1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Personal experience with Covid-19

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, May 9, 2020.

?

Do you have personal experience with Covid-19

1. I have/had Covid-19

36 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. I have an immediate family member who has/had Covid-19

33 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. I have close friends diagnosed with Covid-19

39 vote(s)
    24.5%
  4. I know someone who was diagnosed with Covid-19

69 vote(s)
    43.4%
  5. I don't personally know anyone with Covid-19

49 vote(s)
    30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

had same reaction to Pax, but it went away in a few days.

2. BleedsRocketRed

I don't know how, but I have yet to *knowingly* get COVID. I haven't been sick once since early 2020 somehow. No colds, no flu like symptoms. Nothing.

I know that its probably impossible that I have yet to actually catch it, but for me the whole ordeal has been an absolute zero for me.

To be clear, I do travel A LOT for work. I traveled on planes all of 2020-2021-2022 about 3-4 times a month. Ive gone out to bars, gatherings...everything.I legit lived my life with friends, family, travel (what was required) and all. Multiple positive exporures. Every. Single Time... Negative PCR test.

Triple vaxxed. Wore masks when required. I did my part. Weird.

#242 BleedsRocketRed, May 2, 2023
    Last edited: May 2, 2023
    basso likes this.
  3. basso

Supporting Member

this was the case for me as well, until last summer. the first two times I had it, I had no obvious symptoms at all, and only found out because I got tested as a precaution.

after I got the shots, my experience has been much worse.

4. basso

Supporting Member

interesting study highlighted in the Journal today:

Neanderthal Genes Are Linked to Severe Covid Risk
    Study in Italy’s worst pandemic hot spot sheds light on why some people fell seriously ill and others didn’t

“This study shows there is a particular section of the human genome that is significantly associated with the risk of getting Covid-19 and of developing a severe form of it,” says Giuseppe Remuzzi, an infectious-disease expert and director of the Mario Negri Institute, who oversaw the research. “That section is more important than any others to explain why some fall seriously ill.”

In Bergamo, 33% of those who developed life-threatening forms of Covid had the Neanderthal haplotype, Remuzzi said. The haplotype was less present in people who developed mild or no symptoms from a Covid infection.

About 2% of the genomes of people of European or Asian origin is inherited from Neanderthals, and has been linked to modern humans’ susceptibility to a variety of diseases.

The Italian research adds to a growing body of evidence suggesting that a cluster of Neanderthal genes increases the likelihood of developing severe forms of Covid-19.

A study published in the journal Nature in September 2020 first suggested that a genomic segment associated with more severe Covid-19 derived from Neanderthals, which interbred at various points with Homo sapiens before going extinct about 40,000 years ago.

The Nature study, co-written by Swedish scientist Svante Paabo, a winner of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, found that the Neanderthal genomic segment is carried by around 16% of Europeans and 50% of people in South Asia, parts of which also had high death tolls from Covid.

The Neanderthal haplotype is almost completely absent from Africa. That fact, along with factors such as a young population, could help explain why deaths and severe forms of the disease appeared to be less common in much of Africa than in some other world regions with better healthcare systems, scientists say.

https://www.wsj.com/health/wellness...to-severe-covid-risk-d992ccad?mod=djem10point

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

So the virus is racist?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Speciesist

7. basso

Supporting Member

against white people, i guess.

8. basso

Supporting Member

9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I remember when President Trump said this, there was a major out lash. I guess its okay under pedo Joe?

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You guys do realize the mutations of the virus have made it much weaker - right?

Of course you do - you would never blame a quality man like Fauci or Biden for worrying about their fellow man and being kind, right? RIGHT?

DD

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not the mutations made it weaker, it’s that we have an immune response to it from prior infection or immunization. It was so terrible in part because it was just that a novel coronavirus and for almost everyone on earth their first infection with a coronavirus is during childhood where the infection faces a much more adaptable immune system.

But even if it’s less severe, you can still have a bad outcome from infection just like with other cold causing viruses and influenza.

AXG, Invisible Fan and rocketsjudoka like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It can be both, there was a pretty big difference between delta and omicron when it came to infection fatality rate. There were countries like NZ and Australia that could measure that pretty well as they had significant percentages of their population who had both never been exposed to the virus / weren't vaccinated at the time the variant switched from delta to omicron

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think Fausti will out lash all the leftiest dinosaurs.

Xerobull, cheke64 and mikol13 like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously the COVID virus was engineered to wipe out Neanderthals for Cro-Magnon.

It’s the Great Neanderthal Replacement Theory

Buck Turgidson, Blake and No Worries like this.
  15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

A virus wants to stay alive as it dies when the host dies. Therefore when it mutates/evolves it is normally less lethal and more contagious. This is the normal evolution of most viruses.

#255 Blake, Sep 18, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
    Rashmon likes this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Reminds me of my ex-wife.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This seems off and doesn't mention the percentage of people who were vaccinated.

My wife and I both have fairly high Neanderthal genomes compared to most of the population (according to 23andMe), and our Covid infections were mild. I will say that my Covid brain fog was terrible and lasted a long time, but otherwise it was like a mild cold.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Can anyone who doesn't stream and watches commercials tell me whether the Geico Caveman made it through our modern Dark Ages?

It's just me, but I would not recommend giving her a shot or two in order to make her go away.

19. basso

Supporting Member

the study was looking at Bergamo early in the pandemic, before the vaccines were available.

fwiw, the two infections I had prior to getting vaxxed were non-events. the two after were more debilitating, although neither was what one would call severe.

I have more Neanderthal DNA than 26% of the population, according to 23&moi.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Oh, really?