1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Panic Button Time - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, May 9, 2023.

?

Panic Time????

1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    39.5%
  3. STFU

26 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

All it takes is one of them to be healthy and lucky to make things interesting down the stretch. Maybe panic isn't the right word, but this season looks like the division race will last a lot longer than it did last year as it is doubtful 3 teams fall apart like the Angels did last season.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The Astros lost the World Series to these two teams:

Washington Nationals record after games on 5/8/2019: 14-22
    Atlanta Braves record after games on 5/8/2021: 16-17

#22 marks0223, May 9, 2023
    Last edited: May 9, 2023
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Panic? No. Take some sort of action? Yep!

IBTL likes this.
  4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Maybe a tombstone on the Athletic will motivate the team.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Panic? Nah. Too early and a lot can happen still. Having said that, they can't be stubborn and assume it will all be fine because this isn't a very good team right now.

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think the Astros should have added a catcher in the offseason.

Other than that, I LOVED the moves.

It's totally fickle to complain about the off season signings now because they didn't work out. At the time they were reasonable and reason to celebrate.

The team has no choice but to keep Abreu and Montero on the roster and hope they can turn it around.

It would be reasonable to reduce their roles and responsibilities though.

I could see Abreu being reduced to 67-75% starter in favor of Brantley or a trade acquisition and dropped to 6th or 7th in the order

I could see Montero dropped out of high leverage situations in favor of Maton.

Of course both of them have the talent to go on a run the rest of the season as a top producer. It's just getting less likely by the week.

ryan_98 and Major like this.
  7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Not in panic mode, but worried. Team seems to always find a way to put it together at the end.

You have to almost expect a down year at some point. They've had an amazing 6 year run. 6 times to the ALCS, 2 WS wins, and even a redemption 2022 World Series that we'll always have for those that talk trash about 2017. If the inevitable decline is starting I'm content.

CrazyJoeDavola and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't blame Brown at all for not stepping in and making Dusty change anything.

1) the team just won the World Series doing exactly as Dusty is right now. There are no new complaints that I didn't hear last season.

2) He has a job because the last GM tried to change things instead of letting things continue as they were before he was hired.

If I'm Brown, I let Dusty manage, try to find good value acquisitions that help the team, and then let / convince Dusty to retire in the offseason so I can start implementing some things I want.

raining threes likes this.
  9. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

2005 baby!

lnchan and Htown Legend like this.
  10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

lmfao.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not yet, but getting close. I will wait until 30 days after Brantley and Altuve get back before I start panicking. Our potential lineup at full health should provide enough offense. I just need to stay close to the leaders of the division because I don't want to play a wildcard game.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I see a lot of people want Dana Brown to step in and do something.

What should he do? Diaz hasn't played enough, but it isn't like he is setting the world on fire - his OPS isn't much more than what Maldonado has so far this year.

We just saw the Cardinals pitching staff revolt against Wilson Contreras, and they are in turmoil.

It has been a little over a month, I expect Brown to give Baker the opportunity to compete with McCormick and Brantley playing.

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I won't panic with this team.

They turn it on when it matters.

I will panic if they aren't in the playoff race in September.

This team has never played well without Altuve. He is one of the best players in baseball.

Their 4 hole is off to a abnormally cold start.

Bregman off to a cold start...

Yordan... off to a cold start.

It will turn around.

14. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

I’ll say ‘No’ because it’s still early and this franchise has earned the benefit of the doubt. When a dynasty has had the kind of sustained success the Astros have had, sometimes your biggest problem is regular season complacency. But it’s also possible that the loss of Verlander and the failure to launch of Abreu could lead to one big step backwards for the franchise.

15. Pringles

Pringles Member

No. We managed with Yuli playing below average all season last season. I hope Baker Moves Areau down the lineup if he doesn't find his groove by June.

We aren't as healthy as we were last year but will be getting back Brantley, Altuve, and McCullers.

I would like to see Diaz play more as well as trading for a fifth starter. We just need to get into the playoffs relatively healthy.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Just enjoy the games until then memorial day. At that point, we can start worrying about personnel. This team is as solid as they come.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

fify

19. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Hopefully, this won't be a lost year. Offense should be fine once Altuve and Brantley get back. But we need to stay within 8 games or so of first in the division once McCullers and Urquidy get back. We need those guys back because Hunter, Bielak and France will throw too many 4 inning games, which will tax our bullpen. Bullpen will crater if those guys are pitching 15 innings over those three guys starts. Heck, even McCullers and Urquidy throw a lot of pitches to get through five innings. But if we get both of those guys back we could move France or Bielak (or both) into tandem-type starters/relievers.

20. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Nevermind, deleated post