1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Giants @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 1, 2023.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Ahh, is France maybe like a Bielak? A guy that probably doesn't start long-term, but can spot start in case of injuries, games that don't matter as much, etc?

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Whip of 1.2. K rate of 9.1 per 9 IP. Lots of gopher balls. would you be more interested if I told you he gave up 9 ER in 21 innings? And had a 3.85 era? Because that’s what it would be if his inherited runners weren’t allowed to score. And he left every game with 2 outs so that could just as easily have happened (getting stranded) than what actually did happen.
    What if I told you there was some shitty defense behind him? What if I told you his HR rate isn’t sustainable, is unlucky and they’ve had a couple starts at high altitude? Would that change your mind? he has plus stuff. If those guys are out for a long time it’s worth a shot. You know Bielak is a stop gap only.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Allegedly more likely to be a reliever.

IBTL likes this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He was traded because he was out options. Weird that they would keep sending him down even though he he hit for .270 and had an OPS above .730

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You have to be careful while looking at AAA box scores. Some of the PCL parks are high altitude and very hitter friendly.

desihooper, CinematicFusion and IBTL like this.
  6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep. That’s why I was so excited about Brown last year. He had a 3 era down there and the PCL run environment is actually tougher for a pitcher than MLB even though the hitters ar e obviously better in MLB. That’s some nasty park effects/run environment!

IBTL likes this.
  7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Pena's bat is starting to wake up. 3 homers in the last 6 games.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Part of my concern with Whitley is comparing his situation to Brown's. I know with the injuries the equation is different, but Hunter had to grind it out in AAA for a long time being utterly dominant to finally get that call-up to the majors. To the point he started talking about it to the media, which sounded like he was getting frustrated. Then for Whitely to have had his attitude problems, injury history and having not pitched many innings at all for years to suddenly get a call up to the Show even though his results have been mostly crap to start the season. I'm sure Hunter would get over it, but I just hate the message that sends.

On the other hand, getting that sniff might be enough to snap Forest out of his issues in AAA...it's a tough call. But I feel like I'd rather see France for a month or so than Whitely. If you made Brown prove it in AAA, then Whitely should have to also.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Brown was incredibly unlucky being ready for MLB action when the MLB team had 6 starters even with LMJ hurt.

Bregatron likes this.
  10. conquistador#11

Radio funnies:
    Earlier when the Giants led 2-1
    They return from commercial break playing the Full House theme song.

Ford: " Somewhere Uncle Jesse is happy the Giants are winning."
    The best part of the quote doesn't show:
    " unlike here where it's family."
    [​IMG]

IBTL likes this.
  11. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I've read June at the earliest, but even that prediction has been equivocated.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

And... Luis, Framber, Urquidy, Keuchel, McHugh were all not considered promising prospects whereas Cosart, Asher, and others were...

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I would think late june at the earliest. Honestly, I would bet on sometime in July. I also wouldn't be surprised if he didn’t pitch this year.

Stephen66 likes this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

So what's the deal with his long-ass ****ing recovery time. He avoided TMJ right. Why is it taking so damn long?

15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Not really sure but I think his career is in jeopardy soon if he can’t turn this around. It’s a shame because his stuff is elite when he is on.

IBTL and DaChamp like this.
  16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Time to see what Dana Brown is made of.

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

LMJ was our best pitcher in 2021 up until he got hurt in the ALDS. I still don't know how we won the ALCS with no Verlander, no McCullers, a broken down Greinke, and Garcia, who had never pitched nearly as many innings as he was asked to do that year.

I'm not expecting him back, and would consider it a bonus if he does come back. People keep speculating about a second Tommy John, and that would suck if that's the case. Not too many guys have had that done, and I'm not aware of any who pitched at an elite level after a second TJ.

HatsForBats and IBTL like this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Lance will never be confused with an Ironman.

But in spring it was reported as "barely even a strain"

Unless they are hiding something, he should AT LEAST be able to pitch as much as last year.

8 starts and very good numbers.

I think Lance is a classic 2023 MLB starting pitcher.

6 man rotation and limited to 2 times through the order or 85 pitches whichever comes first.

Otherwise he gets hurt ever other month.

Stephen66, IBTL and Tomstro like this.
  19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

It wouldn't save him. He would probably still get hurt.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Gotta think they are hiding something or that it was worse than barely even a strain. Half man half season. Or not even half a season at this point, lol.