1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

30 years ago, one decision altered the course of our connected world

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, May 1, 2023.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The World Wide Web just turned 30. I have been online almost daily since 1996. Now, I just want to log off and stay logged off.

30 years ago, one decision altered the course of our connected world
    April 30, 20237:00 AM ET

Thirty years ago, listeners tuning into Morning Edition heard about a futuristic idea that could profoundly change their lives.

"Imagine being able to communicate at-will with 10 million people all over the world," NPR's Neal Conan said. "Imagine having direct access to catalogs of hundreds of libraries as well as the most up-to-date news, business and weather reports. Imagine being able to get medical advice or gardening advice immediately from any number of experts.

"This is not a dream," he continued. "It's internet."

But even in the early 1990s, that space-age sales pitch was a long way from the lackluster experience of actually using the internet. It was almost entirely text-based, for one.

It was also difficult to use. To read a story from NPR, for example, you would need to know which network-equipped computer had the file you wanted, then coax your machine into communicating directly with the host. And good luck if the computers were made by different manufacturers.

But 30 years ago this week, that all changed. On April 30, 1993, something called the World Wide Web launched into the public domain.

The web made it simple for anyone to navigate the internet. All users had to do was launch a new program called a "browser," type in a URL and hit return.

This began the internet's transformation into the vibrant online canvas we use today. Anyone could build their own "web site" with pictures, video and sound. They could even send visitors to other sites using hyperlinked words or phrases underlined in blue. This became one of the web's most game-changing features, putting different corners of our digital knowledge-base just a mouse click away.

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I hear it used to take forever just to download a single nood.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was what text based pron was for.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Like so much of our major technology the internet has been a mixed blessing. The spread of knowledge has greatly benefitted humanity but it also has divided us and shackled us to our work in ways that we didn’t anticipate.

foe a personal example I will probably head back to Asia this summer because of family issues. This is a bad time because I have a several projects that I am either heading or critical for. Because the architectural
    Models and files we use are cloud based I can still work on even if the project is in North Dakota and I’m in Singapore. At the same
    Time it means I’m never away from my job and can’t take a true vacation.

In the 1960’s during the Golden Age of Science Fictions writers like Arthur C Clarke and Isaac Asimov wrote that instantaneous global communication would unite humanity and usher in greater understanding and rational thought. We would be one global humanity. Why they didn’t understand is that humans are tribal, suspicious and greedy by nature and just being able to talk to anyone also means you’re just as likely to argue with them than agree with them. Also information itself is neutral so the tools to spread science can also be used to spread propaganda and scams.

xcrunner51 and clos4life like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

We can also blame B-Bob for making instantaneous communication portable. :p

Deckard, Yung-T, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I can still remember those swimsuit babe pics coming up line by line when downloading from a local kid's BBS over dialup. LOL

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Meow!!!

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

i can’t imagine the dark ages before the internets. how did my parents even live?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was a jam.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Like receiving a signal from Voyager. LOL.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Clutchfans (not the bbs) was one of the first sites I found while in the computer lab between classes in college. Pretty sure I found it using Infoseek.

Then I got an AOL disc in the mail and life would never be the same.

"WELCOME!"

DreamShook and noscrusir like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I will always remember the dial-up noise. It was actually somewhat similar to the noise it would make when I was trying to load a program from an audio cassette tape into my first computer (Sinclair ZX Spectrum).

My wife met Tim Berners-Lee and chatted with him. Unfortunately, he has Parkinson's.

CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  14. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

It was clutchcity.com then, around 1996. Being a rabid Rockets fan, this site was one of the first things I discovered with the internet. Still here pretty much daily after all that time.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

AI gonna kill us all though. it was a good run.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not sure the WWW is what blew everything open or if the PC did. Maybe a combination of both. Most people didn't have a PC before then because they were too expensive and nobody really had a use for them, I guess. The Internet itself was already around for years by the time the WWW came around. I had a friend at UH who used to chat with his girlfriend in Ithaca, NY via terminal and the Internet. A lot of us used to run and/or post on BBS'es that got Internet Usenet newsgroup feeds where we could go to Usenet forums and post about whatever topics just like Reddit. This was made possible by store-and-forward networks like FidoNet that BBSes operated "on". We could send email through this network using NetMail, we could do file requests through FREQing (File REQuest).

I remember the first place I used to talk about Rockets, Oilers, etc. were on sports forums on BBSes in the 1980's and early 90's long before the WWW. alt.sports.basketball.nba.hou-rockets! That's where I found out about ClutchFans. :D

It was like the WWW was the evolution of all this and put a pretty face on all the old stuff, made it easier to navigate, etc. Now you had moms, dads, and grandpa involved where this type of communication used to be the realm of university students, geeks, etc.

Deckard and Invisible Fan like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Kathy Ireland or Cindy Crawford...

18. Buck Turgidson

or Rachel Hunter or Elle McPherson...

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Nikki Taylor or Tyra Banks...

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member