1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

u could see their bodies in the video that was circulating on social media…I hope this child gets all the help that they need, this must be so traumatizing

ElPigto and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s like they want people to die…At this point, do they get an increase in pay from the NRA per body count?

I have seen no rationale for why there should ever be open carry requiring no license or training…Normally republicans will have some sort of bullsh*t spin on their trash policies to explain them, so what is the spin for this? Like if I’m a moderate, independent, or not involved in politics whatsoever, how are u explaining to me the benefits of stuff like this being legal?

ROCKSS likes this.
  4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Unbelievable...

ROCKSS and IBTL like this.
  5. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

It is legal in Texas too

ROCKSS likes this.
  6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

yet totally believable.

7. Buck Turgidson

I want to say things yet I have nothing to say

Absolutely click the "show more"

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I hate to even say this because I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to make this about me because that is NOT what I'm trying to do, but....

I was in Plano this weekend for a wedding and the wife and I contemplated going to that mall to get the kids bathing suits because we left them at home and our hotel had a nice pool. It's about 15 minutes from our hotel. This was about 1pm on Saturday. We decided to go eat instead because there was no food being served at the reception and my kids said they were hungry and would rather eat than swim.

Didn't even know about this until I saw the newspaper in the hotel lobby on Sunday morning. Truly made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

9. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I use to live near here and still have most of my community there. One of the victims (2 kids) went to my church. This Korean family in the twitter post attended another church we’re connected with. I run a practice of therapists and much of today was spent scrambling around to get people into counseling and organizing support groups. But I know even for my therapists, this is hard for us all to process. The carnage was horrific. If you or someone you know was impacted by this we’re offering 3 sessions of crisis counseling free through our church partners at Chase Oaks Church. We’re also hosting support groups there this week and next week. PM if you need more info.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

A gun company is marketing a powerful new rifle to civilians, a report says, amid ongoing debates about gun control following a string of deadly mass shootings.

SIG Sauer's MCX-Spear is the civilian version of the US Army's NGSW-R (Next Generation Squad Weapon-Rifle), The Daily Beastreported.

The company said that the gun was "the most innovative and advanced AR platform in the world," which is a "near match" to its NGSW-R submission, which won the contract for the US Army program this year.

"The MCX-Spear was developed with direct input from US warfighters to provide more power, distance, and accuracy to replace the current M4 rifle platform," the company'swebsite says.

In a press release, Ron Cohen, president & CEO of SIG Sauer, Inc, said that the MCX-Spear going on sale was "a rare opportunity for passionate consumers to own a piece of history."

He added that the gun is chambered in 277 SIG Fury, the commercial variant of the 6.8 x 51 hybrid military round available in the company's hybrid case technology submitted to the US Army NGSW program, per the company website.

"The revolutionary SIG FURY ammunition is the most technically advanced leap in smalls arms ammunition in over 150 years, this turns your intermediate rifle platform into magnum performance without the added weight or length while still using 20-round magazines," Cohen said.

The gun can tear through body armor at extended ranges, according to The Daily Beast.

"It'll shoot through almost all of the bulletproof vests worn by law enforcement in the county right now," Ryan Busse, a former firearms company executive and senior policy analyst with the Giffords Law Center, told the outlet.

"This is a weapon that could defeat any body armor, any planned body armor that we know of in the future," then-Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley told the Army Times in 2019, per The Daily Beast. "This is a weapon that can go out at ranges that are unknown today."

The gun has become commercially available in a year that has seen a series of high-profile mass shootings around the country.

Busse told The Daily Beast that while AR-15s are lighter and more maneuverable than MCX-Spears, which might make them favorable to mass shooters in enclosed locations such as classrooms, bullets from the latter can hit much harder over greater distances.

Busse said the gun could help mass shooters become "a long-range sniper with an AR-15-style gun."

One of the dealers said that the arms manufacturer sent out 2,500 and 5,000 of the weapons, and they sold out quickly, despite the hefty manufacturer's suggested price tag of $7,999, The Daily Beast reported.

A customer service representative for SIG Sauer told the outlet that more weapons would soon be shipped to gun stores at a lower price than the "first editions" models.

"I know it's coming," the representative told the outlet. "We're trying to get these things out as fast as we can. Get as many guns as we can out the door."

A representative for Sig Sauer did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

SIG Sauer also makes the semiautomatic AR-15-style rifle used in the Orlando nightclub shooting in 2016 that left 49 people dead.

Busse told the Daily Beast that it was unsurprising to see the gunmaker marketing a civilian version of the weapon, as this would massively increase its profit margins with much lower effort.

He noted that it is often a "pain" for gun manufacturers to meet military requirements.

"What's very profitable for them is to sell that gun to the US consumers," Busse said. "Consumers don't demand the sort of on-time deliveries and all the other expensive stuff that the military does."

He noted that linking the firearm to the military was a large part of the advertising.

"It's like, 'Buy the gun that all the military special operators use…forget basic training, just become a military badass," he said.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. NewRoxFan

Someone went through a lot of work to debunk the misinformation meme that elon retweeted...

gifford1967 likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love Texas and have thought a lot about moving back but a lot of stuff that has happened recently has really made me think about it.

The food and music is great and I love that Houston is the most diverse city in the country. But Texas is at a crisis point about what it’s going to be. Is this going to be a forward looking state or is it a place that is about fear and suspicion. That fetishizes firearms and shed crocodile tears when its people are killed in multiple mass shootings a day. A place that welcomes people from all over the world while simultaneous being in fear of invasions and stigmatizing the other.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

A small glimmer of hope...

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

16. NewRoxFan

And of course... misinformation abounds when trying to deflect...

17. Buck Turgidson

VooDooPope likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It used to be a fist fight

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone wants to point the finger at something - it's video games for instance.

Reality is that guns are dangerous despite what @Space Ghost tells you.

The first step in dealing with mental health is stopping people with mental health issues from getting their hands on guns. All you have to do is require a mental health check as part of getting a gun license and make sure every gun sale is recorded both the purchaser and the buyer. Every gun tracked.

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

He didn't actually debunk anything. He doesn't deny that the graph is true (beyond complaining about how many significant digits were used, which doesn't materially change the information, it would just round off). He provides several "reasons" for why the graph is true and several statements about why it shouldn't matter, then concludes with bare speculation that there are secret unreported crimes which wouldn't follow the same patterns as those in the chart (for some reason). He also has weird data points that he is using in his "debunking" like using the mode for age instead of the mean, or even looking at the number of people in the age range he is concerned about from each group.