this thread enough is your own issue

16. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

Exactly. Some folks only worried about this upcoming season when next summer will have a bigger and better FA class to drop 45 mil + on.

subtomic and Htown's Finest like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

The funny thing is people complain he would take too many shots. Now complaining he doesnt shoot enough.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Wrong. What a false assumption

19. larsv8

Please tell me what free agent is guaranteed to come here next off season and is worth just completely throwing away the upcoming season.

BMoney and YOLO like this.
  20. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Did you read the entire post or just skim through it without grasping the full context? It's not my job or anyone's job on this board to figure this out. I don't get paid to do Stone's job. But if you honestly think Harden is the ONLY option then you are wrong. Harden might be the best move of the off-season for us but Stone needs to explore what else is out there.