1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Saddest **** I ever seen. We're with you William...

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

looks like the shooter purchased his guns legally via the private seller loophole

was kicked out of the military after a brief stint due to concerns over his mental health combined with his hateful views on social media don't matter when it comes to getting hands on a weapon

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

These clowns talk about mental health and then turn around and vote to ban the social security administration from sharing mental health data with the FBI background check system. That was literally one of the first things Republicans did in 2017 when they took control of the government.

ROCKSS and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

That loophole should be the first thing to go...

ROCKSS likes this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its interesting how the people who know the least about gun culture seem to have the most opinions. You have clearly conveniently forgotten and/or ignored my opinions in gun discussions. As I don't deem fantasies so, it doesn't make me a extreme gun supporter.

over 30 years of hostile gun reform and nothing has happened. Read the room. Politicians openly talking about gun bans and gun confiscations is the fastest way to bring gun reform to a halt. And right behind that is gun registration.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am only responding to your glib "guns don't kill people" comment above. If you want to have a more nuanced discussion, then make more nuanced comments.

30 years of HOSTILE gun reform? There's been 30 years of NOTHING. Read the room? 70% of this country wants something done, yet the NRA blocks anything. If you want to keep guns legal, the NRA crowd can't fight against everything because the country will reach a breaking point and ban guns if they don't start letting logic start seeping in.

ROCKSS and dobro1229 like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When it's a Neo-Nazi - the problem is mental health.

LET'S address mental health!!!

How?

By Addressing it with thoughts and prayers!!!! All we need to do is bring the 10 commandments back in school and problem solved!!!

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

well-regulated militia

https://www.wafb.com/2023/05/08/lou...teen-in-back-head-while-she-played-hide-seek/
    May. 8, 2023

A Louisiana man has been arrested after allegedly shooting a 14-year-old girl in the back of her head

Upon investigating the incident, detectives say that several juveniles were playing hide and seek in the area and were hiding on the neighbor’s property.

The 58-year-old told authorities that he saw shadows outside his home, went inside and got his firearm.

Detectives say Doyle told them that when he went back outside he saw people running away from his property and began shooting at them, unknowingly hitting the girl.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Remember when old folks of yore complaining that rap music and video games were making kids violent?

Maybe we should mandate ratings and trigger warnings* for cable news.

*As in don't pull any triggers you crazy old ****s!...But buy the stuff in our ads!

Amiga and rockbox like this.
  11. astros123

astros123 Member

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Problem could b easily solved if we copied the other nation stance on guns instead we have folks with their weird hard on for the 2nd amendment.

Guess keep sending the faux thoughts and prayers as folks get gun down in public

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seeing the victims of the Allen shooting really show what I mean that Texas is at a crisis of what it’s going to be. The victims represented a cross section of the forward looking diverse Texas with Korean Americans, Indian Americans and Hispanic Americans. The killer was driven by hate and fear of a multi ethnic world.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

meanwhile, he’s an ethnic person himself

there’s no logic with these hateful racist people

ROCKSS and rocketsjudoka like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes it’s really disturbing. I don’t know if he had a lot of self hate or just a massive disconnect in his thinking.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

We don’t need to follow other countries and will likely never get to the amount of control
    That other countries have on firearms.

What we can do is the stuff that almost everyone supports is strengthened background checks including requiring private sellers at gun shows or other venues to conduct background checks. We can further regulate the type of weapons that can be owned, we can better track weapons and who can own them.

One thing that is brought up frequently is better enforcing existing laws. I will point out though that many of the politicians who say that though also simultaneously underfund efforts to enforce existing laws and as we see in Texas are actually weakening existing laws.

None of the above violate the constitution. Beyond a constitutional questions we do need a change in our culture. This culture fetishized firearms and celebrates violence. In so many of these examples we see people reaching for lethal force out of paranoia and to settle insignificant disputes. Until we can get beyond they we’re going to see mass killings happen far too often.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is so disgusting

u saw shadows, and that was enough to go grab your gun…then as u see people running away, that’s when u start shooting at them

Why are people with guns often the biggest cowards?

superfob, Phillyrocket and ROCKSS like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I just donated and their fundraiser has already raised $1.3 million!

ROCKSS, Reeko and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

We have a history of out-group becoming in-group over time. Some groups that were once considered outsiders or minorities eventually assimilated into the dominant culture and became part of the majority, specifically in the context of whiteness. I think it's rare but not too surprising to see some in the out-group identified as white and then even go on to adopt white supremacy ideas. "Whiteness" isn't just a skin thing but also a cultural thing that changes over time. It's not just a physical characteristic but a cultural identity that evolves over time.

20. Xopher

Xopher Member

When I first read about this family the Korean Consulate was commenting so I was wondering if they were newer immigrants. Because I didn't know if William would have any family here. It looks like Kyu was an immigration lawyer and although he was born in South Korea the article I read said he was raised in Dallas. So at least it seems William has family here.