1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dillon Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 2, 2023.

?

Brooks a Rocket?

1. Yay

50 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. Nay

164 vote(s)
    76.6%
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He's too much of a liability. Won't shut his mouth, pushes a cameraman, picks fights unnecessarily. He makes Draymond Green look like Bryce Drew.

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Option for "hell no"?

3. R=$

R=$ Member

He has "Westbrook disease" = OVER RATED!!!

4. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

For a team in desperate need of a culture change you don't bring in a DB.

My 2

theDude likes this.
  5. mightybosstone

Because shooting percentages by themselves is a very limiting way to look at scoring efficiency. Despite those shooting percentages you posted, Brooks' career TS% average is 51.2%, which is awful. Like Jalen Green is significantly more efficient by comparison. Harden's is nearly a full 10% higher than Brooks at 60.9%, which is elite for a guard/wing.

I don't think anyone thinks Harden is an elite shooter, but he's unquestionably a better shooter than Brooks and in terms of efficiency, they couldn't be much further from each other on the spectrum.

Denovo and YOLO like this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’d bring him in for cheap if possible and promise him a competition for the starting 2 spot .

let him compete with green . If green can’t win out vs him then he deserves to know that .

7. Asian Sensation

Yes, James Harden is an excellent FT shooter that got to the line an incredible amount of times throughout his career. It is well known. Doesn’t change the fact that his actual shooting percentages from the field are 44% and 36% from 3.

The whole premise of my post was that Dillon Brooks shooting isn’t as terrible as some posters here make it out to be. It’s expected for Harden and Jalen Green to be way more efficient. Their specialty is scoring after all. So much so that former got a super max contract and the latter will likely get similar money…. Based upon you guessed it scoring. Brooks’ is a role player and his specialty is defense and a small improvement in his shooting makes him a very good 3&D player.

8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a fit for the Rockets but I don't think he's as much of a scrub as some are making him out to be. He's an above-average defender and has the ability to knock down a big shot, even though he isn't a great shooter.

9. mightybosstone

I understand what you're saying, but my point is that it's not a fair comparison to just say "look at their similar shooting percentages" in a vacuum. Shooting percentages in 2023 are not a good barometer for player production or efficiency anymore and haven't been for some time. The fact is that Brooks is a huge minus on the offensive side of the ball. He averaged 14.3 points on 13.6 shots this season, which is horrible. Like it begs the question of why Memphis let him take 14 shots a night, and it makes complete sense to me why they want him gone.

Now if he were willing to take a back seat and focus only on 3&D, he'd be a more enticing player. Because there's always a role for a great, versatile defender like that as long as they're at least competent from the 3-point line. If he's willing to be Trevor Ariza or PJ Tucker, that's a role I could get behind. But he clearly doesn't see himself that way, which is the problem. If he can't accept that he's a role player and take fewer shots, I want nothing to do with him, regardless of his attitude or off-the-court stuff.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  10. invocux

invocux Member

Good role player. Dunno why people act like he should be in China.

11. Asian Sensation

Fair enough and I agree especially with the last paragraph.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean, just to add here. Shot quality matters here, the type of threes Harden takes and at that volume, does make him an elite shooter imo.

Denovo likes this.
  13. mightybosstone

I think it depends on your definition of "elite shooter." Volume is certainly nice, and I think we'd all agree that we'd generally rather have a guy who can hit 37%-38% while taking 8-10 3-pointers a night over the role player who shoots 45% but on 3-4 attempts a game in a limited capacity. But consider that this was Harden's second higher 3-point shooting percentage of his entire career and his best year since his last season in OKC, but he was a whopping 61st in 3-point shooting percentage this year (38.5%).

It's not unheard of anymore for someone to shoot 40% on high volume. If you average Harden's per game numbers to 82 games, he would have made 230 3-pointers this season. Of the guys who made at least 200 this year, six of them averaged at least 40%. Harden would have tied for the 10th highest percentage of those 20 players. So still very good, but would I consider him elite? Not really. And that's the second greatest season of his career, percentage-wise. We all have different definitions of "elite," though. I'd consider him elite from a scoring efficiency standpoint, not necessarily as a shooter.

14. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I say no because the dude isn’t a winner. Bring some winners in here man.

15. Asian Sensation

Step back, fadeaway, 1 legged, 30 footers while shooting 36% for his career and 34% playoffs is an elite shooter?

16. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Everyone talking about Dillon Brooks like he's some cute little 3nD role player. He isn't that. He doesn't WANT to be that. That's the biggest reason Memphis let him go. It's all been reported. It's all on Twitter. Dillon Brooks took 15 shots per game and missed a looooot of them. That's 2nd most on the team. That's more than anyone on the Rockets other than Green or Porter. He's not just gonna be a good little boy in the corner. He thinks he's Kobe. Every time he touches the ball he shoots it. The attitude is annoying but it's whatever. Draymond is crazy but at he at least knows he can't shoot so he doesn't.

s3ts likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

You are not taking into account shot creation. Being able to self a generate a 3 off the dribble is extremely valuable in today's game.And even now Harden is only taking 1.8 catch and shoot 3s per game while taking 7. Shot difficulty matters. Raw percentages and volume are not the only thing that makes you an elite shooter.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  18. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

We have enough 32% 3-point shooters on the roster already.

19. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Brooks has the worst flop of all time and for that I say no!

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

Difficulty is a factor, but to me that's partly on the coach and system. Why does Green (or other Rocket players) end up having to take a difficult shot.

And as far as efficiency, volume factors in, but he should strive for league average next year. I don't think that's too much to ask, if we think player X is supposed to the be franchise guy; he should try to be at least average first.

#80 TimDuncanDonaut, May 3, 2023
    Last edited: May 3, 2023
    HP3 likes this.